Spoileriffic Beyond review and discussion

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Spoileriffic Beyond review and discussion

Post by Coalition »

For the ship falling, I thought they activated the impulse engines to make the ship go to the edge and just over, rather than sending power to the Impulse engines the entire time.

It also nicely explained where the troops came from, the planet had an automated workforce, so Krall changed it to produce troops/ships. Instead of several different designs that complement each other, he only made one design and told the system to spam them.

It also means now that with access to the planet, the Federation can take that automated manufacturing system and use it to help support missions beyond the nebula. I.e. mining ships to harvest/clear out some of the rogue fragments in the nebula, or just guide them to make clear channels for ships to transit.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Spoileriffic Beyond review and discussion

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Atekimogus wrote:The fight with the swar-ships. Seriously? Why was the Enterprise so utterly ineffective? Heck..even in TOS the Enterprise could set phaser to blast......why is it a problem that torpedoes cannot track the movements of individual ships? Just fire it into the swarm and KABOOM.....it should clear out nicely. The swarships themselves are very inconsitent...either quite easily destroyed or totally undestructable using ramming tactics........ :roll:
One of the things that's always irritated me a bit about JJ-Trek is that the shields don't seem to deflect anything, ever. In the first movie bits of random debris scrape hull plates off. In Into Darkness they get shot up through the shields. In Beyond the ships can ram through the shields. There's never any hint that the shields do a damn thing in any movie that I recall.
The big window-screen on the bridge of the Enterprise appearently can be destroyed with a handphaser and people jumping through it.........that seems like a huge design-flaw to me. (And no...it wasn't because the saucer previously crashed....the screen is perfectly fine before he shoots it)
Hmm. Depends on how powerful you think hand phasers are, I guess. In TOS they claimed a Type 1 could take the side off a building. But then there were internal bulkheads that took a good long while to cut through with phasers.
The Franklin.....did I hear that correctly? They try to achieve escape velocity via letting it fall down a mountainside? :bangwall: This seems so indredible stupid I am sure I must have missed something here.....can anybody point out what the whole scene was about?
Not escape velocity, no. Terminal velocity.

Chekov : "Mr Sulu, we have to achieve terminal velocity in order for the stabilisers to provide lift. Are you sure this drop is high enough to do that?"

It's perfectly reasonable to drop a ship off a cliff and expect it to reach terminal velocity. And perfectly reasonable to wonder if the cliff is high enough to manage that before you hit bottom.

What's weird about it is that the stabilisers have to be falling at terminal velocity it actually work. I could imagine that ancient and partially functioning stabilisers might require free-fall to light up, but terminal velocity? That's got me beat.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...