Turbolaser questions

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Turbolaser questions

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:Theory... Her power plants are able to burn that much fuel but in fact never do as the ship itself is unable to use that much power. This guarantees that the ship will always have as much power as it can take while not having to worry about over stressing the power plants.
On the contrary - the figure is required by the feats the ships are capable of (i.e. Base Delta Zero). The figure of 40kt/sec is simply turning an order of magnitude estimate into a solid number. It's also calculable based on the acceleration the ship's capable of, but that involves rather more complicated maths than I'm up to.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

On the contrary
So you're saying my theory doesn't hold because your make believe numbers don't like it???

Any real reason or is that just your theory?
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Theory... Her power plants are able to burn that much fuel but in fact never do as the ship itself is unable to use that much power. This guarantees that the ship will always have as much power as it can take while not having to worry about over stressing the power plants.
On the contrary - the figure is required by the feats the ships are capable of (i.e. Base Delta Zero). The figure of 40kt/sec is simply turning an order of magnitude estimate into a solid number. It's also calculable based on the acceleration the ship's capable of, but that involves rather more complicated maths than I'm up to.
Honestly, any figure could be valid. For all we know, this "hypermatter" could produce 2000 TW of power from a few grams. We have no solid information on the matter involved, and most of the time, fictional matter has unrealistic (in the real world) properties.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

We may not know how much power they produce but we do have someone telling us how much fuel they burn. The problem is that the fuel tanks would be empty in seconds and the ship would be worthless.

The whole matter seems to lack sense. Plenty of theories and bullshit excuses but still little sense.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

But power produced is directly linked to fuel used.

What I was saying is, other than a non-thought out number being canon (is it canon, or just a theory), 4 kilotons/sec could be just as likely.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:So you're saying my theory doesn't hold because your make believe numbers don't like it???
No - your theory doesn't hold because George Lucas' make believe numbers don't like it.
We may not know how much power they produce but we do have someone telling us how much fuel they burn. The problem is that the fuel tanks would be empty in seconds and the ship would be worthless.
Prove it - we know that maximum annihilation rate, but not the fuel capacity. Without that we can't calculate endurance.
stitch626 wrote:Honestly, any figure could be valid. For all we know, this "hypermatter" could produce 2000 TW of power from a few grams.

We have no solid information on the matter involved, and most of the time, fictional matter has unrealistic (in the real world) properties.
Given that we have no evidence that it doesn't follow the known laws of physics (specifically the 9E16 J/kg limit imposed by relativity) then we should assume it does.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:No - your theory doesn't hold because George Lucas' make believe numbers don't like it.
So you're saying GL wrote ICS and that the book? I'll just take it you don't have a counter point.
Captain Seafort wrote:Prove it - we know that maximum annihilation rate, but not the fuel capacity. Without that we can't calculate endurance.
Prove what? That 40,000 tons per second wouldn't drain out a pair of tanks that looked about the size of a Turbolaser battery? You really couldn't figure that much on your own?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:So you're saying GL wrote ICS and that the book? I'll just take it you don't have a counter point.
1) The ICS is considered G-canon because it relates directly to the film itself.

2) George Lucas is responsible for the Death Star, which destroyed Alderaan with a 10^39J shot, and was about to destroy Yavin a day later at most. That requires a power generation capability of about 10^34W, or 10^14 tons/sec. Modelling the DS as a sphere and the VenStar as a pyramid of volumes 2E15 and 2.78E7 m^3 respectively, the DS is 77 million times the volume of the VenStar. Assuming power generation scales linearly with volume, the VenStar should have a power generation ability of 10^26 W, or over a million tons/sec. If anything, the ICS numbers are conservative.
Prove what? That 40,000 tons per second wouldn't drain out a pair of tanks that looked about the size of a Turbolaser battery? You really couldn't figure that much on your own?
Yes, prove that. This should be interesting, given that we've no evidence whatsoever of the density the fuel's stored at, and canon proof that the the VenStar a) eats 40kt/sec and b) has an endurance of hours.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:So you're saying GL wrote ICS and that the book? I'll just take it you don't have a counter point.
1) The ICS is considered G-canon because it relates directly to the film itself.
Wrong. ICS is C-Canon since its a Sourcebook.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:Wrong. ICS is C-Canon since its a Sourcebook.
Mind seafort, what is or isn't canon tends to change by his mood.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:Wrong. ICS is C-Canon since its a Sourcebook.
Fair enough. Well, mostly C-canon anyway. I was going by the original classification, forgetting that it changed a few years ago.

The point regarding the Death Star stands.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Wow, you really know how to pussy out of something don't you.

A, your canon point was just put down.
B, your countering your own DS point.
C, you haven't shown anything that would place the fuel supply as a super dense material.

Show me how and why those two tanks could carry enough fuel to last for more then a few seconds time at max power or just say you don't know.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:A, your canon point was just put down.
Which I conceded.
B, your countering your own DS point.
How?
C, you haven't shown anything that would place the fuel supply as a super dense material.
Yes I have.

1) The VenStar gets through 40kt/sec at full power.
2) the VenStar has an endurance of several hours at full power.

Ergo the VenStar must carry hundreds of million or billions of tons of fuel.
Show me how and why those two tanks could carry enough fuel to last for more then a few seconds time at max power or just say you don't know.
By storing it in super-dense form. We know their technology can cancel out thousands of G, so the gravitational effects wouldn't be a problem.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Except we're not talking about lots of gravity, we're talking about the kind that makes neutron stars in order to get that kind of compression.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Not even close. We know they can cancel out up to 3000G, otherwise the crew would be bloody smears at max acceleration. Assuming the fuel tank is a 10m diameter sphere you could carry enough enough fuel for more than a day of full power, and the surface gravity would only be 1G. The density would be about the same as that of a white dwarf - half a dozen orders of magnitude less than a neutron star.