RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Ship of the Week: The Millennium Falcon

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

"What a piece of junk!"

Luke Skywalker, ANH

The 'hot rod' of the GFFA. The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy. More tricked out than anything else. And more problems than Nar Shadda has Hutts. :P Inspired by Mark's comment in the favorite ship's thread. What do you think of her? Why do you think Han keeps her so sloppily-maintained?

Wookieepedia link
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Ship of the Week: The Millennium Falcon

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I think it's a great ship, regardless of the strangeness of an off-axis cockpit.

He probably doesn't keep it in tip-top shape because he doesn't have the money to. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Ugly as sin and horribly laid out floor plan but I can't help but admire it. Its been there for three death stars and I think a Darksaber's destruction.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tsukiyumi wrote:He probably doesn't keep it in tip-top shape because he doesn't have the money to.
Exactly the case. In Before the Storm, he got the Falcon back after putting her in for a thorough service, and got her back straightened out, wires tagged, a few extra gizmos the mechanics had "acquired", and shiny as could be. Han, of course, grumbled about all of it.

The problem with the cockpit placement also got a mention in Tyrant's Test - no explanation of why the cockpit was over there in the first place, but it was stated that most YT-1300s had a laser rangefinder on the port side to compensate. Guess who refused to get one fitted.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

So... 90% of the Falcons's problems are Han's fault? :lol:
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Pre-Endor, you can't really blame him - he and Chewie never had the money to give the Falcon the sort of overhaul and extra gismos she needed. Post-Endor you can certainly blame him - they had the money and resources and them some, but Han wanted to keep everything the same as it had always been. I suspect the refit was at Leia's insistence, although I can't find a direct mention in BtS.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I hope to hell it was for their kids. You don't want the Falcon breaking down with them aboard.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I hope to hell it was for their kids. You don't want the Falcon breaking down with them aboard.
Breaking down? I'd be more worried about the damn thing falling apart.

He didn't, however, do things entirely by the book - the Falcon only passed its spaceworthiness certificate through a combination of called in favours, backhanders, and simply pulling rank. Not because she was unsafe at all - given that it was treated the Solo family caravan, neither Han or Leia was going to risk the kids in an unsafe ship. The problem was that civvie ships aren't allowed quad lasers, or various other goodies, and Han "never got around" to removing the Falcon's optional extras.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Yeah. I remember that from the BFC and 'Cracken's Threat Dossier', how the wrights at the 'Barss Yard' took a gleeful pride in the rebuild. Turns out the Falcon also operates under a CLass One Military Waiver. So they weren't careful about staying in spec.

Also, Seafort, you gotta admit breaking down in deep space would be a ... bit of a problem. :P
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Yeah. I remember that from the BFC and 'Cracken's Threat Dossier', how the wrights at the 'Barss Yard' took a gleeful pride in the rebuild. Turns out the Falcon also operates under a CLass One Military Waiver.
Not any more she doesn't - it was specifically mentioned in Ambush at Corellia that she's officially a stock YT-1300, completely disarmed.
Also, Seafort, you gotta admit breaking down in deep space would be a ... bit of a problem. :P
Not really - just sit tight, shoot off a subspace or hypercomm message, and await rescue. The cockpit or something falling off during reentry would be rather more of a problem.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

That's... remarkable stupid of him. Hope to hell it was short-lasting, too.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Monroe wrote:Ugly as sin and horribly laid out floor plan but I can't help but admire it. Its been there for three death stars and I think a Darksaber's destruction.
Hmm, why don't you like the floor plan, Monroe?
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Monroe wrote:Ugly as sin and horribly laid out floor plan but I can't help but admire it. Its been there for three death stars and I think a Darksaber's destruction.
Hmm, why don't you like the floor plan, Monroe?
Mainly the placement of the cockpit.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I agree, the cockpit could be in a far better place.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Also... for a freighter it doesn't hold much freight. I know its a light freighter but still... and also how the hell can that pull up into a loading dock like real life's freighters (Trucks) do?

-Remain Star Trek-