Phantom Menace Review

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Phantom Menace Review

Post by Reliant121 »

The midichlorians always annoyed me most. "Oh look lets treknobabble starwars".
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

It wasn't even needed. It was a throw away line. You could have stripped that thing out entirely and nothing would have been missing from the film, zilch.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Sionnach Glic wrote: Of course, what I really want to know is what the f**k was up with midichlorians. Why did he bring them up? Why not just keep the Force as some mystical and unknown energy that a few people could manipulate? None of the OT films mentioned them, or even gave any indication where Force abilities come from, so the midichlorians just come completely out of nowhere in TPM. And later films don't even mention them, let alone explain them further. So why bring them up? Why f**k up one of the best bits of the Star Wars universe? Gah.
There's a reason the later films never mentioned them again...the outcry against the midichlorians by the fan base was pretty hardcore. Enough that even George went "oh shit". No one, NO ONE wanted the Force explained in any sort of scientific detail, and certainly not in such a lame ass DBZ "Power level 9000!" way.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That just makes me wonder what Lucas orignally had in mind for those midicholrians. :?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

Sionnach Glic wrote:That just makes me wonder what Lucas orignally had in mind for those midicholrians. :?
The first thing I thought when I saw them is that if the force is these living things then what would stop someone from making a virus that killed those cells/bacteria in people? Or beyond that what would stop you from growing them in a dish in a lab an injecting them into anyone?

Lots of stuff from George makes no sense. I am still trying to figure out why the big lasers in the last movie had shells being ejected after firing.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

They could be capacitors, or storage for the physical element of a turbolaser bolt. They can't be purely lasers obviously.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

Tyyr wrote:They could be capacitors, or storage for the physical element of a turbolaser bolt. They can't be purely lasers obviously.
Yeah, that is what I figured is it is like a bucket of plasma or something. Still, its seems like a really inefficient way to do things. Plus you don't see it in any of the other films where, despite the fact that for some reason they were aiming the things with a guy in a seat next to the gun like it was World War II, the weapons seem to be powered by a collection of cables and tubes which makes a lot more sense.

I just get the feeling that they wanted to have more stuff flying around on screen so they decided to put that in.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Reliant121 wrote:The midichlorians always annoyed me most. "Oh look lets treknobabble starwars".
Maybe he was going to make midichlorian toys. Collect the millions of individual midichlorians. Gotta collect 'em all!

My favorite thing about the midichlorians is that fanboys used midichlorian count as a way to measure the power of a Jedi. Kind of like Dragonball Z had its power levels. It's like the greatness of a Jedi is based on the number of microscopic bacteria in his blood and not on the things the Jedi has done using the Force.

One of the weirdest things about the Phantom Menace for me is that Anakin has no biological father. He was just born. What the hell is that?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Jedi Jesus. Duh. :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Sionnach Glic wrote:Jedi Jesus. Duh. :P
:laughroll:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Deepcrush wrote:

Well, he was going to bring balance to the force...
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Yeah, because having a father who "may have been killed in a Tusken raid" would have interfered to much with that... :roll:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Nickswitz wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:

Well, he was going to bring balance to the force...
Well, in Ep III Palpatine mentions that Darth Plagues the Wise could even influence the midichlorians to create life ... perhaps that's where Anakin came from? Created by a Sith Lord to fulfill prophecy?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I hope the Force at least bought Shmi dinner and maybe worked some child support mojo. It probably just lived up to its name though.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Well, in Ep III Palpatine mentions that Darth Plagues the Wise could even influence the midichlorians to create life ... perhaps that's where Anakin came from? Created by a Sith Lord to fulfill prophecy?
Fuck no.