Random Musings

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Random Musings

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

The Dark Side is corruptive, corrosive to the soul like acid. That's why Luke threw away his Saber in ROTJ-to not become like his father. Because with the Force, what you are in the dark does matter. And that's one of the things I like about it.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:The good the Emperor did.....he cared for Anakin from the time he was nine.
No he didn't. He gave him an apparently sympathetic ear from the time he was nine, but at the same time grooming him to become his apprentice. Look at the difference in Anakin's personality between TPM and AotC. In the former he's trusting, honest, and goes far out of his way to help people he's only known for a day. In the latter he's a selfish arrogant prick. Part of that would certainly be due to the Jedi simultaneously telling him he was the chosen one and subjecting him under a long list of what he could and couldn't do. Part of it was Kenobi being a bad teacher (which he admitted himself, with hindsight). Part of it was undoubtedly Palpatine deliberately encouraging any frustration he felt while at the same time portraying himself as the one friendly face on Coruscant, without the demands and restrictions the Jedi invariably imposed.
Yes.....he wanted him as an apprentice, but remember how the Sith work. Anakin would have to destroy him one day to become the master, and he was helping Anakin to achieve that potential.
And? Sidious only cared about Anakin as a tool in a greater plan - the destruction of the Jedi Order and the domination of the galaxy by the Sith. Whether or not he also saw himself as such a tool at the time, or whether he already intended install himself as Emperor in perpetuity, is unclear. His brag to Yoda about Vader becoming more powerful than either of suggests the former, but it could just as easily be him lying. He would not, after all, want to give anyone any advanced warning, least of all Yoda.
I wonder about the "grey area" between the Jedi and the Sith. Both seem fanatical. Would you be evil if you used both sides of the Force to help others?
That's how Anakin developed during the Clone Wars. Drawing on his anger and hatred for Dooku, Greivous, etc, to increase his power in any given fight, with the objective of ending the war faster. The problem is that the Dark Side is a drug - the more you use it, the more you will, it twists your mind, and the end result in Anakin's case was Darth Vader.
And if the Sideous and Vader weren't as maniacal as they were....willing to destroy entire planets....would it have mattered to the general populace if they had Jedi or Sith protecting them?
As Mikey says, that's effectively saying "what if the Sith weren't Sith".
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I always imagined palps in the early days of Anakin being there slipping him some candy or something when they met. "Oh, don't worry. Master Kenobi wouldn't mind... but let's just keep this our little secret, shall we?"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I always imagined palps in the early days of Anakin being there slipping him some candy or something when they met. "Oh, don't worry. Master Kenobi wouldn't mind... but let's just keep this our little secret, shall we?"
So what, Palp is a Catholic Priest now???
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Let's see... funky robes? Check. Intimate but secret relationship with a young boy? Check. Thirst for power and penchant for oratory? Check.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Deepcrush wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I always imagined palps in the early days of Anakin being there slipping him some candy or something when they met. "Oh, don't worry. Master Kenobi wouldn't mind... but let's just keep this our little secret, shall we?"
Sort of:

Bite my shiny metal ass
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Pfft. That's Darth Benny to you heathens. :P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:
Well, he did say he'd watch young Anakin 'with great interest' at the end of TPM, right?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:Pfft. That's Darth Benny to you heathens. :P
Hey. Pope Brownshirt Benedict let my peops off the hook. Cool breeze.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Huh, interesting points Mikey and Seafort. Riddle me this though.........in RofJ, we see Luke use the Force Choke that his father is so fond of to get into Jabba's lair. Wouldn't such use of the Force be considered "Dark Side"?

Sideous and Vader. They could easily have continued to dominate the galaxy without eradicating the entire world of Aldarran. In fact, had they continued how they started, the Rebellion never would have gained the support it did. They HAD complete power and could have done whatever the hell they wanted. The Sith had finally won.

The wanton destruction makes no sense to me.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Yeah, that was Dark. And by the climax he's near killing Vader in rage and starting down that Dark Path.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Bear in mind that I have NO experience with the EU. That said...
Mark wrote:we see Luke use the Force Choke that his father is so fond of to get into Jabba's lair. Wouldn't such use of the Force be considered "Dark Side"?
Probably. Remember that Luke was in no way trained the traditional way of training a Jedi. In TPM, they were thinking that Anakin might have been too old... Luke didn't even start - informally - until he was eighteen. Then, his training consisted of an '80's montage, without the lifelong dedication of Jedi training or the facilities that the Jedi had when the order still existed. Add to that the fact that your example was hardly the only one of Luke leaning perilously close to the Dark Side - he regularly used the power of aggression to fuel his lightsaber duelling, for example.
Mark wrote:Sideous and Vader. They could easily have continued to dominate the galaxy without eradicating the entire world of Aldarran. In fact, had they continued how they started, the Rebellion never would have gained the support it did. They HAD complete power and could have done whatever the hell they wanted. The Sith had finally won.

The wanton destruction makes no sense to me.
Yes, that's why they were the Sith, not the "moderately nasty administrators."
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mark wrote:Huh, interesting points Mikey and Seafort. Riddle me this though.........in RofJ, we see Luke use the Force Choke that his father is so fond of to get into Jabba's lair. Wouldn't such use of the Force be considered "Dark Side"?
I never read the novelization so maybe it's clarified in the novel, but was it force joke? It always seemed like a force sleep or stun to me.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sonic Glitch wrote:force joke?
I'm picturing Moe holding up a hand, and Larry and Curly slapping themselves.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

:lol:

Personally I think Luke's use of agression may not even translate into the Force. Though I did read a nice little article once that by having only Luke who could be a near perfect balance between Light and Dark Sides he brought about to the balance of the Force.

I remember it from the movies as being a Force Choke. The way the pig faced aline grasped his throat for air suggests a choke. The Jedi I think banned such use of the Force because it is 'Dark'. I think without the strict guidlines, Luke can do what he wants using the Force.

Of course later on, in the EU Luke becomes more like the Old Order in his rules. But I generally ignore EU.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"