The Psychology of Darth Vader Revealed

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: The Psychology of Darth Vader Revealed

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Always did wanna write a 'Qui-Gon trains Anakin' fic. For me, Anakin needed a father figure like Qui-Gon.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Qui-gon would have taken him back to get his mother at some point. Or at least wouldn't have stopped him from going. I'd bet a lot of the stuff that messed up Anikin could have and would have been avoided.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

So, Anakin has borderline personality Disorder.
How could actions have been taken to prevent Anakin from succumbing to the Dark Side, or from further developing his Borderline personality Disorder, or becoming actively dangerous?

Generally speaking
1. Decent and Accessible healthcare on Tattooine, Coruscant, the Jedi Order, and wherever Anakin went, so he would have a remedy at hand.
2. Is there any kind of medication against Borderline, if yes, would the Star Wars verse be able to develop that or at least an equivalent?
3. Jedi psychiatrists. For both counselling and medication. Considering it is such a tough job, I suppose PTSS and the like will be developing like crazy, as well as other latent issues on psychological level.
4. If possible, someone should delve into the Dark Side under strict supervision to find out more about its nature and how it can be countered better. Know thy enemy.

Tatooine
1. One way of avoiding that mess was not training Anakin at all and leaving the kid where he already was, leaving them both as slaves.
2. Somehow freeing both Shmi and Anakin, so they could live together in freedom, providing further stabilizing factors to their lives.
3. Letting Anakin visit his mother periodically, or making sure they have some contact. It would soothe his mind and would let the order know wether or not Shmi would need help or would be in danger.
4. Killing the kid, possibly the mother as well. A simple solution and the Jedi would keep their high ground in the Force and one less potential Sith/un-trained Force-sensitive to worry about.
5. Ensuring Shmi wouldn not die in such a violent way, or at least ensuring she would die peacefully.
6. Are there ways of severing one's link with the Force?

Anakin himself
1. After hearing so often how evil the Dark Side must be, strafings with the Dark Side should be sufficienr grounds to seek out a psychiatrist of some sort.

Jedi Order
1. Psychiatrists. 'nuff said.
2. Periodic 'Dark Side Checks'
3. Toning down the pr side of the war, so Anakin and Obi-Wan would be less in the spotlights and would have fewer issues to be dealt with, media attention can be a problem.
4. Not putting so much emphasis on him possible being the Chosen One. Messiah complexes and all that can be nasty buggers.
5. Setting up Republic-wide Force detection programs, to get potential apprentices when they are young and potential Dark siders when they're young. A simple blood test at birth should be sufficient, with possible later counselling to detet the alignment of the users, thus preventing Anakin from becoming too 'old', or going dark on his own.
6. Allowing Jedi to have some sway about marriage and the like. Jedi aren't forbidden from marrying, but they should avoid all attachment but for one connection, with the Force.
7. Are memory wipes possible in Star Wars? If yes, they could be used to completely sever emotional bonds with the past of padawans.
8. When Jedi display strange uses of the Force and/or morally questionable actions, they should be suspended from action and perhaps be engaged in a different part of the order after appropriate treatment.
9. Visions of people should be catalogued and easily accessible n given a thorough debating over to find their relevance, veracity, and possible consequences. For example, the vision of Darth Vader 1000 years before Anakin was born.
10. The Prder said Anakin was already too emotionally attached, as wel as having too many emotions like fear, hatred, and so on. Isn't the Force or some medication capable of removing emotions?
11. The Order probably has separate standards for the various species, but shoudn't the age for admission and the amount of emotional bonding be reviewed per potential Jedi. i.e. a more personal approach?
12. Jedi's taking an apprentice should also have classes on properly educating a padawan, exerting authority and the like. A knight having a padawan is simultaneously a colleague, a tutor, parent and babysitter.

Palpatine
1. And for that matter, the rest of the population. they should undergo periodic checks for Dark Side affiliation and Force Sensitivity.
2. Not letting Palpatine getting so much power in politics, preventing the establishment of the empire and cultivating his power.
3. Background checks for Senatours and politicians.
4. Somehow counteracting the Force Stealth ability. One way would be entering their minds, if the hind side of the brain rebuffs the probing, it is considered characteristic of Force sensitivity.

Padmé
1. Amidala and her retinue should have stayed on the ship on Tatooine.
2. Severing ties and contact with Anakin, Obi-Wan and other Jedi might have helped dissolving her relation with Anakin. Thus there are fewer persons Anakin has to wory about.
2a. After meeting anakin for the first time in 10 years, she should have sent him off to a psychiatrist to rid huim of his fascination with her. It would have saved a lot of trouble.
3. Should she even be allowed to marry a Jedi?
4. As for Amidala's pregnancy, contraceptives would have prevented her getting pregnant and subsequently her death in childbirth.
5. For that matter, Caesarian birth or subduing her nervous systems, so the pain at least wouldn't kill Amidala.
6. Something should give her the will to live, even just her children, after the attack by Vader.
7. Where did the visions of Padmé dying even come from? People should be a bit more sceptical about such things, as they may just as well be stray thoughts leading a life of their own.

Qui-Gon Jinn
1. Not insisting on training Anakin.
2. There must have been another way of acquiring that hyperdrive or repair the ship.
3. Respecting the wishes of the Jedi Council for not training Anakin.

Obi-Wan
1. Not training Anakin.
2. Not giving in to Qui-Gon's wish to have Anakin trained.
3. Alerting someone in the order to deal with Anakin's strafings to the Dark Side.

Any other solutions?
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I think shran basically covered it all, basically they were morons for the most part, with all they could have done.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

"Anakin, are you all right?"

One simple question... Did anyone ever ask him that?
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Nope, he's a Jedi. Apparently going off the teachings of pretty much every Jedi master we see the Jedi are supposed to suck it up and take it like a man.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Hence why I hate the Jedi (as an order, not individuals).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

TBF, I think there was a reason for the guidelines which Qui-Gon completely ignored.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yes, they liked to brainwash them young and beat their emotions out of them when they're too small to fight back.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:Yes, they liked to brainwash them young and beat their emotions out of them when they're too small to fight back.
I didn't say it was happy, I said it would have done the trick if Ani wasn't even taken in.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer