Could it be true?

stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Could it be true?

Post by stitch626 »

A few poeple at school were arguing today about Star Wars, and one of them mention the Holiday Special as canon.

Is it? :worried:
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Could it be true?

Post by Captain Seafort »

Absolutely, and more than that - it's G-canon.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

That makes me want to cry...
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Oh dear god, :bangwall: :bangwall:
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Captain Seafort wrote:Absolutely, and more than that - it's G-canon.
Are you certain? I've heard that even Lucas himself thought it was absolutely awful, so wouldn't he remove it from the canon pool?

Of course, a lot of shit from that film was canonised in other ways, so I suppose it's mostly a moot point.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Unless something has happened recently, although Lucas makes no bones about it being a crock of shit, the official definition of G-canon of "all the films" hasn't changed AFAIK.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd always taken the "all the films" bit as just meaning Lucas's films, but you may very well be right.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I thought it was "Live Action Films".
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Sionnach Glic wrote:I'd always taken the "all the films" bit as just meaning Lucas's films
Exactly - that includes the holiday special, regardless of how everyone, Lucas included, might wish it were otherwise.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I may be wrong, but didn't Lucas have pretty much nothing to do with the Holiday Special? I was under the impression that it was done by someone else, with Lucas' permission.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

It's canon. Chewie's family has appeared in other works. It took place-sadly enough.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Sionnach Glic wrote:I may be wrong, but didn't Lucas have pretty much nothing to do with the Holiday Special? I was under the impression that it was done by someone else, with Lucas' permission.
Wookie has Lucas credited for the story (although he had it deleted from all copies), but it's unreferenced, so take that as you will.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, I'm perfectly happy pretending that the Holiday Special never even happened, so I'll just go on being happy in my self-imposed ignorance. :P
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sionnach Glic wrote:...I'm perfectly happy pretending that the Holiday Special never even happened...
It didn't.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Sionnach Glic wrote:...I'm perfectly happy pretending that the Holiday Special never even happened...
It didn't.
Agreed.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu