T.I.E bomber dogfighting

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: T.I.E bomber dogfighting

Post by Monroe »

There are also Star Dreadnoughts though I'm not sure if those are the right kind of canon. I've never seen mention in books only saw a few images of late 70s-early 80 comics. They're like Rad Troopers while it makes sense for the Empire to have them they don't get mentioned hardly ever outside of a select few sources.

To answer your question Lady Luck is a luxury ship that Lando owns. You get to fight around it in Jedi Knight Academy and you could own your own in Star Wars Galaxies. Mine was a mobile interrogation center :D

Gun boats are very useful and in X-Wing Alliance I actually rather enjoyed flying one. Assault Gun Boats are the normal and if X-Wing Gold and X-Wing Alliance is any indication they fly around from system bases on duties like anti-piracy and law enforcements. Missile Gun Boats have, if I remember, 80 torps on them. So one can literally take down a capital ship by itself. They're very useful but for some reason not all that common.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Monroe wrote:There are also Star Dreadnoughts though I'm not sure if those are the right kind of canon.
Dreadnoughts are Battleships built around the idea of only fighting other capital ships.
Monroe wrote:Missile Gun Boats have, if I remember, 80 torps on them. So one can literally take down a capital ship by itself. They're very useful but for some reason not all that common.
While useful in games. The effect of the Gun Boats is rather limited in the Canon Universe. They can engage any fighter or bomber or transport. But they tend to fall pretty quickly to most capital ships as they are to slow to dodge the defensive fire.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Deepcrush wrote: Dreadnoughts are Battleships built around the idea of only fighting other capital ships.
I know what they are iRL, I was meaning in Star Wars :p That said after looking it up on wikipedia I called it the wrong thing. I can't find what I was looking for but it was basically a normal looking Star Destroyer but much larger and its engines looked different. That might be classified under Super Star Destroyer since I can't find it elsewhere.

While useful in games. The effect of the Gun Boats is rather limited in the Canon Universe. They can engage any fighter or bomber or transport. But they tend to fall pretty quickly to most capital ships as they are to slow to dodge the defensive fire.
Makes sense and would explain why they aren't more common place.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Monroe wrote:I know what they are iRL, I was meaning in Star Wars :p That said after looking it up on wikipedia I called it the wrong thing. I can't find what I was looking for but it was basically a normal looking Star Destroyer but much larger and its engines looked different. That might be classified under Super Star Destroyer since I can't find it elsewhere.
For the most part it works the same in SW. Though we do have the Dreadnought Cruiser which by current standards is only Frigate to Destroyer size... :bangwall:

Its a very annoying little ship.
Deepcrush wrote:Makes sense and would explain why they aren't more common place.
Pretty much, however they are VERY useful in supporting ground forces and in long range raids against poorly defended systems. Their large warhead payload means they can engage targets at extreme range. Or even engage fleeing targets that are faster then themselves. Making them fairly good/cheap police craft.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Deepcrush wrote:Though we do have the Dreadnought Cruiser which by current standards is only Frigate to Destroyer size... :bangwall:

Thus leading to amusing debates. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Though we do have the Dreadnought Cruiser which by current standards is only Frigate to Destroyer size... :bangwall:

Thus leading to amusing debates. :lol:
It wouldn't have been so bad if they weren't such pieces of shit. BUT! They were horrible ships, though somehow KT had 180 turn the tide of a Galactic War... :roll:

Thats right, the equal to 30 MonCal Cruisers... only twice the strength of the Rebel Fleet at Endor... Change the course of a Galactic War... that involved THOUSANDS of ships... :bangwall:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I remember them being pretty crappy in Star Wars Rebellion.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

They have been crappy in every game with them. They were JOAT ships, specializing in nothing, and they were older than Palpy's blisters.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Didn't help that they were over priced in both construction and running. Both in crew and money. Horrible breakdown habits. While only being a match for a pair of Hammerheads. Which, cost a quarter as much and needed no where near the crew counts. The OR should have stuck with the Hammerheads rather then building these crap piles.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:It wouldn't have been so bad if they weren't such pieces of s**t. BUT! They were horrible ships, though somehow KT had 180 turn the tide of a Galactic War... :roll:

Thats right, the equal to 30 MonCal Cruisers... only twice the strength of the Rebel Fleet at Endor... Change the course of a Galactic War... that involved THOUSANDS of ships... :bangwall:
That wasn't KT - it was Zahn. At least he never mentioned the size of the fleets involved, so you could argue that while the total forces engaged were in the millions, they were spread thinly enough and were finely balanced enough that the concentration of a few hundred extra ships, even Dreadnoughts, on a single front was enough to tip the balance.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:That wasn't KT - it was Zahn. At least he never mentioned the size of the fleets involved, so you could argue that while the total forces engaged were in the millions, they were spread thinly enough and were finely balanced enough that the concentration of a few hundred extra ships, even Dreadnoughts, on a single front was enough to tip the balance.
Fair points all. Though, the redeployment of a wing of MC90s would have had the same effect.

I just find it such a lame plot point though. It just annoys me.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Zahn suggests that the NR at that point was on the very brink of failure. It was stretched to breaking point. They couldn't deploy and MC90's because many of them were being used as freighters. They couldn't move ships without risking losing the area they had just been moved from.

Though I agree that it's pretty damn stupid. In a galaxy spanning nation, 200 vessels is like pissing in the Atlantic.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

It depends on what sort of vessels they are. 200 Dreadnaught-class heavy cruisers, sure. If they'd been proper dreadnoughts, Mandators for example, it would have been another matter.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Zahn suggests that the NR at that point was on the very brink of failure. It was stretched to breaking point.... They couldn't move ships without risking losing the area they had just been moved from.
I could understand this. But still, its just so much of a reach. Truth is that sometimes you have to lose ground to gain ground. Give up a few sectors and mass your elite ships for a strike at your enemy. Then, with his fleet out of the way you're clear to retake your losses.
They couldn't deploy and MC90's because many of them were being used as freighters.
Really... I must be out of touch! I've never heard of anyone using that class as a freighter. That is just beyond stupid. ITS A FRAKING WARSHIP!
Captain Seafort wrote:It depends on what sort of vessels they are. 200 Dreadnaught-class heavy cruisers, sure. If they'd been proper dreadnoughts, Mandators for example, it would have been another matter.
True, if someone brought two hundred Mandators to a battle. Its going to get nasty. But these ships weren't such. They were 600m ships with about the same firepower as a VSD. One MC90 would eat up several of them before, well, just leaving for a break I guess.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Deepcrush wrote:I could understand this. But still, its just so much of a reach. Truth is that sometimes you have to lose ground to gain ground. Give up a few sectors and mass your elite ships for a strike at your enemy. Then, with his fleet out of the way you're clear to retake your losses.
I'm inclined to agree.
Deepcrush wrote:Really... I must be out of touch! I've never heard of anyone using that class as a freighter. That is just beyond stupid. ITS A FRAKING WARSHIP!
It's in Heir To The Empire, though I slightly misremembers. It mentions that the NR was pressed for freighters, so it converted a large number of "Mon Calamari Star Cruisers" and various other warships into cargo vessels by just manning them with skeleton crews. No classes were actually mentioned, and "Star Cruiser" reffers to pretty much any Mon Cal warships.

Still, we're left with warships being used as freighters. Regardless of class, that's an incredible waste.

Personally I like to think that many of the large shipping corporations refused to work with the NR out of fear of Imperial reprisals against their facilities. This would have left the NR relying on minor companies and freelance vessels, which would have stretched their supply lines to breaking point. This at least explains why they wasted waships in such a role, if they were needed that badly. After all, you can have the greatest army in the world, but without proper logistics it will whither and die.
Captain Seafort wrote:It depends on what sort of vessels they are. 200 Dreadnaught-class heavy cruisers, sure. If they'd been proper dreadnoughts, Mandators for example, it would have been another matter.
Oh, I agree. Unfortunately they were specified as being Dreadnaught class. So we're still stuck with that.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"