More Star Wars EU idiocy

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

More Star Wars EU idiocy

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I heard about the new EU book, Invincible, on another board from someone who has already read it. I thought I'd repost the major bits here so we can all point and laugh. Do note, however, that this is second-hand info, so I can't be 100% sure of how truthful it is. Though at this point nothing would surprise me.

Isolder gets killed by Jacen, and Jacen is killed by Jaina.

Jagged Fell becomes head of the Moff Council.

Jacen makes some sort of nano-virus that will kill anyone with Fett's genes, and releases it on Mandalore.

And, to top it all off, Daala is made Chief of State of the Galactic Alliance.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

WTF? The EU is really going downhill.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Wait Daala? Okay I haven't been following past the NJO series but isn't Admiral Daala like bad? :P Jagged Fel becoming head of the Moff Council makes sense because his descendent becomes Emperor and all. Jacen's got to eventually bite the dust since they made him go evil. That makes sense too. The nanovirus thing sounds like a typical evil super weapon, that makes sense. But Daala becoming head of the Galactic Alliance?

I suppose if the Imperials are active members of this alliance it works... maybe I lost touch with the EU.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: More Star Wars EU idiocy

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:Isolder gets killed by Jacen, and Jacen is killed by Jaina.
Pretty predictable, given how the series has been going.
Jagged Fell becomes head of the Moff Council.
Again, pretty predictable - foreshadowing his presumably becoming the Emperor Fel I mentioned in the Legacy comics.
Jacen makes some sort of nano-virus that will kill anyone with Fett's genes, and releases it on Mandalore.
:lol: BS your way out of that, Travissty.
And, to top it all off, Daala is made Chief of State of the Galactic Alliance.
:roll: Star Wars' answer to Janeway gets the same "fuck up and get promoted" treatment. Up till then the plot didn't seem to be going too badly, if predictably
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Well Daala isn't a terrible choice in theory. Someone like Palleon (if he was younger) would be perfect. Daala's got a lot of popularity in the Empire only problem was she was also willing to commit mass genocide so I can't see her being a positive choice from the New Republic. She did get some reforms in the Empire by improving women and alien rights. Both of which were important.

I think if they were going to be an Imperial she's one of the few viable choices.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

No. Not only no, but hell no. Corporal Daala has a track record of loosing every battle she's ever fought. Her idea of "diplomacy" is everyone else's idea of mass-murder. She's demonstrated a distain for administration and logistics. The only good decision I can recall her making was resigning as C-in-C and head of state, and appointing Pellaeon in her stead.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Unfortunately, Pellaeon is dead, as of now.

Daala's track record is just screw up after screw up after screw up. She lost the most powerful ship in the galaxy to a bunch of escaped prisoners. She then lost an ISD trying to stop them escaping. She then went on a campaign of random destruction with her remaining three ships, leaving the Maw Installation totaly undefended. What victories did she score during this period? One; blasting the undefended Dantooine colony to pieces. She lost the rest of her ships in completely moronic ways, and barely managed to limp back to Imperial space in her flagship.
After that she kills off the entire Imperial leadership and siezes control. She then loses an entire SSD and several other to a vastly inferior force that by all rights she should have crushed with contemptous ease.

And that's the last I read of her. From what I heard, she hasn't improved with time. Putting her in command is like making Janeway president of the UFP.
BS your way out of that, Travissty.
I wonder if this is a signal that all the other authors are just as fed up with the Mandowank as the fans. :lol:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:
BS your way out of that, Travissty.
I wonder if this is a signal that all the other authors are just as fed up with the Mandowank as the fans. :lol:
Hopefully. I'm still hoping for an off-the-cuff comment about the GAR's 3 million Army Groups. :)
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

The EU has been going downhill ever since NJO. Invincible is just the final nail in the post-ROTJ coffin.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Natasi *Name of a Bond girl and half the IQ!* Daala as CiS, Jaina killing her own twin brother...

It's sad, actually. It's just...

Goodbye, my old friend. I'll remember how you were and what you did to help me through my lowest part of my life. :( And I shall mourn what you became.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:The EU has been going downhill ever since NJO. Invincible is just the final nail in the post-ROTJ coffin.
The EU has been going downhill since the Thrawn trillogy. You occassionally get jems by such as Zahn, Luceno and Stover, but they're few and far between.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed. The EU died when Thrawn did.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:The EU has been going downhill ever since NJO. Invincible is just the final nail in the post-ROTJ coffin.
The EU has been going downhill since the Thrawn trillogy. You occassionally get jems by such as Zahn, Luceno and Stover, but they're few and far between.
Bull. The Bantam stuff was pretty damned good. High-adventure with the good guys actually winning and *GASP* learning from their mistakes, evolving.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Dark Empire's Wankatine, the Suncrusher, Corporal Daala, The New Rebellion, The Crystal Star, all the non-Yvetha bits of the BFC, the absurd minimalism in everything (even the otherwise good stuff). If that's your idea of good I shudder to think what would count as bad.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Captain Seafort wrote:Dark Empire's Wankatine, the Suncrusher, Corporal Daala, The New Rebellion, The Crystal Star, all the non-Yvetha bits of the BFC, the absurd minimalism in everything (even the otherwise good stuff). If that's your idea of good I shudder to think what would count as bad.
Dark Empire was part of *Dark Horse* not Bantam. Suncrusher was cool. Enough's been said about Daala. That's a collection of short stories, which not all of them good. No one thinks CS was good. No comment. Probably because 'minimalism' is easier to work with and write than maximism.

There were plenty off good novels in the Bantam Era. Unlike Del Rey which has been crap after crap after crap.