Ship of the week: X-wing starfighter

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Ship of the week: X-wing starfighter

Post by Monroe »

Tyyr wrote:
Monroe wrote:Their ability to plug in is nice but I think its lame in that they're even needed. Shouldn't that stuff be covered by the ship's computer? Yeah all that stuff is nice and all but a ship should be able to do that by itself.
Ok, so if you didn't need an astromech you could save... what, a quarter cubic meter? Maybe a half, maybe? 30 or so kilos? The benefits of having a mobile astromech make the minor sacrifices needed for it seem trivial. I mean what's the actual problem with having an astromech?
Having to scramble the fighters and wait for a tiny wheeled droid that can't even speak in a language anyone can understand to wheel its way towards the hangerbay. If you're going to have them they should be intergrated.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The only time we've seen X-Wings scrambling on screen the astromechs didn't seem to hold up the proceedings. Hell even in the writing I don't recall the astromechs ever being a hold up.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Tyyr wrote:The only time we've seen X-Wings scrambling on screen the astromechs didn't seem to hold up the proceedings. Hell even in the writing I don't recall the astromechs ever being a hold up.
Yeah but how realistic is that really? Besides super R2D2 all the droids have moved at a walking pace. I guess maybe fighter squadrons on standby keep their droids at the ships but I know often those droids follow pilots everywhere they go and a pilot can out run a droid.

I guess from my point of view its an added possible lag time for life off. Why have an R2 if the computer can handle it? R2's plug-in feature is nice over the R7 but other ships work fine without R2s. I'd rather have my ship work without one.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

A, people seemed to understand R2 just fine.
B, nothing in the the films ever stated that you HAVE to have a astrodroid.
C, Droids not only helped in the fighter but outside the fighter as well.
D, R2 loaded and unloaded himself from Lukes fighter just as quickly as Luke got in and out.

Again, nothing negative there that I see.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Monroe wrote:...If you're going to have them they should be intergrated.
And if R2 had been integrated, Luke and co. would've become a fine paste in the garbage compactor during ANH. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

If R2 had been integrated, Luke and Leia would never have been born. :P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:If R2 had been integrated, Luke and Leia would never have been born. :P
There you go. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Astromechs seem to fill the role of copilots, repair-droids and... someone to talk to on the long flights in hyperspace. They're not necessary... but I'd rather fly with one than without one.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I love the X-Wing.......but it's S-foils concern me. If the mechanisim fails, then what? Can an X-Wing go to hyperspeed with them open? Or can they fight with them closed? What benefit is really gained by having S-foils?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

To my knowledge the S-foils are there to expand the field of fire, disperse heat and spread out the shield bubble.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I believe it has something to do with speed vs maneuverability. Not sure how that works to tell the truth, but I heard it somewhere.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Nickswitz wrote:I believe it has something to do with speed vs maneuverability. Not sure how that works to tell the truth, but I heard it somewhere.
That only applied in atmosphere and it was brought out in Star Wars Starfighter.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Deepcrush wrote:
Nickswitz wrote:I believe it has something to do with speed vs maneuverability. Not sure how that works to tell the truth, but I heard it somewhere.
That only applied in atmosphere and it was brought out in Star Wars Starfighter.
Ok, that makes sense, I knew I heard it somewhere, just wasn't sure where, or what it was about exactly.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

IIRC, Saxton theorised that they may be to help with cooling the guns during use in some way. Presumably the ship doesn't need to have them open or closed for anything, it just helps.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Check out the X-Wing's sucessor. It looks like a cross between a P-38 Lightning and an X-Wing

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/X-83_Twi ... tarfighter