Dyson sphere?

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Dyson sphere?

Post by Teaos »

Do you think that either the Empire or the New Republic is industrially and technologically capable of building a Dyson sphere? Or a Dyson Shell if you want to be pedantic. A full shell around a star ala Star Trek TNG "relics"?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Dyson sphere?

Post by Deepcrush »

They could, if they just turned out endless droids and had them building the thing.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Was the Death Star considered pushing the envelope in terms of engineering? If it was they may be incapable of building something that big with out it failing.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The Empire was rushing to complete those. Plus, both the NR and the Empire were horrible at managing their resources.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The Empire didn't seem to have much trouble constructing the DS2 in secret with a single shipping company with such a relatively tiny amount of materials and personel that their loss was never noticed.

Obviously the DS2 was a lot smaller than a Dyson Sphere/Shell, but it does indiciate they can take on some truly massive engineering schemes.

I'd say they could do it, but it'd take a long time. I think the question is why would they want to?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Rochey wrote:The Empire didn't seem to have much trouble constructing the DS2 in secret with a single shipping company with such a relatively tiny amount of materials and personel that their loss was never noticed.
Umm, again as had been pointed out before. They were behind schedule, they weren't a secret, and that single shipping company was a solar system. So half of this doesn't even matter. You are right that the personnel and material loss were tiny next to the supply of the Galactic Empire.
Obviously the DS2 was a lot smaller than a Dyson Sphere/Shell, but it does indiciate they can take on some truly massive engineering schemes.
This is my train of thought.
I'd say they could do it, but it'd take a long time. I think the question is why would they want to?
Because they can.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Deepcrush wrote: They were behind schedule
I know. But the fact that they were able to get it even that much completed in that timeframe is rather impressive.
Deepcrush wrote: they weren't a secret
Where're you getting that from? Mon Mothma pretty much states it's a secret in RotJ.

"Many Bothans died to bring us this information." I seriously doubt they died in the process of looking something up on Google.
Deepcrush wrote:and that single shipping company was a solar system
Huh? I don't quite get what you're saying here.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Why build it? To show off, especially for the emperor. And because they are useful if you use them right ala lots of living space.

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Rochey wrote: "Many Bothans died to bring us this information." I seriously doubt they died in the process of looking something up on Google.
:laughroll: :laughroll:
Maybe the Empire has installed pop-up blasters on the holonet.

I think the Empire and the NR both could. I think anytime during the Old Republic would have been tricky. Not impossible but tricky. Just the Old Republic was so corrupt during so much of its reign that for you to go to a non corrupt time period I don't know if the technology would have been there.

Far as if they would even want to or not... that's a good question. Its got its benefits and it would make a good new capital for the Galaxy. Coruscant has been the de facto capital since like the Zhell time period. Time for a change.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Teaos wrote:Was the Death Star considered pushing the envelope in terms of engineering? If it was they may be incapable of building something that big with out it failing.
A Dyson Sphere would be tricky and limited to a single star system. A Death Star (without the superlaser) would make a nice orbital habitat, and with hyperdrive it can move to new star systems if needed.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)