Ashoka Tano's Fate

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Ashoka Tano's Fate

Post by Tyyr »

For those who don't know she's one of the main characters of the Clone Wars movies and subsequent TV show. She's Anakin's padawan.

She presents quite a problem, canonicly. So far she's proven to be a significant part of Anakin's experience in the Clone War yet she's completely absent from Episode III, not even a mention in passing. The problem isn't limited to Ashoka either. Captain Rex, Anakin's clone commander isn't present in Episode III either. Given that Episode III begins during the Clone Wars, not several years after them, this is quite perplexing. Now OOU the explanation for this is simple, they weren't included because when Ep III was written Ashoka and Rex simply did not exist. However we're left wonder what's the IU explanation for this. If the CW cartoon gets its full run we might get an answer, or we might not.

So the question I put forth is, what happened to them? The easy answer is "they died," but I guess I'm looking for more. Additionally, assuming Ashoka didn't die prior to Episode III what happened to her? Order 66 casualty or one of the few who got out?

Couple scenarios I've come up with.

1) She dies, along with Rex prior to Episode III. In the interests of advancing the overall story I think it would go a long long way to helping Anakin down the dark path if they die while he was trying to save them. Maybe he wasn't strong enough to hold back something, or fight through their enemies to get to them, but ultimately he's left thinking that if he were just a bit stronger he could have saved them. The downside to this theory is that their deaths would have made a perfect knife for Palpatine to twist in Anakin, much like he did with Padme's doom. Why didn't he twist it? Anakin and Obi Wan's not talking about it would make a degree of sense. If the loss was recent they might not have wanted to talk about it.

2) Rex is still with the 501st, Anakin was pulled away for the special Grevious killing mission. Rex not being mentioned works here as Rex was off doing his job. The downside is that you have to ask why Anakin stuck around Courscant while Rex is off fighting and Anakin should be leading them.

3) Ashoka was promoted to Knight, given her own legion and is off doing her job. This answer probably brings up the fewest questions. Ashoka is alive, well, and off doing her thing freeing Anakin of the responsibility of her. Little reason to discuss her though the total absence of ANY mention of her is still a bit odd. The downside here is that this really does nothing for the story.
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Re: Ashoka Tano's Fate

Post by USSEnterprise »

Tyyr wrote: 3) Ashoka was promoted to Knight, given her own legion and is off doing her job. This answer probably brings up the fewest questions. Ashoka is alive, well, and off doing her thing freeing Anakin of the responsibility of her. Little reason to discuss her though the total absence of ANY mention of her is still a bit odd. The downside here is that this really does nothing for the story.
The problem with this is that we see in Ep III that Anikin is still just a Knight and blew up when he wasn't made a master. I do believe that once a Jedi trains a padawan into a knight they are awarded the rank of Master. Her dieing sometime before Ep III is the most logical thing.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

USSEnterprise wrote:The problem with this is that we see in Ep III that Anikin is still just a Knight and blew up when he wasn't made a master. I do believe that once a Jedi trains a padawan into a knight they are awarded the rank of Master. Her dieing sometime before Ep III is the most logical thing.
Where is that stated? That's the second time I've heard it here but where's the proof of that?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Way things are going in the Legacy comics...
She probably survived and is now alive a hundred-forty years or so.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Personally that would make me happy. Still wonder how she wound up that way though.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Tyyr wrote:
USSEnterprise wrote:The problem with this is that we see in Ep III that Anikin is still just a Knight and blew up when he wasn't made a master. I do believe that once a Jedi trains a padawan into a knight they are awarded the rank of Master. Her dieing sometime before Ep III is the most logical thing.
Where is that stated? That's the second time I've heard it here but where's the proof of that?
I've looked around, but I can't find where I read it. At the very least, two people here have independantly heard the same thing. Wookieepedia, whose article on Jedi Masters I first looked at ten minutes ago, says the same thing but I can't find a source for it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Well two people saying the same thing doesn't really mean squat to me. If that's a canon fact then its been stated somewhere. No source listed for a very major point makes me question if its the actual way things are or if its just fan speculation.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed. I'll concede the point until I can find solid evidence for it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Tyyr wrote:Personally that would make me happy. Still wonder how she wound up that way though.
What, her living through to the Legacy era?
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

Qui-Gon earned the title of master when he trained his first padawan apprentice to knighthood. Although his second apprentice failed to become a knight. Obi-Wan is Qui-Gon's third padawan and a worth student of his wisdom and skill.
The Episode I visual dictionary says that. It appears to infer that a Jedi is given the title of master when he trains a padawan to knighthood.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Either she's dead from Order 66 or she's in hiding. Simple as that for me. I never cared.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

USSEnterprise wrote:The Episode I visual dictionary says that. It appears to infer that a Jedi is given the title of master when he trains a padawan to knighthood.
Well does it out right say it or is it inferred?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

E1VD, per Ent's quote wrote:Qui-Gon earned the title of master when he trained his first padawan apprentice to knighthood.
Seems pretty emphatic to me.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Um... no it isn't, it means that one Jedi did it, doesn't mean that it happened to everyone.

Maybe there are many other qualifications that go along with the training.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

The wording isn't exact enough. If it said " Qui-Gon earned the title of master because he trained his first padawan apprentice to knighthood..." than yeah. As it stands now though, it could easily be taken that he and his padawan were just promoted at the same time. Hell, his padawan making knight could even be the reason Qui got his promotion, and yet still not be the exact requirement, merely something the other masters took into consideration.