Ship of the Week : Venator Class Star Destroyer

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Ship of the Week : Venator Class Star Destroyer

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:IIRC, the ICS stats the VicStar at ten heavy guns where the VenStar has eight. Thats what I was drawing from. As to the 60/60 end of it, I've never seen anything that stated they are the same and the model clearly shows the eight dual turrets.
I've never heard anything about the ICS describing the Vic's armament, the only source is the same one that states the obviously wrong 60/60 figures for the ISD.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I don't see why the 60/60 has to be wrong. Considering we know that the ISD has more then one type of Turbolaser and Ion Cannon. 60/60 is just the total.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:I don't see why the 60/60 has to be wrong. Considering we know that the ISD has more then one type of Turbolaser and Ion Cannon. 60/60 is just the total.
The EGWT describes them as being identical. The only way I think they can be rationalised is that they're referring to the light batteries only - the equivalent of the Ven's 52 twin laser cannon/light TLs. That raises the awkward question of why they'd ignore the ship's heaviest weapons, but it at least makes some semblance of sense.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I pegged it as there were 60 turbolasers in all. 12 heavy turbolasers with 48 light turbolasers. The Ven's twin laser cannon aren't turbolasers though. Then again as stated in another thread, its fully possible that its all the above when one considers the pure number of SDs built and the number of places that built them.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:I pegged it as there were 60 turbolasers in all. 12 heavy turbolasers with 48 light turbolasers.
As I said, the EGWT states that the ISD is armed with 60 identical Taim & Bak XX-9 TLs. Incidentally, it wouldn't be 12 heavies, 48 lights, it would be 16 heavies (8 twin turrets), 8 trench notch guns (2 quads, possibly only one on some ships), 9 axle guns (3 triples) and 2 heavy hangar guns. Total 31-35 heavy guns, 85-89 lights, counting both TLs and ion cannon.
The Ven's twin laser cannon aren't turbolasers though.
The designation may be based on operating mechanism rather than power output. My issue is that I can't see a warship like the Ven having a weaker secondary armament than a mere troop transport, which would be the case is the "laser cannon" designation is based on power output.
Then again as stated in another thread, its fully possible that its all the above when one considers the pure number of SDs built and the number of places that built them.
Possibly, but I can't see such major aspects of the design as the heavy aft turrets being completely removed. Variations in their armament, maybe (extra ion cannon, mixing ISD1 twins with ISD2 octuples, etc), but not removing them altogether. Even Accuser/Emancipator is quite an extreme design modification, given her lack of brim trenches.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:As I said, the EGWT states that the ISD is armed with 60 identical Taim & Bak XX-9 TLs.
Yeah, I'm not going to put any trust in that. :lol:
Captain Seafort wrote:Incidentally, it wouldn't be 12 heavies, 48 lights, it would be 16 heavies (8 twin turrets), 8 trench notch guns (2 quads, possibly only one on some ships), 9 axle guns (3 triples) and 2 heavy hangar guns. Total 31-35 heavy guns, 85-89 lights, counting both TLs and ion cannon.
Six of the heavy twins are HTLs while the other two are Ion. You were the one to informed me of this some time ago.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I take it you didn't read my last sentence, despite quoting it?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:The designation may be based on operating mechanism rather than power output. My issue is that I can't see a warship like the Ven having a weaker secondary armament than a mere troop transport, which would be the case is the "laser cannon" designation is based on power output.
The lighter weapons are meant for taking out fighters which when facing the CIS is a serious concern. We know from ANH that TLs have trouble hitting fighter craft. Also considering we saw fighters inflicting damage to the DS1 hull with no real trouble, those lighter mounts aboard the Ven shouldn't have any real trouble punching through CIS hulls.
Possibly, but I can't see such major aspects of the design as the heavy aft turrets being completely removed. Variations in their armament, maybe (extra ion cannon, mixing ISD1 twins with ISD2 octuples, etc), but not removing them altogether. Even Accuser/Emancipator is quite an extreme design modification, given her lack of brim trenches.
I was just putting forward the most likely possible explanation on why we see so many different armaments in the EU.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:I take it you didn't read my last sentence, despite quoting it?
I take it you're right about that for once... WHOOPS! :x