Size of Star Wars armies

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Size of Star Wars armies

Post by Sionnach Glic »

But Tyyr, don't you know there were only three million clones for the entire conflict? And it's not like they were up against the quintillions of droids that was stated. That was just faulty inteligence. Much like how we now know that the Russian Army is actualy composed of a couple of dozen guys with Kalashnikovs.
And anyway, it wasn't even a major conflict after all. It was just made up of minor skirmishes across the galaxy.

Jesus, that physicaly hurt to write.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: On Chakats (again)

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:...Jesus, that physicaly hurt to write.
Well, get those thumbtacks off of the keyboard!
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Three million on one world maybe.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

And that would be on the low end...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I could see three million on a minor planet as a standing force. But not for a battle... that they'd win.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Depends on how minor you're thinking - that's only three times the size of the North Korean Army.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Minor as in, only has a NYC sized piece of land.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

It really depends. Do you go with the defend a few vital points method of planetary defense? Then you can have armies of only a couple million per side going at it. If you decide to do WWII but across the entire planet you could be talking tens of millions of troops per side.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:It really depends. Do you go with the defend a few vital points method of planetary defense? Then you can have armies of only a couple million per side going at it.
That's how I'd imagine they'd do it - after all, fighting in the open would be suicidal against orbital bombardment. They'd have to restrict their defence to the major urban areas, or areas covered by theatre shields.
If you decide to do WWII but across the entire planet you could be talking tens of millions of troops per side.
And the rest. The Red Army had almost seven million men deployed on the Eastern Front in January 1945, and as huge as that front was, it covered only a tiny fraction of the world. You'd need low hundreds of millions of men to fight a global war, even on Earth. As for the worst case scenario, fighting house-by-house to defend or capture Coruscant, the numbers become mind-boggling. You'd need trillions at least.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'm of the opinion that there's no real way to conqueror a world like Courscant. The number of men and machines would be mind boggling and you'd be fighting door to door across the entire planets surface. You'd never be able to stamp out an insurgency. I think most governments would have to settle for controlling central government buildings, the surrounding areas, and maybe the surface but on the whole the planet is going to do what it'll do.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Size of Star Wars armies

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, bit city-planets would be effectively impossible to conquer properly. Any guerilla insurgency would have a great time in such an environment. Best to just besiege them, cutting off all supplies to the planet until they surrender, then simply move your own men in to take over key buildings (government buildings, planetary shield generators, spaceports, etc).

As far as three million soldiers goes, that'd only be enough to defend a small colony world. And that's provided all the population is clustered fairly close together. If it's spread out across the entire planet in small settlements, even 3 million isn't going to work.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I write this off as KTs bullshit. Nothing like a film girl talking about how she knows more about war then real life soldiers... :laughroll:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Billions, trillions. And that's just the soldiers. The logistics must be mind-boggling.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Thats why I think they should bring in some help from the Warhammer writers. They know how to think big!
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Yes they do. Size of Star Wars armies are so tiny its unreal. Any Galactic civilization reading the Star Wars canon would die laughing :P
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-