Battle of the Week : Battle of Hoth

stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Battle of the Week : Battle of Hoth

Post by stitch626 »

Yeah, as Seafort's saying, in space freezing isn't a problem. Its overheating.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

As an aside, to anyone with more EU knowledge than me - were the "foils" on the X-wing supposed to be radiators? They sure didn't have the proper cross-section to be airfoils for atmospheric operation.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

That's one theory - another is that they're simply mounting brackets for the lasers. I don't think their exact purpose has ever been stated.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

I've heard it proposed that the s-foils had maneuvering thrusters. Course, given the amount of "realism" they've ever shown for space maneuverings...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:That's one theory - another is that they're simply mounting brackets for the lasers. I don't think their exact purpose has ever been stated.
Hmm. Given that we've seen the lasers have all of zero depression, elevation, or swivel, it makes one wonder why they'd have pylons - and especially why they'd have pylons which have the added liability of variable geometry.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:Hmm. Given that we've seen the lasers have all of zero depression, elevation, or swivel
That's not quite the case - they're adjustable to converge at a set distance.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

From what I've seen (which doesn't include the EU, admittedly) they're fixed to converge at a given distance.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

In flight they are - the convergence distance is adjusted by the ground crew.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:In flight they are - the convergence distance is adjusted by the ground crew.
:wtf:
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

What so unusual about that? Pilot says he wants the lasers zeroed to 250m (or whatever) and the ground crew set them up appropriately.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:What so unusual about that? Pilot says he wants the lasers zeroed to 250m (or whatever) and the ground crew set them up appropriately.
What's unusual about that? Fixed forward-firing would make more sense. Pre-setting the point of convergence means that you effectively but an immutable cap on the range of the pilot's primary weapons before actually seeing the combat conditions.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Converging streams of fire is the norm for that sort of thing. WWII fighters, the basis of fighter combat in SW, all had their wing mounted guns converge at a set distance in front of the aircraft.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:Converging streams of fire is the norm for that sort of thing. WWII fighters, the basis of fighter combat in SW, all had their wing mounted guns converge at a set distance in front of the aircraft.
Set by the engineers who designed aircraft, or by ground wrenches who never even had a class about airborne tactics? Further, those WWII fighters you mention generally had a co-axial gun, and generally could have predictable engagement range.
as Bull offed Custer
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

Mikey wrote:
Tyyr wrote:Converging streams of fire is the norm for that sort of thing. WWII fighters, the basis of fighter combat in SW, all had their wing mounted guns converge at a set distance in front of the aircraft.
Set by the engineers who designed aircraft, or by ground wrenches who never even had a class about airborne tactics? Further, those WWII fighters you mention generally had a co-axial gun, and generally could have predictable engagement range.
They were able to be set by the pilots who would give instructions to the ground crew. Some wanted a sweep of their 6 guns converging at 200 yards, 400 yards and 600 yards. Others wanted all the guns to converge a single point at some distance out for maximum firepower. This is not really odd at all but was a matter of personal preference for the pilot.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Mikey wrote:Set by the engineers who designed aircraft, or by ground wrenches who never even had a class about airborne tactics? Further, those WWII fighters you mention generally had a co-axial gun, and generally could have predictable engagement range.
Set by the ground wrenches who had the pilots standing right beside them and worked with them hand in hand on a daily basis. And actually axial guns were not a given.

F4F Wildcat, F6F Hellcat, F4U Corsair, P40 Warhawk, P51 Mustang, P-47 Thunderbolt, Supermarine Spitfire, Hurricane, all ME-109's after the C model, FW190, A6M Zero, and those are all the ones just off the top of my head that had guns mounted in the wings.

Also, with the down right pedestrian velocities of the laser cannon bolts fried by the X-Wing's cannons I'd say that their engagement range would be pretty predictable as in awful fucking close.