Old Republic (MMO Setting)

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Old Republic (MMO Setting)

Post by Monroe »

For those who don't know this is a new MMO coming out set in an exciting but as of yet unexplored time period. AFAIK there's no comics set in this time period and I know there's no games. There's only background information established here. So that allows for the game developers to really have fun with the setting.

Game mechanics aside, since that can have its own thread, what are your thoughts about the setting and / or predictions?
http://www.swtor.com/info/story/setting

Originally I had heard that the game would take place 7000 BBY which really got me excited. FIrst Sith awesome. But now looking at the site the date is set for 3500 BBY. Roughly 460 years after Revan. Still cool don't get me wrong but the Galaxy is a pretty war torn place at this point. This 4000-3000 millennium is pretty densely populated so far and it seems that the KOTOR guys really want this to be their millennium.

Reading the faq on the side there seems to be a Second Sith War after KOTOR. (take that SSM :P) They really need to rename these wars its getting a bit too confusing already and you know as time goes on they will make up new wars.

So what's your guys' impression of this new time period that's being opened by the game?
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Old Republic (MMO Setting)

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Looks fun. I doubt my system could run it well, though.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I'm wondering in this game are the Republic and the Sith two strong competitors going to war, or is the Republic yet again in danger of being overrun by the Sith. The setting link makes me think its the former is occurring since the Republic has in infrastructre rebuilt and its military is adjusting for the new galactic landscape (I think this means they are building up for confrontation with the Sith.) I like the military confrontation. However I don't think I'll be playing this game. I've never played an MMO. I don't have the time and I doubt I'll have the money.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

While 300 years is enough time to rebuild even the lowest armies I'm irritated that it has introduced not just one previously unknown Galactic War but two (As the MMO will surely be one). I mean Deep, SSM, has anyone ever heard of this Sith War they're talking about in the game? I'm not too much against it but back when I read the books there was the Hyperspace Wars and the Sith War. Now there's like two dozen wars in the Old Republic that I know very little about. Its frustrating :p
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I generaly don't bother with online games lately, so I doubt I'll bother with this one either. Still, looks nice.
Monroe wrote:I mean Deep, SSM, has anyone ever heard of this Sith War they're talking about in the game? I'm not too much against it but back when I read the books there was the Hyperspace Wars and the Sith War. Now there's like two dozen wars in the Old Republic that I know very little about. Its frustrating :p
The Republic lasted for about ten thousand years. It's naturaly going to have been involved in a shitload of wars during that period.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

25k years. And yes I agree. But its annoying when they all have the same names :P

-Remain Star Trek-
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I love KotOR. They're two of the best RPGs, not just Star Wars games but flat out RPGs, ever on the computer. This could very well get my money. If they ever get the 40K MMO going and it lets you play a sororitas there might be some serious soul searching going on though.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I dunno guys, I'm getting a big *meh* here. Looks to me like their just endlessly recycling ideas at this point. Ohh look....the same character classes, vehicles and weapons of the OT...again.

I'm still holding out for a WH40K RPG ala Oblivion.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

In my SWG guild we had a designer for a Warhammer40k game. It was canceled though but s/he told me a whole lot bout the proposed ideas. Many of them I saw implemented in the Warhammer MMO that came out.

And remember this thread is for the setting not the game :P jeesh lol

-Remain Star Trek-
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Will it ONLY be on PC, or on game consoles as well?

And what about KOTOR part three now? Any word?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

So far as I know, it will only be on PC... but I'm about a month behind on the news.

As for KOTOR 3, nothing yet. And Battlefront 3 is currently dead.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

As an MMORPG it could be an issue trying to integrate both PC and console players in one game world. If it does come out on console I expect that they'll be on separate servers from the PC folk. Short little servers.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, I can't see them putting this on a console, to be honest.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Trailer is dang impressive; the game itself may not be, but at least this was fun to watch. :)

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/dec ... eid=ea3719
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Pretty flippin' cool.

-Remain Star Trek-