Clone Wars season 2 [spoilers]

Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Clone Wars season 2 [spoilers]

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mark wrote:Vader was to valuable to dispose of.
You know, I'm sure Count Dooku thought the same thing of himself...
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sonic Glitch wrote:You know, I'm sure Count Dooku thought the same thing of himself...
Dooku was also far closer to irreplaceable than Vader ever was - at the time Palpatine was in the middle of juggling both sides of a war, had to consider the possibility that he'd die, and thus needed an apprentice to keep the Sith going, and had very limited resources to achieve his aims.

By the time of ANH all that had changed. He was Emperor, and was secure in that position, he had the resources of the entire galaxy to draw upon, and he'd perfected his Force life transfer technique. Vader was merely a useful tool, not the vital part of his entire plan that Dooku was.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:You know, I'm sure Count Dooku thought the same thing of himself...
Dooku was also far closer to irreplaceable than Vader ever was - at the time Palpatine was in the middle of juggling both sides of a war, had to consider the possibility that he'd die, and thus needed an apprentice to keep the Sith going, and had very limited resources to achieve his aims.

By the time of ANH all that had changed. He was Emperor, and was secure in that position, he had the resources of the entire galaxy to draw upon, and he'd perfected his Force life transfer technique. Vader was merely a useful tool, not the vital part of his entire plan that Dooku was.
That's what I mean. Dooku probably thought to himself "I'm far too valuable to be killed off" but Palpatine had his Plan. He got rid of his apprentice if it fitted the Plan, so if he came up with a better plan there's no reason he would keep Vader around.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Your misunderstanding what I'm saying guys...........let me try it this way.

Tarkin sprouts off at Vader and Vader is already in a bad mood. Vader HAS anger issues (hell, he "killed" his own wife because he was irked), reaches out and stops Tarkin's heart.

What happens to Vader now?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:That guy in ANH had balls of steel. And good points, too. Holding Leia was dangerous. ;)

I seem to recall Vader had a soft spot for lower-ranked officers. And he liked the competent ones, too.
Well, the ones he offed had failed. The one he just choked until Tarkin intervened was merely being a prick. So yeah, I could by the explanation that he cut competent officers some slack. The guy was bringing up a good point so choking him at that point would just be Vader being a dick. The "sorcerer's ways" guy was being a shithead from the start so choking him was fine.
Mark wrote:Your misunderstanding what I'm saying guys...........let me try it this way.

Tarkin sprouts off at Vader and Vader is already in a bad mood. Vader HAS anger issues (hell, he "killed" his own wife because he was irked), reaches out and stops Tarkin's heart.

What happens to Vader now?
Well, Tarkin was getting up there and I don't think a force squeeze would leave much evidence. Probably not much but Anakin/Vader has never been one for subtly.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I doubt Vader just went around choking people for the hell of it. He only ever did it to those who failed him.

With regards to the "Sourceror's ways" guy, I got the impression that Vader was just doing it to prove a point. I have my doubts he'd actually kill a (presumably) competant officer just for some back-talk. Even Vader can only leave so big a trail of corpses before Palpatine decides he's too much trouble to have around.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well, it certainly looked like he was planning on finishing the job before Tarkin ordered him to stop. As usual, a hell of a point.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Aaaaaargh, giant spider type person. I hate spiders, especially ones that big. Still, ruddy great Space Battle and what looks like a good plot.

Really am loving this series. Wonder if they could do as good a job with Trek, set during the Dominion War.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Another great episode, Star Wars most bloody take on Seven Samurai. I counted at least 2 neck snaps.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."