3.000.000 Clones and SW2

mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

3.000.000 Clones and SW2

Post by mlsnoopy »

When I first heard that there were supose to be only 3 million clones fighting in the clone wars I couldn't understand how could someone make such a mistake. But yestrday I was watching Attack of the clones and having the number in mind, I notice that the number of clones could only be counted in millions.

Kammino had 200.000 units ready with a million on the way. So the million units on the way gives us the maximum number of clones that could be produced in a single production run.
Clones, given growth accelrators, mature in half the time, that would take a normal human. So every 4,5 months, from embrio to infant, a new batch could be produced. So the war lasted for three years, thats 32 months,in that time 7 series could be delivered to the republic. Thats 7 million clones+ 1.2 million that were delivered at the begining of the war for a total of 8.2 million clones. Now if growth acceleration doesn't begine until an embrio is fully matured, than a new bach of clones would be ready every 9 months. And only 4.2 million clones would be delivered during the war. SO the writter who wrote that only 3million clones fought in the war wasn't that far of.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: 3.000.000 Clones and SW2

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

In a galaxy-spanning conflict, 3 million clones... would be wiped out in a day or so.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Your deduction seems sound, Snoopy - but as Striker said, there's no way that war could be waged with three million clones. The obvious reasoning (to me, at least) would point to other facilities than Kamino.

Of course, Karen Traviss would no doubt hope for me to go kill myself for making the above statement.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

So 3 million clones fought quadrillions of droids on at least one million planets?

During the war, cloning stations were set up all over the place (such as the Spaarti cloning units Thrawn would later use). As such, the number would grow massively.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Apart from the obvious problems of scale (less than half the strength of the Red Army in 1945), snoopy's approach assumes that "unit" refers to a single clone. It could just as easilly refer to a battalion, a division, an army. If it refers to the latter, then the 1.2 million units mentioned could represent well over a trillion men.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I hope it'd be at least a trillion. Otherwise, that sound you hear is SoD being torn in half like two bulls pulling on a piece of string.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Even trillions would be a very small force, given the quadrillions or quintillions of battle droids. The overall strength of the Republic really needs to be within an order of magnitude of that of the CIS at the very most, even assuming significant tactical superiority on the part of the clones.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Yoda said he would take a "unit'' of clones to help the Wookies.

Mace Windu took that too mean a Battalion (plus a single Venator which only carried around 2,000 troops).

I would would take that to be the measurement to go by. 2,000 x 1.2 million units. Thats 2.4 billion troops just to start the war. This would be supported through the war with a new batch every 4-5 months. I would also point out that it wasn't just the Clones who fought. Local systems would no doubt build up their own armies for defense.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Yoda said he would take a "unit'' of clones to help the Wookies.

Mace Windu took that too mean a Battalion (plus a single Venator which only carried around 2,000 troops).
Actually, Windu mentioned sending an "attack group", Yoda stated that he'd go, and Windu then settled on a battalion. No mention was ever made of the number of type of ships deployed. This seems to me to be an exceptionally small force to be deployed to the defence of a planet, especially under Yoda's command - he was effectively the Republic's Chief of Defence Staff. Windu might be refering specifically to troops taken from Coruscant, and not be taking other forces into account, such as any clones already stationed on Kashyyyk, or ordered there from staging grounds other than Coruscant.
I would would take that to be the measurement to go by. 2,000 x 1.2 million units. Thats 2.4 billion troops just to start the war. This would be supported through the war with a new batch every 4-5 months.
Still far too small. Even is twice that number were being deployed every month the total forces throughout the war would be less than a fifth of a trillion - the CIS would have them outnumbered by at least four orders of magnitude.
I would also point out that it wasn't just the Clones who fought. Local systems would no doubt build up their own armies for defense.
Don't forget that the CIS also deployed auxillaries - that would more or less cancel out the Republic's forces and bring us back to the key struggle of clones vs droids.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I had always figured that the CIS had the advantage in ground forces due too their numbers. I also felt that the Republic seemed superior in fleet actions.

Its just a thought, since such could have a rather large effect on how the war would be fought.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

And at least compared to the B-1 battle droids, clones were superior. Not sure about the super battle droids or beyond...

But any number more than three million is better!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:I had always figured that the CIS had the advantage in ground forces due too their numbers. I also felt that the Republic seemed superior in fleet actions.

Its just a thought, since such could have a rather large effect on how the war would be fought.
All true, but the fact that the CIS got a thumping at Geonosis, and the Republic's Home Fleet was getting similar treatment at Coruscant before the 5th Open Circle Fleet butted in suggests that the margin is very small. Certainly not large enough for the Republic's eventual victory to be attributed solely to its naval strength - they must have been able to take territory off the CIS on the ground.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Just out of curiosity, is there anything in the movies that actually says millions of planets are involved?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Not directly, but Dooku mentions thousands of planets having joined the separatists in AotC, RotS shows the war spreading at least from Coruscant to the Outer Rim, and Lucas' foreword to "Shatterpoint" refers to the war engulfing the galaxy.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

All true, but the fact that the CIS got a thumping at Geonosis, and the Republic's Home Fleet was getting similar treatment at Coruscant before the 5th Open Circle Fleet butted in suggests that the margin is very small. Certainly not large enough for the Republic's eventual victory to be attributed solely to its naval strength - they must have been able to take territory off the CIS on the ground.
Wouldn't a leap from offensive work? By cutting off then capturing factory worlds from the CIS. The GAR using is fleets to stem the CIS and allowing itself to pick and chose where the next major battle would be fought. This of course wouldn't work everytime but would allow the GAR to begin cutting back the ability of the CIS to replace its droid losses.