Proton Torpedoes or Concussive Missiles-which are better?

SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Proton Torpedoes or Concussive Missiles-which are better?

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Which is the better rocket propelled armament? Which usually has higher yields, longer ranges, etc? And which is more versatile?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Proton Torpedoes or Concussive Missiles-which are better?

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The two are used pretty interchangeably in the EU. I don't think there are any hard stats on Concussion Missiles, though we do know the yield of the proton torpedoes Slave 1 uses. Numerous sources have both weapons being used as either anti-fighter weapons and anti-capship weapons.

Quite simply, we don't know.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The general stance is that - Proton warheads are more powerful but slower. Better used against capital ships and based targets. Where Concussion warheads are less powerful but faster. Better used against fighters and light targets or other warheads.

As Sionnach Glic (thats to much to write. I'm going back to calling you rochey) said we really don't know everything between them.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

Deepcrush wrote:The general stance is that - Proton warheads are more powerful but slower. Better used against capital ships and based targets. Where Concussion warheads are less powerful but faster. Better used against fighters and light targets or other warheads.

As Sionnach Glic (thats to much to write. I'm going back to calling you rochey) said we really don't know everything between them.
That is my memory from the expanded universe as well. Does anyone recall if CM's were ever mentioned at all in any of the movies? I am pretty sure they don't come up in the original three at all but that Proton torpedoes are mentioned on several occasions. Then they seem to have all manner of warheads in Episodes 1-3.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

CMs' might've been used in the assault on the Death Star II. Not 100% sure.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yup, the Falcon fired them at the reactor in ROTJ.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:The general stance is that - Proton warheads are more powerful but slower. Better used against capital ships and based targets. Where Concussion warheads are less powerful but faster. Better used against fighters and light targets or other warheads.
I don't know where you heard that, but they got it wrong - the Falcon's CMs destroyed DSII's main reactor, while PT's wouldn't even have dented it.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That seems to be based on the X-Wing game series.

Given the 90o snap-turns that proton torpedoes can make, I'd hesitate to call them slow.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Pretty much every video game and I believe the visual dictionaries agrees with Deep. In the same vein I have to ask what makes you think CM's trump PT's in terms of raw destructive output.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Sionnach Glic wrote:Given the 90o snap-turns that proton torpedoes can make, I'd hesitate to call them slow.
True - that turn was something like 70,000G+ IIRC.
Tyyr wrote:Pretty much every video game and I believe the visual dictionaries agrees with Deep. In the same vein I have to ask what makes you think CM's trump PT's in terms of raw destructive output.
Return of the Jedi - Wedge stated that his PTs wouldn't dent the reactor, the Falcon's missiles breached it.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:
I don't know where you heard that, but they got it wrong - the Falcon's CMs destroyed DSII's main reactor, while PT's wouldn't even have dented it.
Care to show why that is?
Return of the Jedi - Wedge stated that his PTs wouldn't dent the reactor, the Falcon's missiles breached it.
When?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Slight correction - I've just checked the film and the lines weren't spoken. They are, however, in the novelisation, which is also G-canon:
RotJ, page 178 wrote:"It's too big, Gold Leader," yelled Wedge. "My proton torpedoes won't even dent that."

"Go for the power regulator on the north tower." Lando directed. "I'll take the main reactor. We're carrying concussion missiles- they should penetrate."
This is backed up by simple logic - if PTs were the more powerful weapon, why would Wedge be directed to hit the secondary target while the Falcon struck the fatal blow? That bit was in the film: start at 7:05.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:Slight correction - I've just checked the film and the lines weren't spoken. They are, however, in the novelisation, which is also G-canon:
So one novel vs dozens of novels, games and movies to which the novelization goes straight against? Yeah, sorry but I think I'm going to stick with the established theory around them.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Perhaps the reason the missiles were used instead of torps is becasue they have different effects. The torps may have more raw destructive power, but they may also not be able to physically penetrate the reactor. Whereas the sharp point of the missiles could.

Just a guess mind you.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:So one novel vs dozens of novels, games and movies to which the novelization goes straight against? Yeah, sorry but I think I'm going to stick with the established theory around them.
The established theory is that CMs are stronger - the RotJ novel came out long before any of the EU stuff, and is G-canon to boot. It overrules everything but the film itself.