Trek XIII general news and rumours

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Trek XIII general news and rumours

Post by Atekimogus »

:twisted:
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Star Trek Beyond has started filming.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

They need to film Vasquez Rocks...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Star Trek 3' Stars Score Big Raises as Kirk and Spock Sign for Fourth Movie (Exclusive)
Sources say Chris Pine has scored about $6 million as he and Zachary Quinto have granted an option for a fourth installment of the rebooted franchise as Paramount renegotiated their deals.

The third installment of the rebooted Star Trek franchise boldly heads into production this week in Vancouver, and its cast is getting a big pay raise. At the same time, the studio behind Star Trek Beyond quietly has locked up two key players for a potential fourth installment.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Paramount and producer-financier Skydance Entertainment recently completed last-minute renegotiations with the Star Trek stars, a move that has added as much as $10 million to $15 million to the budget. The project’s slow development process may have been partly to blame, as well as the rising star power of the actors, especially Chris Pine and Zoe Saldana.

When the original cast — Pine, Saldana, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, Anton Yelchin and John Cho — signed on for the movie that re-launched the franchise in 2009, they did so with options for two sequels. Despite the fact that studios often will give stars big new deals in case of success, no re-negotiations took place for 2013’s Star Trek Into Darkness. Instead, the Trek cast is said to have received only the nominal raises built into their original contracts. According to sources, Paramount argued that the J.J. Abrams-directed 2009 movie, while well-received, was not a huge blockbuster, grossing $385.7 million (a relative pittance compared to Paramount’s billion-dollar Transformers series or even its Mission: Impossible movies).

After Into Darkness grossed $467 million, Paramount was ready to jump back in for a third movie. But Star Trek 3 ran into delays in the development process: Roberto Orci spent the better part of 2014 writing the script (he also was slated to direct) only to have execs then decide to scrap it and part ways with the filmmaker. In January, Pegg and Dark Blue co-creator Doug Jung were brought in to write a new script. With Fast & Furious franchise director Justin Lin — seen as a get — on board to direct, things were looking like they were back on track.

That's when the actors' deals became an issue.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Idris Elba: It's Cool to be a Trekkie
Idris Elba was a Trekkie growing up.

The term means an avid Star Trek fan, with the hit 60s franchise enjoying a popularity surge in recent years thanks to the big-screen versions starring Chris Pine.

Idris has started work on the third film, Star Trek Beyond, which reunites stars Chris, Simon Pegg and Zachary Quinto. The Luther actor will be playing a villain and is loving his time on set.

"Almost everyone was a Trekkie, really, weren't they? I wouldn't say I was a hardcore one but I definitely watched that show a million times," Idris told British newspaper Metro.

"Spock was probably my favourite character - and in this one I have some scenes with Zachary Quinto [who plays Spock]."

Since bursting on to the scene in US show The Wire, Idris has had a varied career. He has seven new projects currently in production, including voicing Tiger Shere Khan in Jon Favreau's Jungle Book.

He recently joked to Radio Times that the only time he's planning on slowing down is when he dies.

"I think for the last five years my career has really intensified and I'm a career person, so I'm going to ride that wave - and then I'll slow down because my body will tell me to relax a bit more," he said.

"But there are loads of roles I'd like to play - as an actor I'm still growing. As long as I have an audience that enjoys watching me, I'll keep on doing it. I'm never going to stop acting, I love it too much. I just want to keep the variety there."
Stan - South Park
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I wonder if he likes what he does?
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Minoir update:

Dubai Confirms STAR TREK BEYOND Filming
'STAR TREK' TO BE FILMED IN DUBAI
The next installment of the 'Star Trek' franchise will
film scenes in Dubai in October this year

Dubai, UAE:

The Dubai Film and TV Commission (DFTC) has announced that the third installment of globally renowned sci-fi franchise, 'Star Trek', directed by Justin Lin, will film scenes in Dubai. Filming of the project is planned to commence in October this year, and the film is set for release in the United States and the UAE in July 2016.

The filming of this global phenomenon in Dubai is another testament to the emirate and the UAE’s status as a leading international production hub and will provide a major boost to the filming and tourism industries in Dubai. A number of entities, including DFTC, the Dubai Media Office, Dubai Tourism and Commerce and Marketing (DTCM), and the Dubai International Film Festival (DIFF) will work closely together to provide all of the necessary support to facilitate the filming, and to ensure a seamless and enjoyable shooting experience. Dubai Studio City will provide technical support for parts of the film, and location owners will be closely involved in supporting the shooting across various locations.

Commenting, Jamal Al Sharif, Chairman of Dubai Film and TV Commission and Managing Director of Dubai Studio City said;

“We are delighted that Dubai has been selected for the filming of this international blockbuster production, particularly to mark their 50th anniversary, and we look forward to welcoming the 'Star Trek' team. Not only will this shine the spotlight on Dubai and the UAE’s excellent locations, infrastructure and flexibility, but it will significantly boost the UAE’s economy, tourism and entertainment sectors.

Bringing international productions to Dubai helps to facilitate the development of a sustainable local film industry, and adds to the city’s already flourishing economy and cultural life. The shooting of this film in the emirate is a real testament to Dubai and the UAE’s development into a hub for film and production, and Paramount Pictures joins the growing interest from regional and international filmmakers who are recognising the emirate as an established filming destination. This production will also provide a great opportunity for local talent to acquire new skills, and gain first-hand insight into the techniques and processes required for a film of this size.”

Issam Kazim, CEO of Dubai Corporation for Tourism and Commerce Marketing, said:

“TV and film is an incredibly powerful platform through which we can showcase the many tourism facets of Dubai and being associated with a movie of this caliber is a great opportunity for us to reach millions of people across the globe.

The city’s world-renowned architecture, diverse landscapes and attractions are proving increasingly attractive to filmmakers and we are seeing Dubai gain a reputation as a world-class filming location. In turn, these factors are portrayed to viewers across the globe, raising awareness and reinforcing Dubai’s reputation as a world-class tourist destination.”
I thought they were going to shoot in Seoul, Korea but, I supposed Dubai has advantages with its taxes and cheap labor.
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Entered. :D
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Me too. Worth a shot, right.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Simon Pegg: “Memory Alpha Has Been So Helpful” During STAR TREK BEYOND Writing Process
Pegg also revealed that he's spent a lot of time referencing Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wikia site serving as this century's online equivalent of the Star Trek Encyclopedia.

"I've got to say the Star Trek Wikipedia, Memory Alpha, which is online, has been so helpful. If you need to know what's inside of a photon torpedo, there it is online, because there are so many dedicated fans out there who have such a vast knowledge of the universe and the minutia of it."

Memory Alpha has long been a primary reference tool of Star Trek novel authors, fan researchers, and even TrekCore's own editorial team -- and it's good to know the site's usefulness is being utilized for STAR TREK BEYOND.
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

*grumble grumble grumble DITL grumble grumble*
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Maybe you should send him an email on the subject Graham? :wink:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

:D
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

God imagine the huge traffic spike if the site was referenced in regards to this movie.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.