Star Wars Cloaking Devices On Film/TV

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Star Wars Cloaking Devices

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:I can try.
I could try to respect the french and care about the russians. Both of us would fail.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:"No ship that small has a cloaking device!" Also, Maul's ship had one too.
Eh?
He posted:
DSG2k wrote:We've never observed cloaks in the Lucas canon before, so there's actually nothing to compare it to. The EU is a separate universe, so naturally its technology can be different. (If you wanna argue that, go start another thread.)
And I am disputing such a claim.
No, no. I'm asking about Maul's cloak.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

It's mentioned in the Databank and, IIRC, the TPM ICS
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

And it cloaked itself onscreen, too.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

It did? I don't remember that.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It did? :?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I don't recall that.
DSG2k
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DSG2k »

There is no proof I'm aware of in the films, novelizations, or scripts of the films regarding a cloaking device for Maul's little ship. That would also introduce a contradiction with the "no ship that small" line. Even in the case of "Cat and Mouse", Anakin notes that ships as small as the 135m prototype don't usually have one, and that's a lot bigger than Maul's wee vessel.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I distinctly remember the ship cloaking while approaching a planet... but I will admit my mind is not the sharpest tack in the drawer. As I don't have time tonight, tomorrow I'll watch through TPM and see if his ship does, in fact, cloak. If it doesn't, than I apologize... and request a mental reboot.
DSG2k
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DSG2k »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I distinctly remember the ship cloaking while approaching a planet... but I will admit my mind is not the sharpest tack in the drawer. As I don't have time tonight, tomorrow I'll watch through TPM and see if his ship does, in fact, cloak. If it doesn't, than I apologize... and request a mental reboot.
Request granted, 'cause you won't find it. Sorry.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

DSG2k wrote:There is no proof I'm aware of in the films, novelizations, or scripts of the films regarding a cloaking device for Maul's little ship.
There is, however, proof that the ship had a cloak from the Databank article I posted.
That would also introduce a contradiction with the "no ship that small" line.
Which shows that Needa was evidently unaware of the device on Maul's ship.
Even in the case of "Cat and Mouse", Anakin notes that ships as small as the 135m prototype don't usually have one, and that's a lot bigger than Maul's wee vessel.
And thus the problem is solved - they're rare, and most cloaks are of the type seen in the Thrawn Trilogy and the Hand of Thrawn duology, which exhibit numerous differences to the one shown in this episode. So rare, in fact, that Needa wasn't even aware of the existence of such devices.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

DSG2k wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I distinctly remember the ship cloaking while approaching a planet... but I will admit my mind is not the sharpest tack in the drawer. As I don't have time tonight, tomorrow I'll watch through TPM and see if his ship does, in fact, cloak. If it doesn't, than I apologize... and request a mental reboot.
Request granted, 'cause you won't find it. Sorry.
No need to be a jerk about it.

Besides, if you look it up, she does indeed have a cloak and does decloak in TPM.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

FFS, you'd think it would be easy to find a clip on Youtube, but it's all fan shite.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:FFS, you'd think it would be easy to find a clip on Youtube, but it's all fan shite.
I hate that.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

stitch626 wrote:Besides, if you look it up, she does indeed have a cloak and does decloak in TPM.
Not from what I can see, at least in the scene of the ship approaching and landing on Tatooine. 7:25 onwards

Evidently Maul didn't feel the need to use it then, although he probably did to get of Coruscant.