Trek XIII general news and rumours

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Trek XIII general news and rumours

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Atekimogus wrote:
Now maybe it is just a bad trailer concentrating only on the action scenes.....but by god would it be too much to ask to not have people running away from explosions for once and just add some interesting dialogue? Heck...in the end I am sure a movie like "Captain America: Civil War" will end up having more dialogue and character interaction than a freaking STAR TREK movie.
Did you miss the select quotes/scenes that seem to indicate Kirk questioning his own reasons for being there, as well as some much needed introspection? ("My father joined Starfleet because he believed in it. I joined on a dare."). I'm hopeful this film will start re-setting the balance of introspection/action that the last one fumbled. In fact, this may be closer to a TOS episode than a movie the mors I think about it.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Sonic Glitch wrote: Did you miss the select quotes/scenes that seem to indicate Kirk questioning his own reasons for being there, as well as some much needed introspection? ("My father joined Starfleet because he believed in it. I joined on a dare."). I'm hopeful this film will start re-setting the balance of introspection/action that the last one fumbled. In fact, this may be closer to a TOS episode than a movie the mors I think about it.
Yes...I did miss it since it was the standard trailer narrative we already had in star trek 2009 for example ("Your father was captain of a starship for 12 minutes and saved yada yada lives...I dare you to do better).

It is not really an indication of having more character building scenes or better diaologe. It is just the usual stuff that is supposed to sound meaningful for the trailer. If it actually will be remains to be seen.

Idk...maybe it is because I am getting old but I find myself supremely bored by action heavy movies as of late.

I really liked the 2009 movie....but the second one.....while enjoyable...was imho ultimately not very interesting and 5 years from now it will be completely forgotten. And the same will happen here I think. It will be quite enjoyable and maybe even worth a cinema ticket....but it won't be anything outstanding.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I dunno, it's hard to tell from the trailers but there seems to be a fair bit of introspection/character stuff here. Lighthearted, with McCoy's "At least I won't die alone...", and the "he really likes that chair" but also more serious, with the woman in voiceover talking about how dangerous space can be, and with Kirk apparently introspecting about whether he really even should be in Starfleet. It looks pretty promising to me.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

New poster

Colourful!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Very colorful! And that new character's front-and-center.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Clear reference to TMP here :

Interestingly, no taglines on any of these posters.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

It has freaking lens flares in that poster!
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Karl Urban's poster:
Let's try that again !@StarTrekMovie , full cast for 50th anniversary @ParamountPics @ParamountUK #bestfanposter

https://twitter.com/KarlUrban/status/735272858239176705
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Those look like the Cardasian planetary defence platforms from DS9.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

This one is a mild spoiler for the actual movie, I think, but has broad ramifications. Rumour has it...
In Beyond, Sulu is going to be depicted as gay, and in a relationship with another man.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I read something to that effect myself. Simple irony, or an homage?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Homage I believe, but
Takei himself
doesn't seem to approve Link
Bite my shiny metal ass
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

If it was intended as a compliment, you would think they'd have taken five minutes to give the guy a call and ask about it first.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Graham Kennedy wrote:If it was intended as a compliment, you would think they'd have taken five minutes to give the guy a call and ask about it first.
They did. The selected the move as a homage to Takei, they then called him up expecting him to be overjoyed.

Instead Takei has proven to be quite loyal to Gene's vision. Apparently a lot of thought went into the character that Takei was aware of, and Sulu wasn't gay. Takei really liked the idea of a gay Starfleet officer, he just wanted them to make a new character for that.

Also, if you consider that this isn't taking place in a different dimension but only a different timeline, the concept that Sulu is the same person in both series. Being gay in Beyond then implies he was in the closet during TOS, which doesn't sit well with Takei.

( Though as YATI go, especially if we ignore not strictly cannon sources, that one would be relatively easy to rationalize around. )

Anyway it sounds like they had a number of conversations with Takei always pressuring them to make a new character, but in the end his wishes weren't honored in the matter of his own homage.