What Was The Point Of TPM?

Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: What Was The Point Of TPM?

Post by Nutso »

I always wanted to see how Anakin was already a great pilot when Obi-Wan first met him.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Tantooine always seemed like a rather obvious hiding place for Luke after watching Star Wars III.

And why didn't Ben raise Luke himself? He could have gone to Dagoban with Yoda and raised Luke as a Jedi from birth.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Precisely, when you've got a few million inhabited planets in the galaxy why go to one where Vader has a deeply personal connection?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:Precisely, when you've got a few million inhabited planets in the galaxy why go to one where Vader has a deeply personal connection?
Because that was the one place in the universe Vader would stay away from - the planet where he was enslaved, and where his mother died. There were too many painful memories for him to return to.
kostmayer wrote:And why didn't Ben raise Luke himself? He could have gone to Dagoban with Yoda and raised Luke as a Jedi from birth.
Don't know, although there are two possibilities. The first is that they weren't planning to train Luke at all, merely to get him somewhere safe. The alternative is that they wanted him to grow up, and to have something resembling a normal life, in order to give him the emotional stability Anakin didn't.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Tyyr wrote:Precisely, when you've got a few million inhabited planets in the galaxy why go to one where Vader has a deeply personal connection?
Because that was the one place in the universe Vader would stay away from - the planet where he was enslaved, and where his mother died. There were too many painful memories for him to return to.
I really don't buy into that. Not that it couldn't be Obi's reasoning, just that it would work. People love to pick scabs. Even if all Vader did was decide to test the Death Star on it. Assuming he'd stay away forever, eh. I'd really just go with some back water in the middle of nowhere that no one has ever heard of, and that Vader didn't grow up on.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:I really don't buy into that. Not that it couldn't be Obi's reasoning, just that it would work.
It wasn't Obi's reasoning - it was Qui-Gon's, and by that stage Qui-Gon had a view of time reminiscent of the Prophets.
I'd really just go with some back water in the middle of nowhere that no one has ever heard of, and that Vader didn't grow up on.
You got three out of four :wink:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tyyr wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:
I really don't buy into that. Not that it couldn't be Obi's reasoning, just that it would work. People love to pick scabs. Even if all Vader did was decide to test the Death Star on it. Assuming he'd stay away forever, eh. I'd really just go with some back water in the middle of nowhere that no one has ever heard of, and that Vader didn't grow up on.
I never bought it either.

The only thing I can think of is that Hutts who control Tatooine also limits the Empire. That and Luke wasn't as instinctive as Anakin was so Vader really didn't feel Luke's presence from orbit, like he would later on.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Plus Tatooine was a distant planet, with a reletively puny Imperial presence. What would bring the Emporer's right hand man out to the boonies anyway?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mark wrote:Plus Tatooine was a distant planet, with a reletively puny Imperial presence. What would bring the Emporer's right hand man out to the boonies anyway?
oh, some plans for a superweapon, maybe? ;)

I don't buy the 'reasoning' either. It's sheer will of the Force/Lucas' fiat Luke wasn't found.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Power of Plot/Character Shield

Me personally I would rather have the Lars family be the ones who volunteered to take Luke to Tatooine (which we never see in the prequels except in the end) with Obi-Wan following behind.

AS far as why Obi-Wan never trained Luke from the very beginning, my theory is that some off screen discussion between him and Yoda about how the Jedi training on Anakin failed or the Jedi collapsed.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

How much of the blame can be laid at Kenobis feet for his failing in training Anakin. There were other factors of course, but Annakin siding with the Emperor as he was about to be destroyed is a pivotal moment when the formation of the Empire could have been prevented.

I would have liked to have seen more of Kenobi feeling responsible at the end of TPM, and turning his back on being a Jedi to go into solitude, rather then just hiding from the Emperor.

And what about Kenobi telling Luke that his father wanted him to have his lightsabre, but that Lars wouldn't allow it? Did Kenobi just make that up to add some detail to Anakins fabricated past?

And what would have happened had the Emperor been killed / arrested? Was anybody else aware of the Clones inbuilt command to destroy all the Jedi? How would the Senate have reacted to the news that the Emperor was a Sith and had orchestrated the war to gain power?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Monroe wrote:Hell who elects a Queen anyway?
Elected monarchies aren't that unusual - that was the case in the Holy Roman Empire, and it remains the case in the Vatican.
I think Padme was elected by a general vote not by nobles though.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

On the subject of Luke being raised where Anakin was raised- one of the books talked about a conspiracy theory that the Emperor knew of Luke the whole time and kept Luke on Tatoonie as a backup if Vader failed. I liked that theory until Ep 3 came out :-/ but its still an okay one.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Monroe wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:
Monroe wrote:Hell who elects a Queen anyway?
Elected monarchies aren't that unusual - that was the case in the Holy Roman Empire, and it remains the case in the Vatican.
I think Padme was elected by a general vote not by nobles though.
Wasn't she 14 when she was elected?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Yep. The whole thing made perfect sense :roll:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.