Turbolaser questions

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Turbolaser questions

Post by Tyyr »

You'll need a hell of a lot more than 3,000G to compact matter to that degree. That's no where near the kind of forces you'll need to compact 3,456,000,000 tons of matter into a 10m sphere.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Fair enough then - I thought you were talking about the gravitational effects of the mass. As for how they get that compression, I've no idea, but they evidently do given the known max fuel consumption and endurance.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Oh no, given their inertial dampeners I assumed they'd have no issues with dealing with the gravitational effects of super dense fuels. The problem is getting them that dense. It takes phenomenal forces to start packing solid matter in that tightly. You get to the point where the atoms just don't compress anymore and you have to start smashing electrons lower and lower in their energy states to compress things any more. I have my doubts that even Star Wars has the ability to create those kind of forces on a whim, and with 100% reliability. At that kind of compression their fuel is every bit as dangerous as ST anti-matter. Even a minor fluctuation in containment (compression) and the fuel would expand, explosively, and then you've got a few billion tons of matter trying to occupy that limited volume of your ship along with everything else inside.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Then they'd better make sure the containment vessel is reliable.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.