Future events in the Abrahms timeline?

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
dagadget
Senior chief petty officer

Future events in the Abrahms timeline?

Post by dagadget »

The future of the Abrams timeline is going to be interesting. What will happen when Vger shows up? The Abrams ship's shield technology is sadly lacking and the Enterprise or whatever ship checks out Vger will be destroyed. If that is survived what of the Whale Probe? Some events started to happen before the reboot started by Nero occurred. Vger and the Whale probe come to mind. It will be interesting to see what does happen if the Reboot timeline continues. Many ideas are plausible lets start debating what might occur in the future........ Old Spock in the past might have an impact in restoring the original timeline to some extent.........
Jim
Captain
Captain

Re: Future events in the Abrahms timeline?

Post by Jim »

That is one reason that I do not like what Spock said about not telling people of the future. Vger, the Whale Probe, Dominion, and naturally the Borg are all things that Spock should have brought up on day 1. Anything short of that shows Spock's actions to be as stupid and misguided as Nero's.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

The Borg should already be alerted to the existence of Humanity, and the future "threat" they pose to the Collective, as the future Sphere should already have attempted to halt first contact with the Vulcans, and the Enterprise episode with the Arctic drones would also have occurred (didn't see too much of Enterprise, so I don't know the full details).

I can't see any plausible reason for future Spock to be concerned with altering the timeline. For one, we can already see the differences in technology, ship design, etc, that show the timeline is different. Spock should also be aware of these after a few minutes of computer access, or a visit to a ship.

Assuming that he manages to miss that, or that we ignore the major differences, then the timeline is already altered anyway. In his time, Vulcan was an influential member of the Federation, not a collection of dust and rocks. And Nero's and his arrival in this continuum has already altered this timeline significantly. It would be far more logical, in my opinion, to alert Starfleet and the Federation Council (no need for the Federation as a whole, but at least the decision makers) to the future threats they face, so they may be better prepared to face them.

Starfleet could still maintain it's primary mission of exploration and peaceful cooperation, but divert sufficient resources into dealing with the future threats that they know are coming. They wouldn't be able to just build a massive armada and standby waiting for the inevitable, because that would likely lead to an arms race with the Klingons, Romulans, et al. But there are still many ways they could improve their abilities in the event of a future Borg incursion, Dominion War, or other event.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Black Jesus »

Dr. Sevrin is still building his movement of technological renunciation and the search for Eden.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The Borg he should definatly warm against.

Dominion... just tell them to leave the wormhole alone.

Probes... no way to stop them but he knows how to deal with them.

The only reason I can think of for not warning about them is, humanity survived the first time it happened, and if he warns them, they wll drastically ramp up the military ect, destruoying the Federation he loves... kinda stupid.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I think the hardest thing for Spock is the timeline is practically 100% changed over his own. It would be hard to say what will happen in this timeline. Maybe the Borg do come earlier than he can predict making Starfleet less prepared or even more prepared if they know about them before hand.

He should at least warn Young Spock a group of air-head female aliens are going to steal his brain and make for a shitty episode.

I wonder how much Spock personally knows about future 24th century tech? He can't be a walking/talking encyclopedia... wtf am I saying he IS Spock. The original walking/talking encyclopedia.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

He could help with what he knows, and what he doesnt know he can just say what he does know, and tell them waht area they should focus on, saving them time studying useless areas they otherwise might have followed.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
dagadget

Post by dagadget »

Teaos wrote:He could help with what he knows, and what he doesnt know he can just say what he does know, and tell them waht area they should focus on, saving them time studying useless areas they otherwise might have followed.

I think like in Into Darkness Spock will pass along what he knows when the time is right. I suspect he said more than was shown in that movie. Anyway time will tell as it always does.
dagadget

Post by dagadget »

Jim wrote:That is one reason that I do not like what Spock said about not telling people of the future. Vger, the Whale Probe, Dominion, and naturally the Borg are all things that Spock should have brought up on day 1. Anything short of that shows Spock's actions to be as stupid and misguided as Nero's.

I think Spock will give up the information as soon as he thinks it is logical to do so. It would also be logical for Spock to stop the Supernova 150 years before it happens to restoring the timeline to a somewhat different version and starting everything all over again.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

The timeline is already VERY different to the one that he came from. It would not be possible to "restart" it at all. The ships and tech and direction of Starfleet is already too different from his line.
dagadget

Post by dagadget »

Jim wrote:The timeline is already VERY different to the one that he came from. It would not be possible to "restart" it at all. The ships and tech and direction of Starfleet is already too different from his line.

Very true but being a logical Vulcan wouldn't Spock want to save Vulcan from Nero? Changing the time line again to save 6 Billion Vulcans would change the timeline again but would save the Vulcans a lot of misery. As Nero changed it once Spock could change it again more towards the original but still with many changes again. He after all does know how to do the job.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

I dunno, fucking about with the timeline even more doesn't seem like the safest thing to do
Bite my shiny metal ass
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Depends on your version of timelines. Stopping the nova won't save Vulcan as it is already destroyed... in the timeline that Spock is now living in. Unless you are of the "Back to the Future" mind set in which you can see your own arm vanish because your parents might not hook up.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Jim wrote:Depends on your version of timelines. Stopping the nova won't save Vulcan as it is already destroyed... in the timeline that Spock is now living in. Unless you are of the "Back to the Future" mind set in which you can see your own arm vanish because your parents might not hook up.
Exactly. The time travel used in the new Trek films is based on modern understanding of alternate universes and time travel. You can't "fix the timeline" or "reset the timeline"; all you would do is spawn yet another alternate universe. Frankly, I'm glad they went with that approach; Trek time travel was always asinine.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I honestly think that time traveling that happened in the movie may have done more than just time travel. Maybe it screwed up the whole reality to alter many things beyond just a time line.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"