Star Wars Cloaking Devices On Film/TV

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Star Wars Cloaking Devices

Post by Aaron »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:FFS, you'd think it would be easy to find a clip on Youtube, but it's all fan shite.
I hate that.
On the other hand, I'm re-watching RLM's review of TPM. Damn he's funny.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yeah, I loved that. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

"Whats wrong with your face?"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

:lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I've been wandering around the house for months now going "whats wrong, thing in the mouth face?"

The kids have started doing it. :oops:
DSG2k
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DSG2k »

stitch626 wrote:
DSG2k wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I distinctly remember the ship cloaking while approaching a planet... but I will admit my mind is not the sharpest tack in the drawer. As I don't have time tonight, tomorrow I'll watch through TPM and see if his ship does, in fact, cloak. If it doesn't, than I apologize... and request a mental reboot.
Request granted, 'cause you won't find it. Sorry.
No need to be a jerk about it.
I wasn't being a jerk. I think you've carried over your anger and hostility from the TOS thread. Please don't accuse me of things that aren't the case.
Besides, if you look it up, she does indeed have a cloak and does decloak in TPM.
In the film? Nossir, never happened, sorry.

(That's not 'jerk'. That's stating fact and even considering your feelings with the "sorry". Just FYI.)
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

DSG2k wrote:
Besides, if you look it up, she does indeed have a cloak and does decloak in TPM.
In the film? Nossir, never happened, sorry.

So what if it doesn't happen in the film? It is somewhere and therefore is canon. Therefore your wrong... Sorry
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
DSG2k
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DSG2k »

I find it best not to assume self-contradiction in the canon, thank you. We know cloaking devices exist, we know that there's a size limitation, and we know Maul's fighter does not meet the size/length requirement. To assume otherwise without direct proof is a very unique idea, but I don't think it has anything to do with this thread.

Now, if you want to discuss the size/length requirement based on the Falcon and the "Cat and Mouse" prototype in the context of whether or not we might expect Maul's ship to have one, then we'd be on-topic.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

DSG2k wrote:I find it best not to assume self-contradiction in the canon, thank you. We know cloaking devices exist, we know that there's a size limitation, and we know Maul's fighter does not meet the size/length requirement. To assume otherwise without direct proof is a very unique idea, but I don't think it has anything to do with this thread.
There's a difference between self-contradiction and misinformation... Can you tell me what the smallest nuclear reactor in the world is right at this very moment? If you can't then my point is proven.

No one person can know every single piece of technology and if it was a statement by a character then that means it can very well be wrong, because people can be wrong.
The world ended

DSG2k
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DSG2k »

Nickswitz wrote:
DSG2k wrote:I find it best not to assume self-contradiction in the canon, thank you. We know cloaking devices exist, we know that there's a size limitation, and we know Maul's fighter does not meet the size/length requirement. To assume otherwise without direct proof is a very unique idea, but I don't think it has anything to do with this thread.
There's a difference between self-contradiction and misinformation... Can you tell me what the smallest nuclear reactor in the world is right at this very moment? If you can't then my point is proven.
Flawed analogy.

1. I'm not a naval officer.
2. Even if I were, that information wouldn't be necessary. Now, if you wanted to say something like "would a naval officer be able to estimate what the smallest ship capable of mounting a 16" gun might be?", then you might be going somewhere. The cloak is a tactical system . . . a naval captain would probably have a good idea of it.
No one person can know every single piece of technology and if it was a statement by a character then that means it can very well be wrong, because people can be wrong.
I reject the notion that characters are idiots. That line of thinking is usually used by people who want to interject their own ideas in the place of canon information, which is the exact opposite of what I'm interested in. I'm here to discuss and analyze Star Wars, not your imagination.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Ok, just because I'm tired and don't feel like getting worked up over this I'm going to drop it for now. I am not at all conceding, I am getting out of the argument.
The world ended

DSG2k
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DSG2k »

I'm quite willing to agree to disagree. Have a good rest.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

DSG2k wrote:
Flawed analogy.

1. I'm not a naval officer.
2. Even if I were, that information wouldn't be necessary. Now, if you wanted to say something like "would a naval officer be able to estimate what the smallest ship capable of mounting a 16" gun might be?", then you might be going somewhere. The cloak is a tactical system . . . a naval captain would probably have a good idea of it.
Thats still a flawed analogy. The 16' gun has been out of service and production for decades now, the average Captain would likely just go "duh a Battleship."
I reject the notion that characters are idiots. That line of thinking is usually used by people who want to interject their own ideas in the place of canon information, which is the exact opposite of what I'm interested in. I'm here to discuss and analyze Star Wars, not your imagination.
It doesn't require them to be idiots, thats your own interpretation. It simply requires them to be wrong, or misinformed. A Captain in a galaxy spanning Navy may well not know every little tidbit, especially if command doesn't know it itself. We know damn well that Palpatine kept things to himself and I doubt he's going to advertise that one of his operatives had a ship with a cloak.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

For example, if you asked Picard if any Federation ship had a cloaking device in the past decade, he'd say "absolutely not". He'd be wrong, as the Pegasus had a cloak (however illegal it was).

Simply put, Needa could not know everything about every powers' technology. Its not like he was a 1000 year old sith lord.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
DSG2k
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DSG2k »

Oh good grief.

Look, I'm here to discuss Star Wars, not your imaginations. I analyze Star Wars. It's a hobby. And right now, the best information we have is that a ship as small as the Falcon is too small to have a cloaking device, and as of the Clone Wars era even a ship as small as the ~135 meter prototype ship is considered too small to usually mount one. Further, there is no canon evidence for a cloaking device on Maul's ship, which is smaller than even the Falcon, and only active ten years prior to the Clone Wars.

Could Lucas wake up tomorrow and decide that the next TCW show to feature a cloaking device will show one functioning on a vehicle the size of a Yugo? Sure he could. But that would be a surprise to everyone, and would run contrary to Needa's statement, and thus it would represent a change to the canon and to our interpretations thereof, just as "Pegasus" would've had Picard made the statement you imagine. But in the meantime, there is absolutely no evidence that Needa was wrong, so if we're going to try to understand Star Wars we must do so on the basis of the idea that Needa was right. To do otherwise is to reject the mental exercise that comes with analyzing something, and instead to simply begin mental masturbation.

Therefore, by trying to argue the point, you guys are no longer discussing Star Wars, but instead trying to insert your own opinions in place of Star Wars fact, driven no doubt by the fact that I'm no longer participating in the other thread in which you were arguing in favor of fallacies.

Now, if you would like to analyze and discuss real Star Wars, I'm interested. If you simply want to carry on against me personally, then you're being time vampires and I am not interested in wasting time with you. Do I make myself clear?