Traviss quits.

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Traviss quits.

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote:Denning is far from the best author to write for SW, but he at least has some understanding of what he's writing, even if the quality of the writing itself is sometimes somewhat iffy. Look at Star by Star for example - relativistic engagements, and fleets of tens of thousands. The forces at Denning's Battle of Coruscant comfortably outnumber Traviss' entire GAR.

SBS... the novel I'd like to shove in Denning's face while shouting, We'd like a next generation for when the Big three die, you son of a bitch!!!!!!!!! SW doesn't operate in COMIC BOOK TIME!

*Ahem*

I also thought the NRDF swallowed the idiot ball during that final battle, but that's just me.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

1) Who lived and who died was a decision made collectively by the entire NJO writing staff, not Denning alone (the same's true of Salvatore, who got some serious stick for Chewie's death).

2) The Vong War was (surprise, surprise) a war. The weakening of character shields demonstrated during the arc was one of its better aspects.

3) Why, oh why, does the "next generation" have to be a bunch of Skywalkers and Solos?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Captain Seafort wrote:1) Who lived and who died was a decision made collectively by the entire NJO writing staff, not Denning alone (the same's true of Salvatore, who got some serious stick for Chewie's death).

2) The Vong War was (surprise, surprise) a war. The weakening of character shields demonstrated during the arc was one of its better aspects.

3) Why, oh why, does the "next generation" have to be a bunch of Skywalkers and Solos?
1. Denning wrote it. I blame him. Petty, but I don't care. I don't like his writing, so gravy on top.

2. It's space fantasy. If SW was more realistic, Luke never would've made the shot. I read-past tense-SW to escape from reality, not to wallow in it.

3. Not just talking about Anakin. Lusa, Lyric, the members of the Strike Team killed such as Eryl Besa and the Barabels. Introduced to die. What a waste. :roll:
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I really liked Star By Star but I agree killing Anakin was a mistake. Killing Chewbaca was good I think though. By killing major and minor characters in practically every book the NJO really had some sense of drama and suspense it otherwise wouldn't have had.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I wouldn't have minded Chewie's death if Anakin had lived.

The New Jedi Order... got slaughtered. Way to go, Del Rey! :bangwall: :bangwall: :madashell: :madashell:
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote:1) Who lived and who died was a decision made collectively by the entire NJO writing staff, not Denning alone (the same's true of Salvatore, who got some serious stick for Chewie's death).
And for all the flak he got, he was a class act. None of the "I'll gut you MFer's!" of Traviss.
Because it sells, there's obviously a market for the same shite endlessly. Look at the KOTOR MMO, the wholesale recycling of plots, characters, vehicles etc. The hardcore "buy anything" fans are responsible for that.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Cpl Kendall wrote:
And for all the flak he got, he was a class act. None of the "I'll gut you MFer's!" of Traviss.
Because it sells, there's obviously a market for the same shite endlessly. Look at the KOTOR MMO, the wholesale recycling of plots, characters, vehicles etc. The hardcore "buy anything" fans are responsible for that.
1. What Salvatore had to go through was bullshit, no doubt about that. The death threats were unconscionable.

2. My favorite characters... are not Solo/Skywalkers. Tenel Ka, Lusa, Tionne, Lando, Wedge and others.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
2. My favorite characters... are not Solo/Skywalkers. Tenel Ka, Lusa, Tionne, Lando, Wedge and others.
Who the fuck said you did? I certainly didn't.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Cpl Kendall wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Who the f**k said you did? I certainly didn't.

I'm... just saying. A counterpoint to what you said. Not all fans eat up all SW.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Yeah I know, that's why I specified that the "hardcore buy anything fans" were responsible for the shitefest, not the average or casual fan.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

All right, Kendall. I gotcha.