The Inevitable Canon Debate

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The Inevitable Canon Debate

Post by Captain Seafort »

DSG2k wrote:We've never observed cloaks in the Lucas canon before, so there's actually nothing to compare it to. The EU is a separate universe
On the contrary - the following statement is on the official site:
Individual movies come and go, as do TV shows, video games, books. They all contribute to the lore of Star Wars, but in the end it is one saga and that saga is called Star Wars. We've wanted to send a clear message to our fans that everything we do is part of that overall saga.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Star Wars Cloaking Devices

Post by Aaron »

If this turns into a canon argument, can we split it? I'd like to continue to bash the Republics kit without distraction. ;)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The Inevitable Canon Debate

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Way ahead of you. :wink:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Are we supposed to treat DSG2k as a person and respect his thoughts and comments now? Because if so, I see my 5th kick coming up real soon.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

It kind of comes across as baiting honestly. "Hey guys, totally different continuity. *shush* Don't say anything."

Shite, now we have to move this over as well.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I told you.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Why would you treat him any different then anyone else here? If I said something dumb like "the US Marines all wear fishnets under their dress uniforms", how would you respond. I don't recall any particular need to be super-polite. Just not to be a dick.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

But the problem is... I'm an asshole... lets not kid ourselves. I really don't care about being polite. Though to be fair I should treat everyone the same. But what if I don't care?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Chill guys. I can see you lot have all been having a whole heap of fun together over in the TOS forum, but at least wait until someone does something flame-worthy before commencing primary ignition. You've got to conserve ammo for the real fight. :wink:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

There is no "out of ammo", only "fire" and "reload".

Quick, someone point out my shite spelling and poor punctuation so we can have a circle-jerk over how clever we are. ;)
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

You spelled something wrong... I can't tell.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
DSG2k
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DSG2k »

If you have a specific counterargument to something on the linked page, feel free to post it. But bear in mind also that the blog attached to the site is currently the best place for updates related to all the various statements of Lucas, Filoni, et al. related to TCW and its status as part of the Lucas universe.

EU advertising materials like the bit from the official site aren't that noteworthy.

Thank you.

(Edited to make clear that I was referring to the bit from the official site.)
(Edited to make specific record of the edit above. Plus this one.)
Last edited by DSG2k on Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I'm curious as to the point of even mentioning the EU and continuity. If you hadn't, we'd still be merrily bashing the Republics dumb-arse designs rather then pointlessly nitpicking the canon status of Lucas's gravy train.
DSG2k
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DSG2k »

Cpl Kendall wrote:I'm curious as to the point of even mentioning the EU and continuity. If you hadn't, we'd still be merrily bashing the Republics dumb-arse designs rather then pointlessly nitpicking the canon status of Lucas's gravy train.
Because we've never seen cloaking devices before. It was exciting. I've been wondering what they could actually do for years, myself, so I ate "Cat and Mouse" right up like a kid in a candy store, rather than sitting there rattling off EU (non-)contradictions.

Besides which . . . most people, if they're paying it any mind, have pretty much figured out that Lucas is running TCW, and that he's rolling all over the EU. Hence the Karen Traviss departure and all the EU-phile wailing and gnashing of teeth. It's pretty much a dead argument at this point.

(No offense intended by that statement, I'm just sayin' that the idea that the Expanded Universe has any sway in the Lucas universe is an outmoded idea that's dying off pretty quickly. Mostly you hear these days of people bitchin' how Lucas is pooping all over it (especially when Filoni tries to get him to use some bit of EU but he only uses half (e.g. Ryloth), and then his half poops on what EU was left).

I just don't hear a lot of people still trying to defend the idea that the EU counts for much in the Lucas universe. Most interested people have heard at least a quote or two of Lucas saying it was a parallel, separate universe, and between all those various quotes and his treatment of the EU with TCW they've pretty much gotten the idea that Lucas has been trying to convey for years now.)
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

DSG2k wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:I'm curious as to the point of even mentioning the EU and continuity. If you hadn't, we'd still be merrily bashing the Republics dumb-arse designs rather then pointlessly nitpicking the canon status of Lucas's gravy train.
Because we've never seen cloaking devices before. It was exciting. I've been wondering what they could actually do for years, myself, so I ate "Cat and Mouse" right up like a kid in a candy store, rather than sitting there rattling off EU (non-)contradictions.

Besides which . . . most people, if they're paying it any mind, have pretty much figured out that Lucas is running TCW, and that he's rolling all over the EU. Hence the Karen Traviss departure and all the EU-phile wailing and gnashing of teeth. It's pretty much a dead argument at this point.

(No offense intended by that statement, I'm just sayin' that the idea that the Expanded Universe has any sway in the Lucas universe is an outmoded idea that's dying off pretty quickly. Mostly you hear these days of people bitchin' how Lucas is pooping all over it (especially when Filoni tries to get him to use some bit of EU but he only uses half (e.g. Ryloth), and then his half poops on what EU was left).

I just don't hear a lot of people still trying to defend the idea that the EU counts for much in the Lucas universe. Most interested people have heard at least a quote or two of Lucas saying it was a parallel, separate universe, and between all those various quotes and his treatment of the EU with TCW they've pretty much gotten the idea that Lucas has been trying to convey for years now.)
There is a canon hierarchy. So the contradictions are dealt with by saying that something is at a higher level of canon. That doesn't make what is not contradicted non-canon.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang