4 Star Admiral

Star Wars Saga To Go 3D

Post by Sionnach Glic »

'Star Wars' saga set for 3D release starting 2012
Films will roll out in order, starting with 'Phantom Menace'

By Jay A. Fernandez and Kim Masters

Sept 28, 2010, 08:49 PM ET
Big news on the 3D front.

Sources indicate that George Lucas is set to re-release the entire "Star Wars" franchise in new 3D conversions beginning in 2012. Though the 3D versions have been rumored for some time, Lucas was purportedly waiting until there were enough 3D screens available to make the release a sizable enough event.

Fox, which released all six of the original "Star Wars" films, would also release the 3D versions.

Part 1, "The Phantom Menace," would be first out of star-dock in the early months of 2012. After that, each of the films would be released in order at the same time each consecutive year, depending on how well the first re-release does.

Each conversion takes at least a year to complete, with Lucas personally overseeing the process to make sure each one is as perfected as possible. Lucas has said that the "Avatar" experience convinced him that "Star Wars" was ready for the state-of-the-art 3D treatment.

Also pushing the timetable is a potential breakthrough in 3D television technology. With Samsung penetrating the market with 50,000-plus 3D-equipped televisions, and Sony planning to send its version to market in the coming months, the home-viewing experience could be primed for 3D DVD versions of the classic films by the time the new 3D series runs its course.

Lucas is purportedly queuing up the theatrical re-releases as a lead-in to the ultimate home viewing experience. Beyond that, the property would launch to all other 3D media.

Alex Ben Block and Borys Kit contributed to this report.
Blech. It'll look terrible. These movies, particularly the original ones, weren't made with this sort of thing in mind. It'll look really out of place.

That said, I may go to see the original trilogy again, if only to be able to see the Star Destroyer from ANH flying overhead on the big screen. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Star Wars Saga To Go 3D

Post by Mark »

I'm gonna disagree. The original deathstar trench run is gonna look friggin' awsome in 3D. So is the Battle of Hoth. The Battle of Endor.....I dunno. I always felt cheated there.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I agree with Sionnach. These movies were never blocked to take advantage of 3D; and while Lucas' supervision may mean that they aren't negatively affected, I doubt that there will be too much positive effect either.

That said, my son will be 3 - 1/2 when the releases start, so...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

All three of my kids love the SW saga. Even that damned cartoon movie. I think they'll be quite stoked about it.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Kinda useless for me. I don't care about the 3D thing. And one of my friends gets motion sickness from it to boot.
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

'Star Wars' saga set for 3D release starting 2012

Part 1, "The Phantom Menace," would be first out of star-dock in the early months of 2012. After that, each of the films would be released in order at the same time each consecutive year, depending on how well the first re-release does.

Ewww...we have to bare the prequels first :madashell:
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

USSEnterprise wrote:Ewww...we have to bare the prequels first :madashell:
Look on the bright side, at least they'll display a fairly consistent improvement in quality rather than going through the OT and then suffering a massive drop before RotS.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.