Trek XIII general news and rumours

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Trek XIII general news and rumours

Post by Nutso »

Simon Pegg Reveals Details About Writing Star Trek 3
(PCM) Our colleague Taylor Salan of AgeOfTheNerd.com recently attended the press day for the upcoming film “Kill Me Three Times” and had some time to chat with actor Simon Pegg about the writing process for the upcoming “Star Trek 3″,as well as, exclusive details about “Kill Me Three Times”.

At the press day for Kill Me Three Times we had the pleasure of speaking to Simon Pegg about the film. While we will run the full interview closer to the film’s release date of April 10th, Pegg did offer some insight into the process of writing “Star Trek 3″ (As well as shooting “Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation”). During our chat, Pegg spoke briefly about how he ended up joining the project as writer, the intense pressure that he feels to make Star Trek fans happy with the newest installment, as well as what direction the new film will head.

Here’s how he joined “Star Trek 3″ creative team to begin with:

Well, I don’t want to talk about it too much because we are here for this one [Kill Me Three Times] obviously, but I yeah. It was just kind of conversations I was having between J.J. and Bryan Burke and they decided to kind of restart the process. And because I had been on set with Burke [For MI5], he said “maybe you should come on and write it with Doug [Jung], and Justin [Lin], and him, and Lindsey Webber”.

When talking about the pressure that he felt to say yes to writing “Star Trek 3″, Pegg commented:

I kind of, I felt like—no, I don’t want to, it’s too much pressure—but we just want to take it forward with the spirit of the T.V. show.

Finally, Pegg commented on the direction that the story of “Star Trek 3″ might take:

You know, it’s a story about frontiersm, and adventure, and optimism, and fun. That’s where we want to take it. You know where no man has gone before—where no one has gone before—ostensibly corrected, for a slightly more enlightened generation. But yeah, that’s the mood at the moment.

It has already been announced that “Star Trek 3″ will hit theaters a few months before the property’s 50th anniversary, and all signs seem to lead the third entry back towards creator Gene Roddenberry’s original vision even more than ever. While Pegg obviously can’t give plot specifics this early on, it did seem evident that Pegg was very excited about the challenge of making a movie that truly represents what the franchise is about. I honestly think that Simon Pegg is a great screenwriter, and that his increased creative presence in the franchise can never be a bad thing. ‘Star Trek 3″ hits theaters on July 8, 2016.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Idris Elba In Talks To Play Star Trek 3 Villain

http://whatculture.com/film/idris-elba- ... illain.php
The Star Trek movies are only as good as their villains and after the last entry used the franchise’s best in Khan, the question of where the saga turns to next has fascinated every fan since Star Trek Into Darkness’ release two years ago.

Now Variety doesn’t quite have the answer to what character we can expect to see troubling the Enterprise this time around, but they do know which Hollywood A-lister is likely to play him.

Luther and Thor actor Idris Elba is reportedly in early talks to take the lead villain role in the still untitled Star Trek 3.

As you can probably expect from the J.J. Abrams team, details of exactly which character from Star Trek lore (or whether it’ll be someone new) Elba would be portraying is being kept tightly under wraps.

Certainly Into Darkness heavily hinted towards a pending Klingon vs Federation war and the casting of someone the size and stature of Elba could lend itself to that scenario.

Star Trek 3 will once again feature Chris Pine (as Kirk), Zachary Quinto (as Spock), Karl Urban (as Bones), Zoe Saldana (as Uhura), Simon Pegg (as Scotty) and Anton Yelchin (as Chekov) on another voyage of discovery in the U.S.S. Enterprise.

J.J. Abrams, who rebooted the saga by producing and directing the last two movies, has this time stepped aside from the director’s chair in favour of helming the forthcoming Star Wars Episode VII. Fast And Furious’ Justin Lin is instead behind the camera, working on a script by Doug Jung and Simon Pegg.

Paramount are set to release Star Trek 3 on July 8th, 2016… a date which coincides with the 50th Anniversary of the Trek franchise.
Stan - South Park
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I wonder what an Abrams Bird of Prey would look like...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Idris Alba as a 'Trek villain? Mikey likey.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

OK call me intrigued.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Just a rumour, but a possible title for the movie :

Source
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Simon Pegg Discusses The Third STAR TREK Movie, Idris Elba, And More!!
“We can certainly invest in it the spirit of the show, and get back to the essence of what it is. What we’re hoping to do is make a STAR TREK for today - that doesn’t forget where it came from... This is ‘the Five Year Mission’ now. We’re out there. We don’t always have to keep bumping into the same people. It’s a massive universe... So we’re going to try and reflect that in the movie.”
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

That is almost as heartening as the inclusion of Iris Elba.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

"Beyond"? Beyond what? The great barrier? Iris Elba is... Sybok.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'd say it means beyond known space.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Very heartening news indeed. Let's see what's out there! :)
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Simon Pegg Says Original Star Trek 3 Script Was "Too Star Trek-y" :?
By Chris Tilly

Simon Pegg has been talking about his work behind-the-scenes on the forthcoming Star Trek movie, explaining that his script-writing duty was to make the sequel “more inclusive.”

Pegg has co-written the movie with Doug Jung, but Roberto Orci, Patrick McKay and John D. Payne have all previously had stabs at the third film in the franchise.

“They had a script for Star Trek that wasn’t really working for them,” the actor told magazine Radio Times (via The Guardian). “I think the studio was worried that it might have been a little too Star Trek-y.

“Avengers Assemble, which is a pretty nerdy, comic-book, supposedly niche thing, made $1.5bn. Star Trek: Into Darkness made half a billion, which is still brilliant. But it means that, according to the studio, there’s still $1bn worth of box office that don’t go and see Star Trek. And they want to know why.”

He further explained “People don’t see it being a fun, brightly coloured, Saturday night entertainment like the Avengers,” adding that the solution was to “make a Western or a thriller or a heist movie, then populate that with Star Trek characters so it’s more inclusive to an audience that might be a little bit reticent.”

In the same interview – which is on news stands now – Pegg also talks about the dumbing down of modern culture, threatening to “retire from geekdom” and bemoaning the fact that society is taking superheroes and comic books so seriously.

“Before Star Wars, the films that were box office hits were The Godfather, Taxi Driver, Bonnie and Clyde, The French Connection – gritty, amoral art movies” he claimed. “Then suddenly the onus switched over to spectacle and everything changed… I don’t know if that’s a good thing.”
Stan - South Park
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

:? How the hell can Star Trek be TOO Star Treky?

If I'm watching Star Trek that's a pretty good indication that I actually want to watch Star Trek
Bite my shiny metal ass
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Griffin wrote::? How the hell can Star Trek be TOO Star Treky?

If I'm watching Star Trek that's a pretty good indication that I actually want to watch Star Trek
Oh damn. I watch Star Trek to watch Home Improvement. I have been wrong this entire time?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Griffin wrote::? How the hell can Star Trek be TOO Star Treky?

Movies like this can't exist on just the fans who would normally go out to watch Star Trek, though. Films need ten times the audience that the average Trek TV show gets - they have to appeal far beyond fandom to get that. To be financially successful they have to get at least some of the crowd who would go see Transformers, Fast and Furious, Star Wars, etc.