You Crush the Rebellion

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

You Crush the Rebellion

Post by Monroe »

We've had several 'You do blah' threads so I figured one that's not Star Trek.

You become the enforcer of the Emperor. Your job is to crush the rebellion shortly AFTER the battle of Yavin (4th movie) what do you do to stim the growing rebel sympathies and to crush the rebels that exist?
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: You Crush the Rebellion

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Are we still wasting resources on the second Death Star? That would change things a bit.

Also, I'd downplay the destruction of Alderaan ("what Death Star?"), and switch from the "rule by fear" doctrine to a "the Empire is your friend" policy. Try to make the Rebellion look like "terrorists", and concentrate on building patrol ships to cover more territory and root out the Rebels.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

You can build the Second Death Star if you'd like.

See I'd go the opposite route. Throughout history the worse dictators never fall. Its only ones who are so-so bad. I'd build multiple death stars increase the Imperial fleet and begin making people disappear. The Empire did all of this in smaller quantities but I'm talking about erasing 10-20% of the population. A dozen Death Stars. Destruction of planets with known rebel sympathies such as Mon Calamari, the Bothan Homeworld, etc. Now that is rule by fear that would really work. When insufficient patriotism is enough to have you executed you get two hour standing ovations for walking into a room. Just ask Stalin ;)

You're never going to be able to keep everyone in line no matter how many Storm Troopers there are. But if you scare 95% of the population into falling in line then they will force the other 5% to do likewise. No matter how bad you hate the Empire would you let Joe Smoe next door spread rebel propaganda if it meant him alone could be responsible for your entire city being vaporized?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Ignore Alderaan, out of sight is out of mind. One system out of a million. Not a big deal. Blowing up a planet was pointless. Or, if need be, blame it on Tarkan. Have a look-a-like stand trial for for war crimes. "The Battle Station was never meant for such use." You could claim and that his actions are unacceptable. Bring up all those who died because of it... not just the people on the planet but the crew of the station. Claim then that Tarkan ran off like a coward of his own action. Give the people someone to hate, someone to focus their hate on. Then, gag the look-a-like and take him out to a public place. Since the guy isn't really Tarkan, he'll try to get away. Making Tarkan seem all the more of a coward. Tie him to a post, he'll still be kicking and screaming. Have a squad of Storm Troopers line up and blast him. Announce that "This is what happens to those who would harm the people under the Empire's protection." Gives the view that everyone is under the rule of law. Its not true, but hey, so what. Image is what matters in the real world, not truth.

Next, support local enforcement groups but leave them mostly in control of dealing with the Rebels. If they need help they can call for it and we'll answer. This has two effects. One, the rebels won't be fighting the Empire but the local people they are trying to "free". This leads to the second effect of forming a wedge between the rebels and many of the would be supporters. Even if this doesn't make the people fully support the Empire, it will make it hard for them to know who to support.

Next up. Many of the outer rim worlds that had suffered from crime etc before the Empire in fact like the Empire. They feel better about having somewhere and someone to turn to about their problems. The Empire didn't really care but it was a great source of Loyal persons for their services. However, you can play this to your benefit. Bring those people in and talk as much as possible about how happy they are that the Empire as come. "Sure there are down sides to this government but there are upsides as well. Lets not forget all those that we can help." Something like that. Let the PR guys come up with the long version.

Trash the Death Star idea. What a waste of resources. Use all that money to build up more ISD's and at the same time... write off the Death Star and too risky a thing to be built. Bring up Alderaan if need be as the reason. "Can we risk having such power in any one man's hands? Of course not. So, that project is not only canceled but banned!" Again, play up that PR. The sheeple are so easily fooled.

Next up, stop this cheap TIE fighter crap. The RA was turning out Aces left and right. They used better training and better equipment everywhere they could. They knew they wouldn't win the numbers game so they played the superior ability card. Whatever the Empire could do, they could do better, man for man and pound for pound. Time to change that. Stop building TIE standards and start turning out Advanded TIEs and TIE Defenders. Also, up the training for our pilots. I'd be tired of loosing five fighters for every one rebel fighter. Every time that happens the rebels earn another hero and another PR victory. Time to take that away from them. Now our pilots match theirs, with craft that match theirs and we have more of them. Its a loosing battle no matter what the rebels do. They now have to out number the Empire anywhere they want a victory. Thats a tough act at best. Damn near impossible at worst.

The ground forces need the same make over. Time to bring back the Grand Army of the Republic. Or at the least bring back its "style". Such as anyone who wants to serve can serve. No matter the race or home world. Also, again, bring back better training. Some of the Storm Trooper Legions were well trained. But these were elite units and were few and far far far between. Most were just brainwashed troops who were then given armor and a blaster.

Finally, stop the "only for human's act" that seemed to carry everywhere. Either they are loyal to the Empire or they aren't but don't make it a race thing. This is a huge matter because it is something that helps the Rebel's cause as they have a "we want to be equals" card.

The Empire has the ability and time to produce superior troops, ships and services... so its time to do it. Even if you left the Rebels alone for a few months or even a year. They still can't really do any major damage to the Empire. The rebels are in this for the long game. The Empire keeps looking for a quick finish but you can't have that. There will always be people who are unhappy. Its just the nature of people. Start looking to the future. Plan ahead, not just a year, or two years but five-ten-even twenty years. Put the rebels in the very position they have to avoid. That is, make them run the risk of looking like the bad guys. Sure, today maybe you like the rebels a bit. Or even a lot. But ten years from now, after one of their bombings against a government building killed a member of your family. After you've had to live in Martial Law because its the only way to be safe at night. Do you think you'll still like them? No, you won't. But like everything. It's a matter of time.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Firstly, change "rule by fear" to "we're the best choice there is". Increase civil liberties, fund some nice projects, etc.
To vilify the Rebellion, blow up some public buildings (hospitals, schools, etc) and frame the Rebels for it.
Lose the TIEs and start building some fucking good fighters.

To get rid of the existing Rebellion, I start building the DS2 and convince the Rebels to attack, as happened originaly. But with a few differences.
Firstly, I raze everything in a ten mile radius around the shield generator completely. That should stop the Rebel strike team from defeating the legion or so of troops there.
While I'm at it, change "a legion of my best troops" to "ten legions, including tanks and air support".
I don't actualy visit the DS2 myself. Instead, a droid lookalike will go in my stead, with no one knowing it's not really me. Meanwhile, the real me takes a vacation in a nice big battleship until the battle's over.
Have several Interdictors jump in around the perimiter of the battlefield once the Rebels have arrived to prevent them escaping. Proceed to take the fleet apart ship by ship.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Indeed, Deep and Rochey echo my thoughts. Make a condition in which the general population doesn't want to support the RA. If the people feel safe and their bellies are full, *poof* support for the rebellion disappears.

The arena in which I would have an iron fist, to support the above goal, is in crushing the cartels, Hutt organizations, etc. No petty warlords ruling little feifs of my Empire. Similarly, bring the hammer down on smuggling, piracy, etc. People who operate outside the law tend to bring the infection of independent thought to the herd- I mean, the people.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Mikey wrote:The arena in which I would have an iron fist, to support the above goal, is in crushing the cartels, Hutt organizations, etc. No petty warlords ruling little feifs of my Empire. Similarly, bring the hammer down on smuggling, piracy, etc. People who operate outside the law tend to bring the infection of independent thought to the herd- I mean, the people.
At least, try to make it look like this is what you're doing.
Sometimes, you'll want to have those pawns arond to blame someone for something bad that happens:
"That killer Flu outbreak on Nerala III? We have it on good authority that it came from the "Nar Shadda Angels", that criminal group lead by a Hutt!"
Now people hate the criminal groups, you have your scapegoats, and you can continue to experiment on biological warfare.
In fact, you can even use these groups as test subjects for your "inventions"... :mrgreen:
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Am I the only one who would take rule by fear to the next level?

-Remain Star Trek-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It tends to be self-defeating. While you may crush the spirit of the majority, sooner or later you squeeze too tight and end up engendering support for the revolutionaries.
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Mikey wrote:It tends to be self-defeating. While you may crush the spirit of the majority, sooner or later you squeeze too tight and end up engendering support for the revolutionaries.
But if you squeeze even tighter then they'll be too afraid to oppose your rule. Soft dictators get over thrown. Iron fist ones don't.

-Remain Star Trek-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Sure they do. Out of the following, who is still in power?

Hitler
Stalin
Idi Amin
Pol Pot
Duvalier
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Seems between all points made. Rochey, Mikey and myself agree.

Power is not what you can take but what you get other people to give. Be as evil as you like. Sooner or later your own military will turn on you. The idea of just crushing everything means that the people you are trying to crush have nothing to lose. No matter how many troops you have. The civil population will always out number you.

Its purely a losing battle.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Mikey wrote:Sure they do. Out of the following, who is still in power?

Hitler
Stalin
Idi Amin
Pol Pot
Duvalier
Last guy I'm not familiar with but the first four (Hitler being the softest of them on his own people) none of them were overthrown from within. AFAIK, though my information on Idi and Pol is kind of low. They weren't over powered by their own population I don't think.

-Remain Star Trek-
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

You're kidding right???? I hope so...

Hitler started the most deadly war in human history. He built death camps for use against everyone, including his own people. When he was losing the war he then decided that he would have all his people die for failing to complete his plan.

Stalin may have been the worst of them all. He had your same idea of crush crush crush everyone. Nice to see how well the USSR is doing these days right...? Oh, my bad... :poke:
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

His point is neither one was overe thrown from with in, Stalin died in a puddle of his own piss on the floor, natural causes (supposedly).

Hitler ate a bullet.

Neither was over thrown.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.