'Star Trek Beyond' Trailer Snags Spot in Star Wars 7

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

'Star Trek Beyond' Trailer Snags Spot in Star Wars 7

Post by Nutso »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/s ... ags-846258
The battle to secure trailer time intensifies as 'Star Wars' prepares to open everywhere in North America on Dec. 18.

May the force be with rival Hollywood studios trying to get their trailers placed before Disney and Lucasfilm's Star Wars: The Force Awakens, from director J.J. Abrams.

One studio already prevailing is Paramount, which will unveil a promo for Star Trek Beyond tied to Force Awakens, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. The Star Wars reboot launches in select theaters on the evening of Dec. 17 before opening everywhere in North America on Dec. 18.

It's no surprise that the latest installment in the Star Trek series would get favored treatment. Abrams, whose Bad Robot production company is based at Paramount, produced Star Trek Beyond after directing the first two films in the revitalized franchise, Star Trek (2009) and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013).

Abrams gave up directing duties on Star Trek Beyond to helm Star Wars: Force Awakens for Lucasfilm and Disney.

Star Trek Beyond doesn't open in theaters until July 22, but there couldn't be a better berth to showcase the film than Force Awakens.

Other 2016 tentpoles likely to secure trailer placement include Warner Bros.' Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 25), Universal's The Huntsman's Winter War (April 22), X-Men: Apocalypse (May 27) and Independence Day: Resurgence (June 24). The latter two are both from Fox.

And that doesn't include potential promos from Disney, whether The Jungle Book (April 15), Captain America: Civil War (May 6) or Finding Dory (June 17).
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 'Star Trek Beyond' Trailer Snags Spot in Star Wars 7

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well, now I have a reason to go see The Force Awakens.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

You didn't already have one?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Well, now I have a reason to go see The Force Awakens.
You really weren't going to see Star Wars 7?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'm not much of a Star Wars fan - ever notice how rarely I post anything in the SW forum? I've asked Ian if he wants to see it and he's not too bothered either. We'll likely catch it at some point, but it's not one we're bouncing up and down waiting for.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I seem to recall a certain fanfic that involved quite a lot of Star Wars.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Which I wrote like 15 or 20 years ago!
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Nutso wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:Well, now I have a reason to go see The Force Awakens.
You really weren't going to see Star Wars 7?
The first three were OK when I was 12, the second three were awful (in production order). The last three are Disney, which doesn't bode well for them improving age relevant interest and I'm no longer 12.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I am interested in watching it. But I have a bad temper and don't like bullshit which is what I will find in Star Wars movie. Like kids and teenagers talking and fooling around. Damn kids.

Sad thing I am serious which I'd why I watch movies usually a month after I they are out.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I've had American friends tell me that terrible behaviour is very common in most US cinemas, people talking, using phones, yelling at the screen, etc. I've experienced a few things like that in UK cinemas, but really only half a dozen or so out of hundreds of movies.

My all time favourite was when Ian and I watched the first Hobbit movie. We're sitting at the end of a row and a little kid starts running laps aorund the cinema, right past us. Must have been maybe six or eight years old. He wasn't making noise or anything, just quietly running down the aisle past us to the front, across the front row, back up the other aisle, across the back, and then round again. All very innocent, just a little kid burning off some energy... but distracting as all hell. He did it three or four times, and I'm sitting there wondering where his parents are, and whether anybody is going to complain to the manager or anything...

...and suddenly, as he reached our chairs again, Ian leans over and yells "WILL YOU SIT THE FUCK DOWN!!!"

It worked, too! :happydevil:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I wouldn't say it's common as such, and most of us Yanks would frown at cursing at a six-year-old...

That said, I worry about taking my six-year-old. I'd certainly not let him run around the theater, and at any rate he's too interested in Star Wars to do so; but he sometimes forgets to regulate the volume of his voice, as many six-year-olds do (especially when doing something as exciting as seeing a Star Wars movie.) That said, we've been to movies before and managed to view them without marring any other audience member's experience.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Kids don't bother me as much as the young teenagers. Specifically the girls, the talking, the giggling, using the cell phone, talking to the screen. Boys don't do that from what I have seen.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So I went to see it today, and no Star Trek Beyond trailer! Grrrrr.

Film was okay, though. Reminded me a lot of what he did with the Trek movies actually.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote:I seem to recall a certain fanfic that involved quite a lot of Star Wars.
Graham Kennedy wrote:Which I wrote like 15 or 20 years ago!
*Ahem* :P
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

What?