Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

"Trek 3 Will Boldly Return To Classic TV Style"

Post by Nutso »

http://io9.com/director-bob-orci-says-t ... 029898/all
Director Bob Orci Says Trek 3 Will Boldly Return To Classic TV Style

This is a good sign. Roberto Orci, recently confirmed director of Star Trek 3, spoke about the upcoming movie in the Geoff Boucher-hosted podcast Humans From Earth, and his comments should reassure anyone who felt the first two Trek movies were lacking a certain... Trek-ness.

Here's how he described the movies:

In [Into Darkness] they set out finally where the original series started. The first two films – especially the 2009 [Star Trek] – was an origin story. It was about them coming together. So they weren't the characters they were in the original series. They were growing into them and that continues on in the second movie. So in this movie they are closer than they are to the original series characters that you have ever seen. They have set off on their five-year mission. So their adventure is going to be in deep space.

Orci also joked that the Horta would be the villain, which I would actually find completely acceptable, mainly because I'm still a little worried that the third nu-Trek movie will feature space whales, since they're the next most familiar Trek plot mass audiences are familiar with. The Horta, the Gorn, Mugatu... I'm down with any of those guys. Just not space whales, okay?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: "Trek 3 Will Boldly Return To Classic TV Style"

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Hmmm. Whilst there's certainly a worry that movie-Trek has turned into just another sci-fi action movie, that seems to be what the box office likes. It would be a shame if they produced a movie that was worthy and pleasing to fans... and which tanked at the box office.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Maybe adapt the Doomsday Machine into a movie.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

McAvoy wrote:Maybe adapt the Doomsday Machine into a movie.
I second this!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Hmm, so far we've had the Ent face off against giant ships in two films running. Do we really want a third?

I'd go for something far more Balance of Terror, maybe The Enterprise Incident, maybe A Private Little War.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Graham Kennedy wrote:I'd go for something far more Balance of Terror
Heartily seconded. It allows them to get the inevitable explosions in without the frenetic pace the last two have suffered from.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Hmm, so far we've had the Ent face off against giant ships in two films running. Do we really want a third?

I'd go for something far more Balance of Terror, maybe The Enterprise Incident, maybe A Private Little War.
Thirded. Some coincidence we were talking about Submarine movies a few days ago. Balance of Terror was that.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park