Old Republic (MMO Setting)

SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Old Republic (MMO Setting)

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Deepcrush wrote:I'm just shocked that -
A, the Sith managed to not only attack the Capital World of the Republic so easily.
B, The Republic didn't see that coming... Its the Sith for God's sake... :roll:
The 'Great Galactic War' raged for decades and the Republic was spread even thinner than it was during the Jedi Civil War.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Don't forget, the 'dark force' makes them blind and stupid or something.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Mostly just stupid I think. Remember the prophecy of the chosen one? It took how many masters how long to figure out that "bring balance" might mean something besides annihilating the dark side?
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Didn't you guys read what I said on how the Great Galactic War went down? :bangwall:
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

And it has what to do with the Republic being run by idiots?
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Tyyr wrote:And it has what to do with the Republic being run by idiots?
Since it gave an excuse? This isn't like the Clone Wars where the Republic was literally ran into the ground.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

And I was speaking in the wider context of the Republic's whole history.

Regardless, they apparently left their capital so lightly defended that the Sith ran right over whoever was defending it and got right to ransacking the planet.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tyyr wrote:Mostly just stupid I think. Remember the prophecy of the chosen one? It took how many masters how long to figure out that "bring balance" might mean something besides annihilating the dark side?
They must really suck at math since even I know that balance means even and even means an equal number... :lol:

That and 2+2 are about as far as my math skills go.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Anyone else find it kind of stupid that the symbol for the Sith looked so much like the symbol for the Empire. You would think a populus movement that the Empire started out as would not be using symbols of the great evil they fought against thousands of years ago!

It would be like if Joe Liberman ran for President used the symbol of the Babylons who captured the Jews as slaves. It just doesn't make sense politically.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:They must really suck at math since even I know that balance means even and even means an equal number... :lol:
Not necessarily an even number of Jedi and Sith though. One theory I read once is that 'ordinary' evil - your everyday jealousy, anger, crime and suffering tends to tilt the Force towards the Dark Side. The presence and actions of relatively few Jedi can counteract this, but the Sith tip the scales again. Thus, the destruction of the Sith was required to rebalance the Force.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Captain Seafort wrote:Not necessarily an even number of Jedi and Sith though. One theory I read once is that 'ordinary' evil - your everyday jealousy, anger, crime and suffering tends to tilt the Force towards the Dark Side. The presence and actions of relatively few Jedi can counteract this, but the Sith tip the scales again. Thus, the destruction of the Sith was required to rebalance the Force.
And yet the only thing that got destroyed was the Jedi so not really thinking that interpretation carries much weight.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:And yet the only thing that got destroyed was the Jedi so not really thinking that interpretation carries much weight.
The Jedi weren't destroyed. They got a bad knock (and the sort of kick up up the backside the Order needed), but Bane's Sith were completely wiped out above Endor.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tyyr wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:Not necessarily an even number of Jedi and Sith though. One theory I read once is that 'ordinary' evil - your everyday jealousy, anger, crime and suffering tends to tilt the Force towards the Dark Side. The presence and actions of relatively few Jedi can counteract this, but the Sith tip the scales again. Thus, the destruction of the Sith was required to rebalance the Force.
And yet the only thing that got destroyed was the Jedi so not really thinking that interpretation carries much weight.
Captain Seafort wrote:
Tyyr wrote:And yet the only thing that got destroyed was the Jedi so not really thinking that interpretation carries much weight.
The Jedi weren't destroyed. They got a bad knock (and the sort of kick up up the backside the Order needed), but Bane's Sith were completely wiped out above Endor.
Yes, if you look at it: the Propheycy was fulfilled, just not necessarily in the way we expected. Who Killed the last Sith Lord? Anakin Skywalker by throwing him down the reactor shaft (or whatever it was) in the Death Star.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Tyyr wrote:It's the Republic. They had a Sith Lord for a Chancellor an nobody caught on.
Look at Palpatine before and after the lightning. Would you, with no previous experience with the Sith, even suspect someone who looks like a kind old grandfather as a demonic Sith Lord? Seriously?
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:Look at Palpatine before and after the lightning. Would you, with no previous experience with the Sith, even suspect someone who looks like a kind old grandfather as a demonic Sith Lord? Seriously?
Nope. Thank goodness the Jedi have all other kinds of senses besides just looking at him.