Should the Yuuzhan Vong have done so well in the war...

SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Should the Yuuzhan Vong have done so well in the war...

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

...with only 11,000 ships (which are basically flying rocks that shoot fricking LAVA), infantry that uses only MELEE weapons, and other deficiencies?
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Should the Yuuzhan Vong have done so well in the war...

Post by stitch626 »

I do not know enough about the NR erra to comment on this. But, with the info you have given, I'd say no. Unless the New Republic consisted of one planet.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

stitch626 wrote:I do not know enough about the NR erra to comment on this. But, with the info you have given, I'd say no. Unless the New Republic consisted of one planet.
I think its because of Borsk Fey'lya's incompentence. I mean, damn, how the fricking HELL did that bastard get elected?
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:...with only 11,000 ships (which are basically flying rocks that shoot fricking LAVA), infantry that uses only MELEE weapons, and other deficiencies?
The infantry weren't only melee. They had razor and thud bugs. Also their armor was blaster proof and could block lightsabers. Also their 'mech' units weren't anything to scoff at.

They only had 11,000 capital ships? What's your source for that? I would have thought they wouldn't have assigned a real number to their invasions. Oh and they also had the native Galaxy collaborators.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I haven't read anything other than "Dark Force Rising" from the EU, so I don't know much about the Vong.

About the "lava cannons" though, ESB shows a Star Destroyer damaged (or destroyed) by an asteroid hit to it's command tower, so it's not like kinetic energy weapons would be paltry things...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Monroe wrote:
SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:...with only 11,000 ships (which are basically flying rocks that shoot fricking LAVA), infantry that uses only MELEE weapons, and other deficiencies?
The infantry weren't only melee. They had razor and thud bugs. Also their armor was blaster proof and could block lightsabers. Also their 'mech' units weren't anything to scoff at.

They only had 11,000 capital ships? What's your source for that? I would have thought they wouldn't have assigned a real number to their invasions. Oh and they also had the native Galaxy collaborators.
It was one of hte Chronology's. There were only 11,000 ships in their fleet, and by SBS, it was half that.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:
Monroe wrote:

It was one of hte Chronology's. There were only 11,000 ships in their fleet, and by SBS, it was half that.
I think that might be an error. If I remember right the fleet against Coruscant had multiple thousands and they still had ships to do decoy attacks elsewhere.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Monroe wrote:
I think that might be an error. If I remember right the fleet against Coruscant had multiple thousands and they still had ships to do decoy attacks elsewhere.
Star By Star had their main battle fleet consisting of Thousands of ships, true, but the total fleet was around 11,000. After taking Coruscant, they effectively lost half their fleet.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Remember though, and this is important since a lot of people miss this, that the NR was still fighting several Imperial factions and local sector powers at the time. Combined with their slow build up of their fleets after the founding. The NR simply didn't have the number of ships needed to take on the Vong. Had the Empire been around when the Vong attacked it would have been a totally different matter.

Almost forgot. Those Vong World Ships (more like cities but hey, its not up to me) were no joke in battle. One of them was equal to a SSD.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The NR did have the forces available to fend off the initial YV assault when it came. The problem was they didn't bother reacting until it was too late, and the invasion had already built enough momentum and strength to steamroll the pathetic defences they put together.

If they'd reacted quickly, deployed more than a handful of ships to fend them off, and given the invasion the attention it deserved then the YV wouldn't have gotten very far.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I think the main problem was lack of intelligence on the matter. The NR was swamped with local conflicts and only had the Jedi telling them that this was anything but a minor species making a stand.

-Remain Star Trek-
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Monroe wrote:I think the main problem was lack of intelligence on the matter. The NR was swamped with local conflicts and only had the Jedi telling them that this was anything but a minor species making a stand.
And also Borsk's idiocy and incompetence.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

For the YV, they would have been initially attacking with different technology and large numbers. The different technology would mean that most defenses are not keyed to recognize them, and most of the technology has to be reconfigured to work against them. So right off the bat, the known defenses and attacks of the NR were much less effective than normal. As time goes by, they learn more and develop new ideas. The YV are learning as well, so you get a nice back and forth. The large numbers means the YV can do their best to prevent anyone getting away with information, while allowing the capability to soak up losses while learning.

Of course, once the NR actually hit its stride, and was churning out war droids and distributing the necessary data, the YV would be destroyed.

I'd like to add one other stupidity that hampered the war effort was where the inhabitants of the planets under attack are only evacuated to the next star system (that is close to the YV advance). Result - when the next star system gets hit, you have the original evacuees and the inhabitants who need to be evacuated, doubling your problems (and adding up as more planets get hit).

If the refugee ships had stayed at FTL for an extra half hour, they could have gotten the refugees much farther behind the lines (how fast is civilian freighter hyperdrive?). By dumping refugees to multiple planets all over the sector (and eventually the galaxy) you would have woken up more systems that there was a major problem.

I'm surprised that the Empire got caught so poor though. They should have had spies all over the NR, gathering information 24/7. Best would have been an (ex)-Imperial pilot working for the Jedi, as the Jedi would be the ones going into the toughest problems, meaning the Empire finds out about the serious problems that way, along with the solutions that were developed.

The battle at Coruscant would have had Pellaeon arriving with the Imperial Navy, fully trained on Vong tactics, catching the Vong fleet in a pincer move, and slaughtering most of it. The developed jammer would have been downloaded into all the Interdictors and other ships with gravity well generators to make the YV fleet leaderless, and the slaughter would have been wonderful.

After that, while Coruscant rebuilds its defenses, the Imperial fleet guards the planet. That was their original job in the Empire, and they are doing it again. Of course, technically, bringing the Imperial fleet into NR space is an act of war, but there is nothing nearby to fight them with, and nobody wants them to leave for a bit. If enough fleet units do arrive to protect Coruscant, the Imperial Fleet can go back home (after exploiting the political benefits for all they are worth).

Result - lots of systems see the Imperial Remnant being powerful enough to protect other systems against major attacks, and theNR can't even defend its own capital planet. Cue the defections.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I think the Empire and the Corporate Sector both made huge gains in territory and wealth after the war. Empire received several systems due to treaties that were signed and the Corporate Sector just took them. I didn't read any books after the NJO so I don't know what happened next.

-Remain Star Trek-
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

After that came the Fel-Dynasty ruling the Empire.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu