AT-AT Height Discussion

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

AT-AT Height Discussion

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:SW-Databank declares the AT-AT at 15m tall. I take my numbers from there because I suck at math and everything not Canon Tree I don't trust. Though thats mostly because again I suck at math and couldn't figure a lot of it out on my own if I tried.
The Databank is wrong - the link I mentioned before has an image of Luke hanging underneath an AT-AT, and unless he's four feet tall from feet to outstretched hand that walker is a damn sight more than 15 metres tall.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Empire vs modern army

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Uh, do you perhaps mean four metres tall?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:SW-Databank declares the AT-AT at 15m tall. I take my numbers from there because I suck at math and everything not Canon Tree I don't trust. Though thats mostly because again I suck at math and couldn't figure a lot of it out on my own if I tried.
The Databank is wrong - the link I mentioned before has an image of Luke hanging underneath an AT-AT, and unless he's four feet tall from feet to outstretched hand that walker is a damn sight more than 15 metres tall.
Databank is a direct point source to canon. It cannot be wrong, it can however be a recon. Your link is an opinion piece, Databank is LTM.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Sionnach Glic wrote:Uh, do you perhaps mean four metres tall?
No, I mean four feet - that's how tall he'd be, at full stretch if the walker was fifteen metres tall. Needless to say, he's much taller than that, so the walker must also be much taller than fifteen metres.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Databank is a direct point source to canon. It cannot be wrong
Yes it can, if it's directly contradicted by one of the films, in this case ESB
Your link is an opinion piece, Databank is LTM.
My link is measuring directly from an ESB screencap.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:Yes it can, if it's directly contradicted by one of the films, in this case ESB
Hence, the recon ability of the owner. His word over rules everything. From film to someone's online opinion. As the databank speaks with his authority, then it is so. Doesn't have to make sense, it just is.
My link is measuring directly from an ESB screencap.
Again, doesn't matter. Its a point being brought by someone with no say as to what is or isn't canon.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Hence, the recon ability of the owner. His word over rules everything. From film to someone's online opinion. As the databank speaks with his authority, then it is so. Doesn't have to make sense, it just is.
It isn't a "retcon", it's fucking wrong. The films are the highest level of canon. If something contradicts the film then it's as canon as me saying the Death Star is made of green cheese. We've been over this a hundred fucking times and every single time you pretend the Databank trumps all.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:It isn't a "retcon", it's f***ing wrong. The films are the highest level of canon. If something contradicts the film then it's as canon as me saying the Death Star is made of green cheese. We've been over this a hundred f***ing times and every single time you pretend the Databank trumps all.
And every time it happens I love hearing you cry... How your opinion is better then the creator himself. However, that aside. Databank (being its the databank for the canon tree which is attached to GL himself) is the direct canon statement for fans to look to.

Seeing how you've commonly lied, twisted or just bs'd your way when things don't work the way you want. You should have figured by now that your opinion, much like your existence, have no real value to me. Which is a shame as it comes to even less value when its you vs the creator of the universe in which we're speaking of.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:And every time it happens I love hearing you cry... How your opinion is better then the creator himself. However, that aside. Databank (being its the databank for the canon tree which is attached to GL himself) is the direct canon statement for fans to look to.
Let's see, you have an internet site, which he probably never looks at, and you have the films, which he pumped his own money into to keep them going. Which do you think Lucas cares most about? :roll:

Moreover, we have direct statements from the bloke at LFL in charge of canon:
Leland Chee wrote:In a nut shell, I recall it going something like this:
A: The size is X
B: These sources say X, these other source say Y.
(group discusses)
A: We've agreed that Y seems to reflect more closely what we see in the film, so Y.
C: It's neither X, nor Y, it's actually Z. What's to be done?
A: Nothing, until someone writes about it.
(C finally gets in a position to write about it and submits draft)
A (to group): C is suggesting we use size Z.
(group discusses)
A: We've agreed that new size Z is more accurate to the film, so that's what we're going with.
The specific case in question was the length of the Ex, but the principle is the same - the number that is most accurate to the film is the one used. In this case, the film clearly shows an AT-AT well over 15 m tall, and closer to 30 m.

We also have evidence from the film. Veers opened fire on the shield generator at 17.28 km. The distance to the horizon from the top of a 15 m AT-AT is less than 14 km, and even less from the height of the guns. A vehicle twice the height can much more reasonably achieve that range through line of sight (although it may still be necessary to invoke the "north ridge" to lift it up a bit, despite the lack of a visible rise in the film - a rise of a few metres is much more likely to be unnoticeable beside a 30m AT-AT than a rise of over 10 metres beside a 15 m AT-AT).
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: AT-AT Height Discussion

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Tangent Split.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:Let's see, you have an internet site, which he probably never looks at, and you have the films, which he pumped his own money into to keep them going. Which do you think Lucas cares most about?
Thats a good limey, dodge the point... :laughroll:

Again, you don't like it... tooooooo baddddddd....
The specific case in question was the length of the Ex, but the principle is the same - the number that is most accurate to the film is the one used. In this case, the film clearly shows an AT-AT well over 15 m tall, and closer to 30 m.
Then go get a job working for GL and make the change. Tell them its wrong and tell them why and then fix it all up. Until then, what is stated is what it is.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: 1

Deepcrush wrote:Thats a good limey, dodge the point...
Dodging? I've been trying to get this point home to you for months, if not years. You continue to stick your fingers in your ears and ignore it.
Until then, what is stated is what it is.
Wrong stupid - what's in the fucking film is what it is.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:Dodging? I've been trying to get this point home to you for months, if not years. You continue to stick your fingers in your ears and ignore it.
Yeah, I know... your opinion is always superior to canon... blah blah blah... I still don't care. Unless there is a statement from the film saying the AT-AT is X height, then the LTM statement stands as is.
Wrong stupid - what's in the f***ing film is what it is.
So then quote for me out of the film where Vader or someone else says the AT-AT is 30m tall. If you can't do that, then its still just your opinion. SFX errors happen from time to time, just as Defiant and Negh'var grew and shrank, similar errors can happen in SW. The whole point of the canon tree is to clear these problems up. This may not make sense, and I'm not saying it does, however... that all aside. There is a direct statement as to the height of said vehicle. I know you don't like it, but I don't care. In fact, no one cares, sad as that may be for you.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Unless there is a statement from the film saying the AT-AT is X height, then the LTM statement stands as is.
Why does it make the slightest difference if there's a statement of how tall they are? You can see how tall they are from this image:

As I said, unless Luke Skywalker is four feet from feet to outstretched hand, that walker is far taller than 15m.
So then quote for me out of the film where Vader or someone else says the AT-AT is 30m tall.
Not necessary - we have visuals.
If you can't do that, then its still just your opinion. SFX errors happen from time to time, just as Defiant and Negh'var grew and shrank, similar errors can happen in SW.
Then show me an image where an AT-AT is anything other than 30-ish metres. If this was an outlier, and there were a host of images showing it to be far smaller, then you'd have a point. There aren't, so you don't.
The whole point of the canon tree is to clear these problems up.
Exactly. Databank says one thing. Film shows something different. The film overrides everything, so the Databank is wrong.
There is a direct statement as to the height of said vehicle.
A statement contradicted by the film.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Since you've started your normal circle jerk run for whenever you get cornered we can end it at this...

You're not getting this but I never said that the 30m point didn't make sense or that it would be wrong if someone with a ruler, a step stoll and the ability read confirmed it. However, in the end against the scaling issues one way or another. We've been given a statement which says "A is A". As you put up, that quote from whoever, "A is A until they have B which is better" but no one has given them said "B" so we are still stuck with "A". When I counted the heights on the AT-AT I got the legs at ~14m. Since the the rest of the thing isn't much shorter then the legs... I'm fully content agreeing that it SHOULD be 28m+. However, its not up to me, just like its not up to you.

Databank IS canon, you don't have to like, I don't have to like, God doesn't have to like it, but it still IS canon. GL says so and thats all there is to it.