Mon Calamari tech

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Mon Calamari tech

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It would also allow the Mon Cal' vessel to fire directly into the hanger bay, which would undoubtedly be bad news for the ISD.
Of course, the ISD could just invert itself.

WRT the ISDs, I follow the line of thinking that Seafort (IIRC) brought up regarding its role. A Star Destroyer is more like a dedicated anti-insurgency vessel than a true warship, which is probably why converted cruise liners and Clone Wars era vessels pose a threat to it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Sionnach Glic wrote:It would also allow the Mon Cal' vessel to fire directly into the hanger bay, which would undoubtedly be bad news for the ISD. Of course, the ISD could just invert itself.
I think I said as much. Though as to the ISD inverting. Maybe it will, or maybe the MC will just keep pace and rape her. By that point the ISD won't be in anywhere near as good of shape as she'd like to be.
Sionnach Glic wrote:WRT the ISDs, I follow the line of thinking that Seafort (IIRC) brought up regarding its role. A Star Destroyer is more like a dedicated anti-insurgency vessel than a true warship, which is probably why converted cruise liners and Clone Wars era vessels pose a threat to it.
It faces the same problem that all JoAT ships suffer from. Any ship of equal size or even lesser size, that is dedicated will surpass it.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Deepcrush wrote:I think I said as much. Though as to the ISD inverting. Maybe it will, or maybe the MC will just keep pace and rape her. By that point the ISD won't be in anywhere near as good of shape as she'd like to be.
I have my doubts that an MC could reposition itself in space quicker than an ISD could roll. It would have to have some pretty damn good accelleration and maneouverability to manage such a feat, and ISDs are no slugs by their own right.
Deepcrush wrote:It faces the same problem that all JoAT ships suffer from. Any ship of equal size or even lesser size, that is dedicated will surpass it.
Agreed. The MC ships, while converted from passenger liners, were at least converted with one purpose in mind. The ISD, by virtue of being an anti-insurgency platform, simply doesn't match up. Hell, I'd actually be able to believe that a Venator could take on an ISD with favourable chances.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sionnach Glic wrote:Hell, I'd actually be able to believe that a Venator could take on an ISD with favourable chances.
I doubt it - the ISD is still a tough, powerful ship, and it's built for ship-to-ship combat, despite the scale of the hangars and troop quarters. The VenStar is a carrier with some heavy guns thrown on almost as an afterthought.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Sionnach Glic wrote:Hell, I'd actually be able to believe that a Venator could take on an ISD with favourable chances.
I doubt it - the ISD is still a tough, powerful ship, and it's built for ship-to-ship combat, despite the scale of the hangars and troop quarters. The VenStar is a carrier with some heavy guns thrown on almost as an afterthought.
I disagree that the guns were an after thought. Though I do agree that a Venator would lose against an ISD. Base being that both have 8 heavy turrets. But while the Venator has IIRC around 24 secondary weapons. The ISD has over fifty.
Sionnach Glic wrote:I have my doubts that an MC could reposition itself in space quicker than an ISD could roll. It would have to have some pretty damn good accelleration and maneouverability to manage such a feat, and ISDs are no slugs by their own right.
That was why I added the maybe in there. Get up close and swirl the ISD. While you might not stay in position forever. You could be there long enough to inflict enough damage to give the MC the edge. This being the MC80 I'm talking about of course.
Sionnach Glic wrote:Agreed. The MC ships, while converted from passenger liners, were at least converted with one purpose in mind. The ISD, by virtue of being an anti-insurgency platform, simply doesn't match up. Hell, I'd actually be able to believe that a Venator could take on an ISD with favourable chances.
The MC90 wasn't a coverted liner. That's the MC80s you're thinking of. The MC90s were purpose built anti-cap warships.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:I disagree that the guns were an after thought.
Maybe not an afterthought, but the VenStar was clearly a carrier first and a gunship second, while the ISD is a carrier and gunship equally.
Though I do agree that a Venator would lose against an ISD. Base being that both have 8 heavy turrets. But while the Venator has IIRC around 24 secondary weapons. The ISD has over fifty.
The VenStar had over fifty PD guns, but the ISD, assuming the WEG stats are taken to refer to PD, had 120. Either way, the PD guns would be irrelevant - MT- and GT-range weapons are too small to affect capship shields. They key is power generation, which we should be able to get a loose estimate of by going by reactor volume, and the VenStar's reactor is roughly an eighth the volume of an ISD's.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:Maybe not an afterthought, but the VenStar was clearly a carrier first and a gunship second, while the ISD is a carrier and gunship equally.
Agreed.
The VenStar had over fifty PD guns, but the ISD, assuming the WEG stats are taken to refer to PD, had 120. Either way, the PD guns would be irrelevant - MT- and GT-range weapons are too small to affect capship shields. They key is power generation, which we should be able to get a loose estimate of by going by reactor volume, and the VenStar's reactor is roughly an eighth the volume of an ISD's.
Sorry, I was speaking on their secondary turbolasers, not PD weapons. I should have pointed that out. Though, we seem to agree the outcome would not favor a Ven.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, fair point there.
Deepcrush wrote:That was why I added the maybe in there. Get up close and swirl the ISD. While you might not stay in position forever. You could be there long enough to inflict enough damage to give the MC the edge. This being the MC80 I'm talking about of course.
It would only take one or two shots penetrating the shields and hitting the interior of the hanger to cause some serious damage.
Deepcrush wrote:The MC90 wasn't a coverted liner. That's the MC80s you're thinking of. The MC90s were purpose built anti-cap warships.
Ah, right. My mistake. I never really took any interest in the Mon Cal vessels myself.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Sionnach Glic wrote:It would only take one or two shots penetrating the shields and hitting the interior of the hanger to cause some serious damage.
Pretty much. If that shot lands anywhere near the main power plant. You're talking massive internal damage. Which in response would weaken both the shields and weapons of the ISD. So when round two came. MC still at full, ISD crippled, game set match. As long as the ISD doesn't get the MC in her forward sights first... :happydevil:
Sionnach Glic wrote:Ah, right. My mistake. I never really took any interest in the Mon Cal vessels myself.
MonCal ships are amazing things. They put an incredible amount of effort into everything they do with them. As such they were always my favorite ships of the SW fleets.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:If that shot lands anywhere near the main power plant. You're talking massive internal damage.
If a shot from a heavy capship gun hits an unshielded vessel, especially if it goes through the hangar, you're not talking about "massive internal damage", you're talking about no more ship.

Look at 6:17 - the ISD in the centre of the shot.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I was thinking more along the line of 0:56 here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cU0BYXlTuI

(Mind me, I'm no good at changing things into a pretty url type thing on here. :oops: )
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Pfft. That's not a heavy gun - that's jury-rigged field artillery crippling a light destroyer. If the VenStar had been in a position to use it's big topside guns that thing would have been plasma.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:Pfft. That's not a heavy gun - that's jury-rigged field artillery crippling a light destroyer. If the VenStar had been in a position to use it's big topside guns that thing would have been plasma.
As far as I've seen those guns ARE one of those heavy guns. Just attached to a field artillery piece. Also, that destroyer was more then crippled, she was cut in half.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Like I said - crippled. In a space action a ship cut in half can still shoot and can still be a nuisance - look at how well (relatively speaking) the IH handled even after she lost the aft end. A ship reduced to plasma like that ISD isn't going to cause anyone any trouble.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:Like I said - crippled. In a space action a ship cut in half can still shoot and can still be a nuisance - look at how well (relatively speaking) the IH handled even after she lost the aft end. A ship reduced to plasma like that ISD isn't going to cause anyone any trouble.
Fair enough, point taken.