Ship of the Week 2 : Acclamator Class

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Ship of the Week 2 : Acclamator Class

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:How was the hit against the MF calculated? Can you show me a source?
Ask and ye shall receive

It's based on the momentum imparted to the Falcon, assuming the bolt is massless.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well I'll be damned...

Thanks.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

That's the thing with a lot of Star Wars. The technology is treated as (and often looks) so innocuous that it can be quite a surprise when you run the numbers and realise how big they are.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Not just the tech, but the numbers involved as well. Consider that the Battle of Endor Moon involved a single Imperial Sector Fleet plus Vader's Squadron and the Empire was divided in as many as a thousand sectors with over a million subsectors.

The scale of SW is funny in that the people living in it have been doing so for 25000 years. The pure scope of things that would boogle our minds to try and see is something that is of minor note to them. I think that is a part of what makes SW so much fun.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Not just the tech, but the numbers involved as well. Consider that the Battle of Endor Moon involved a single Imperial Sector Fleet plus Vader's Squadron and the Empire was divided in as many as a thousand sectors with over a million subsectors.
And the rest. The Empire was 4,002 sectors at a bare minimum, and probably tens of thousands. This, of course, further reinforces your point, but I think it's worth mentioning.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Were all those sectors Imperial though is the question. It seems a lot of the galaxy stayed out of Imperial control even at its peak.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Were all those sectors Imperial though is the question.
The minimum is based on the size of the Imperial Senate as of RotS. The various other estimates come from simply dividing the known one million member worlds by various estimates of the average size of a sector.
It seems a lot of the galaxy stayed out of Imperial control even at its peak.
Define "a lot". A few billion stars? Pfft. Peanuts.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:The minimum is based on the size of the Imperial Senate as of RotS. The various other estimates come from simply dividing the known one million member worlds by various estimates of the average size of a sector.
Again, there's nothing to say that all those sectors remained a part of the Republic as it turned into the Empire. Which is where the question comes from.
Captain Seafort wrote:Define "a lot". A few billion stars? Pfft. Peanuts.
Can't since we don't have an accurate count. But I would bet about 20% of the outer rim stayed out of the Empire.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Again, there's nothing to say that all those sectors remained a part of the Republic as it turned into the Empire. Which is where the question comes from.
Evidence that they left? The Empire was the Republic. It largely retained the same political structure, claimed the same territory, and was somewhat more proactive when it came to cracking heads together. Or cracking heads full stop, for that matter. If any system tried to secede, how long do you think they'd last?
But I would bet about 20% of the outer rim stayed out of the Empire.
Based on what? Given that most of the region was under Tarkin's Oversector Outer, and hundreds of additional sectors came under Bright Jewel Oversector, the chances of any independent holdings remaining is remote, to put it mildly. Even worlds like Tatooine, which had de facto independence under the Republic, was clearly and firmly under the control of the Empire in ANH.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Deepcrush wrote:Not just the tech, but the numbers involved as well. Consider that the Battle of Endor Moon involved a single Imperial Sector Fleet plus Vader's Squadron and the Empire was divided in as many as a thousand sectors with over a million subsectors.

The scale of SW is funny in that the people living in it have been doing so for 25000 years. The pure scope of things that would boogle our minds to try and see is something that is of minor note to them. I think that is a part of what makes SW so much fun.
In the "Tales of the Bounty hunters", there is a mention about a star going nova and wiping out a society. Boba Fett never heard about it, as the sheer size of the galaxy meant such things tended to happen. Alderaan aroused more mention, because it was done deliberately.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

We also know of groups such as the Hapes and the Merchants Guild which remained apart of the Empire.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Coalition wrote:Alderaan aroused more mention, because it was done deliberately.
So was Emberlene, but it was barely even known of. Alderaan got talked about because it was one the oldest of the core worlds.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:We also know of groups such as the Hapes and the Merchants Guild which remained apart of the Empire.
And Hutt Space, and the CSA. Pathetically small entities. The Hapes Cluster was the size of only a single sector, and the CSA's fleet was the strength of only ten backwater sectors. It's like mentioning someone's flowerbed in a discussion about the size of the US.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:We also know of groups such as the Hapes and the Merchants Guild which remained apart of the Empire.
And Hutt Space, and the CSA. Pathetically small entities. The Hapes Cluster was the size of only a single sector, and the CSA's fleet was the strength of only ten backwater sectors. It's like mentioning someone's flowerbed in a discussion about the size of the US.
Fact remains that whole sectors remained apart of the Empire. That it was common enough that Han and Leia felt no need to question Lando's speaking of it is also impressive.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Fact remains that whole sectors remained apart of the Empire. That it was common enough that Han and Leia felt no need to question Lando's speaking of it is also impressive.
And? The existence of nominally independent political entities in no way supports your assertion that significant chunks of the galaxy were outside Imperial control.