Anton Yelchin (New Checkov) dead

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Anton Yelchin (New Checkov) dead

Post by McAvoy »

Pretty easy to do if you just say he got promoted. Say he got assigned to the USS Reliant.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Apart from the fact that the others are more senior than he is, at east historically speaking.
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'd probably just mention that he was transferred to another ship somewhere. A la Beverly Crusher in season 2 TNG.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Or that but since it seems this universe's timeframe for important events seems to be truncated, it is possible.

I also did not say he would be second in command just,said a throwaway line he would be on the Reliant which would be an Easter Egg.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

I was thinking maybe he could be on Cestus III, either on leave or temporarily re-assigned, when the Gorn attack.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

McAvoy wrote:Or that but since it seems this universe's timeframe for important events seems to be truncated, it is possible.

I also did not say he would be second in command just,said a throwaway line he would be on the Reliant which would be an Easter Egg.
I didn't suggest you did, however, being promoted seems a little fast, especially as he's the historically been the lowest ranked of the main crew. I've grant you that that has been because he joined late compared with the rest, and that that didn't happen this time. So perhaps, but, it still seems odd that he be the first of them to be promoted when the rest will be ignored for a good while (if the films are to continue with the current crew anyway, which seems very likely).
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Varthikes wrote:I was thinking maybe he could be on Cestus III, either on leave or temporarily re-assigned, when the Gorn attack.
There's any number of ways he could be killed, sure. But, I'm not overly keen to keep seeing them refer back to TOS episodes without showing anything of them. I'm not saying they should show things, but, you don't want to overuse the mechanism. Especially for something like killing off a 'main' character.

I think I'm becoming of the opinion that his expertise could be better used elsewhere so he was transferred somewhere important. Perhaps even the Daystrom Institute, he is after all talked of as a wunderkind.
email, ergo spam
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

IanKennedy wrote:I didn't suggest you did, however, being promoted seems a little fast
It's positively sluggish by Kirk's standard of going from unemployed drunk to commanding the Enterprise in three years
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

You gotta love the JJ Starfleet's policy of "I'm going away now, I need to leave somebody in charge! Eenie, meenie, mineie, moe... you're the Captain now!"
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote:
McAvoy wrote:Or that but since it seems this universe's timeframe for important events seems to be truncated, it is possible.

I didn't suggest you did, however, being promoted seems a little fast, especially as he's the historically been the lowest ranked of the main crew. I've grant you that that has been because he joined late compared with the rest, and that that didn't happen this time. So perhaps, but, it still seems odd that he be the first of them to be promoted when the rest will be ignored for a good while (if the films are to continue with the current crew anyway, which seems very likely).
You don't have to get promoted to be assigned to a new ship. Sometimes they just send you there because of manning issues.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
IanKennedy wrote:I didn't suggest you did, however, being promoted seems a little fast
It's positively sluggish by Kirk's standard of going from unemployed drunk to commanding the Enterprise in three years
Yes, but they're not going to start sending the rest of the cast off any time soon. (likely not anyway). So that leaves you wondering why Chekhov, the most junior of them all?
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

The guy was a whiz with transporters. Say he's off at the Daystrom Institute helping refine them or something.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Because he is junior, easier to replace with another fresh face officer.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

In real world Navies people transfer around all the time. Typically you'll only remain in a given post for a couple of years then move elsewhere. I'd find it completely believable that Chekov would go off to do some other job on a starbase or another ship somewhere. Hell, the unbelievable part would be that everybody else was still there!

Trek seems very different in that respect. In fact in Trek, officers in general seem to be incredibly unambitious. They stay in the same job for years on end, and the same rank often for decades. Real world militaries just don't work that way. IIRC, if you don't win promotion in the US after a few years at any given rank, you have to resign.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:In real world Navies people transfer around all the time. Typically you'll only remain in a given post for a couple of years then move elsewhere. I'd find it completely believable that Chekov would go off to do some other job on a starbase or another ship somewhere. Hell, the unbelievable part would be that everybody else was still there!

Trek seems very different in that respect. In fact in Trek, officers in general seem to be incredibly unambitious. They stay in the same job for years on end, and the same rank often for decades. Real world militaries just don't work that way. IIRC, if you don't win promotion in the US after a few years at any given rank, you have to resign.
As you say, Trek does work that way...
email, ergo spam