More Star Wars EU idiocy

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Suncrusher was cool.
A small fighter-sized ship with armour that can't be scratched by an known weapon in the galaxy that can be flown by one man and blow up stars? That's the epitome of wank.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Rochey wrote:
Suncrusher was cool.
A small fighter-sized ship with armour that can't be scratched by an known weapon in the galaxy that can be flown by one man and blow up stars? That's the epitome of wank.
What about the Death Star super-laser? Could that at least dent the armor?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think they tried firing a superlaser at it. Can't remember what happened, but I'm pretty sure it stayed in one piece.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Rochey wrote:I think they tried firing a superlaser at it. Can't remember what happened, but I'm pretty sure it stayed in one piece.
The Prototype Death Star was able to damage it. The only reason why the Suncrusher wasn't obliterated was due to the faulty targetting system of the ProtoDeath Star.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Okay, so nothing in the galaxy can destroy it, except for a planet-destroying superweapon.
Still the epitome of wank.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:Dark Empire was part of *Dark Horse* not Bantam.
Right ho.
Suncrusher was cool.
The suncrusher would be stupidly wanked if it was built by the Culture, let alone SW.
Enough's been said about Daala.
Exactly
That's a collection of short stories, which not all of them good.
No, it's a novel. Wookieepedia
Probably because 'minimalism' is easier to work with and write than maximism.
So authors should pedal grossly deflated ideas of what a galactic-scale civilisation is like because its easier? If they can't depict scale accurately then they shouldn't write Star Wars.
There were plenty off good novels in the Bantam Era. Unlike Del Rey which has been crap after crap after crap.
There were some good novels - Zahn's and Allston's books spring to mind. The rest was either mediocre or shite.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

The only EU stuff I read was the Thrawn trilogy, but I looked up the Suncrusher on wookiepedia, and I think that's about the most absurd thing I've ever seen. It's like a ship on god mode in Wing Commander, ramming through cap ships, and invunerable to weaponry... Come on.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote:Dark Empire's Wankatine, the Suncrusher, Corporal Daala, The New Rebellion, The Crystal Star, all the non-Yvetha bits of the BFC, the absurd minimalism in everything (even the otherwise good stuff). If that's your idea of good I shudder to think what would count as bad.
Paplatine as full-blown Sith Lord basically cutting loose. The Suncrusher was a pretty damned neat idea. New Rebellion, don't have much of an opinion on. Crystal Star introed Lusa and Waru was awesome. I don't mind minimalisim and really don't bother to count ships.

It was uplifting, fun to read and left me with a good feeling after finishing the books. So, yeah. That's good to me. God for-friggin-bid I want to just escape for a bit and lose myself in a space opera.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Paplatine as full-blown Sith Lord basically cutting loose.
Using powers so far beyond anthything previously seen in any format it was stupid, and the rediculous transfering-into-clones routine. Never mind the fact that bringing him back at all cheapened Vader's sacrifice in RotJ.
The Suncrusher was a pretty damned neat idea.
An indestructable super-ship the size of a fighter that can destroy entire solar systems. That's not "neat", it's bloody stupid - the superlaser required a ship the size of a small moon to transport and power it, and now you can do orders of magnitude more damage with technobabble? Bah.
New Rebellion, don't have much of an opinion on.
I do - it was boring shite.
Crystal Star introed Lusa and Waru was awesome.
More boring shite, with an idiotic concept of an alien to boot.
I don't mind minimalisim and really don't bother to count ships.
Not even when the capital of a Galaxy-spanning Empire is defended by two ships? When a bunch of freighters can take down a twelve-mile-long super battleship? When the lasers of a quarter-century-old second-rate fighter can punch through the shields of a Star Destroyer? When four ships are considered a threat to a Galaxy-spanning power?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Captain Seafort wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Paplatine as full-blown Sith Lord basically cutting loose.
Using powers so far beyond anthything previously seen in any format it was stupid, and the rediculous transfering-into-clones routine. Never mind the fact that bringing him back at all cheapened Vader's sacrifice in RotJ.
The Suncrusher was a pretty damned neat idea.
An indestructable super-ship the size of a fighter that can destroy entire solar systems. That's not "neat", it's bloody stupid - the superlaser required a ship the size of a small moon to transport and power it, and now you can do orders of magnitude more damage with technobabble? Bah.
New Rebellion, don't have much of an opinion on.
I do - it was boring shite.
Crystal Star introed Lusa and Waru was awesome.
More boring shite, with an idiotic concept of an alien to boot.
I don't mind minimalisim and really don't bother to count ships.
Not even when the capital of a Galaxy-spanning Empire is defended by two ships? When a bunch of freighters can take down a twelve-mile-long super battleship? When the lasers of a quarter-century-old second-rate fighter can punch through the shields of a Star Destroyer? When four ships are considered a threat to a Galaxy-spanning power?
And I liked it all. :D And I really don't give damn one what you think of it, to be blunt. Palps' powers were out there? No, he simply didn't have any real reason to cut loose in ROTJ. And the SUncrusher's not stupid. And do not insult Lusa. She's my second-favorite character and should have been one of the characters to build the franchise on until Troy 'I killed more younglings than Anakin Skywalker' Denning wrote SBS.

And... no, I don't mind minimalism. I don't count friggin' ships! I DON'T care! The Bantam books were enjoyable reads and made me happy.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Palps' powers were out there? No, he simply didn't have any real reason to cut loose in ROTJ.
What about in ROTS, when Yoda had him hanging off one of those Senate pods? You'd think the two most powerful force-users in the galaxy would have levelled the Senate Building if the novels are anything to go by.
And the SUncrusher's not stupid.
Exactly what is not stupid about it? Its completely out of place in the SW universe, and makes no sense at all. They go from needing a moon-sized station to blow up planets, to building invincible fighters that can blow up stars. You really don't see the problem in this?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:
Palps' powers were out there? No, he simply didn't have any real reason to cut loose in ROTJ.
What about in ROTS, when Yoda had him hanging off one of those Senate pods? You'd think the two most powerful force-users in the galaxy would have levelled the Senate Building if the novels are anything to go by.
And the SUncrusher's not stupid.
Exactly what is not stupid about it? Its completely out of place in the SW universe, and makes no sense at all. They go from needing a moon-sized station to blow up planets, to building invincible fighters that can blow up stars. You really don't see the problem in this?
He felt Yoda beneath him-literally. Conjecture is that clone-Palps was also leaning to the craziness.

And no, I don't see a problem with this. The Suncrusher's torps didn't just nuke the star. It was a chain-reaction. And quantum armor=neutronium. It was a 'tough little ship' to quote a certain commander. :lol:
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:And quantum armor=neutronium. It was a 'tough little ship' to quote a certain commander. :lol:
How does such a small ship build up any speed with such heavy armor then?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:And quantum armor=neutronium. It was a 'tough little ship' to quote a certain commander. :lol:
How does such a small ship build up any speed with such heavy armor then?
The armor was described as layer of molecules, IIRC. And SW has gravity tech.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The Suncrusher's torps didn't just nuke the star. It was a chain-reaction.
Irrelevant. The fact remains that it had the power to destroy a star. That power is completely out of place in the SW universe, despite its already impressive power levels.
And quantum armor=neutronium.
Uh, no it isn't. For one, a ship made of neutronium would implode under its own mass. Secondly, ISD hulls are already neutronium impregnated, and they have nowhere near the durability of the Suncrusher.