What next?

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: What next?

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:Doomsday machine.
I love it. That is exactly what they should go for, if they have to go back to the well. Considering that they have faster warp drives, they could run into it well before it enters Federation space; maybe it's carving up Tholian space, and the Tholians attack, thinking it's a Federation plot.

Or something to get the damn Tholians into a movie.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Personally, I wish they would stop remaking stuff and get an imagination of their own. It's cute once or twice but it will start to wear thin.
email, ergo spam
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Tsukiyumi wrote:I love it. That is exactly what they should go for, if they have to go back to the well. Considering that they have faster warp drives, they could run into it well before it enters Federation space; maybe it's carving up Tholian space, and the Tholians attack, thinking it's a Federation plot.

I was just thinking this morning that the Tholians really should be in a movie soon.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:I love it. That is exactly what they should go for, if they have to go back to the well. Considering that they have faster warp drives, they could run into it well before it enters Federation space; maybe it's carving up Tholian space, and the Tholians attack, thinking it's a Federation plot.

I was just thinking this morning that the Tholians really should be in a movie soon.
We have the technology...
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:

We have the technology...
Enterprise did a decent rendition of one. I imagine a Tholian will remain the same just because it is truly alien.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

IanKennedy wrote:Personally, I wish they would stop remaking stuff and get an imagination of their own. It's cute once or twice but it will start to wear thin.
That right there. They need to go off on their own and do something new with this crew. Personally I'm hoping with a more cerebral, less action oriented movie.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

But cerebral HOW? I, for one, don't care for the idea of them finding a quantum subspace inversion fissure and having to... stop it, close it, whatever. We've seen how well that goes.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

That's not cerebral, that's technobabble.

Have an actual dilemma. Not one with a black and white perspective but shades of gray. Don't have a villain. Have an adventure that really taxes the crew because of it's nature rather than just being secretive.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Tyyr wrote:
IanKennedy wrote:Personally, I wish they would stop remaking stuff and get an imagination of their own. It's cute once or twice but it will start to wear thin.
That right there. They need to go off on their own and do something new with this crew. Personally I'm hoping with a more cerebral, less action oriented movie.
Sounds good, when can we have it?
email, ergo spam
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

When Federation society is deemed to be a true utopia it's difficult to come up with an issue that's really, deeply cerebral. Section 31 or at least the concept of a clandestine agency being the safeguard of the federation always struck me as an opportunity really badly wasted because Sloan and similar characters in DS9 came across as overstated caricatures.

Could that idea be explored upon?
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Section 31, to me, was an abomination that should never have been introduced.
email, ergo spam
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Perhaps true, it did seem to be a cultural antithesis to what the UFP had been throughout trek. I guess I just struggle to find something that could be made into a cerebral plot off the top of my head.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

There have been plenty of such plots in Trek history. Often they've been fucked up or come up against something like the Prime Directive but Trek has done it before. Hell, Dear Doctor could have been a great episode if they'd done something with it.

Ok, first draft:

Hmm, ok. In TOS Kirk played fast and loose with the Prime Directive or the PD was seen as a guideline instead of religious dogma like in TNG+. So lets think about that. The PD does seem more akin to dogma in NeoTrek. Kirk got his ass chewed out for helping those natives even though their destruction would be through no fault of their own. What if we have a situation something not anyone's fault. Species 1 is the dominant species on a planet. They're smarter, tougher, more advanced, and seem like decent people. Species 2 is the Neandethal to their Homo Sapiens, the Menk to their Valakians if you will. Species 1 is dying from a disease, something virulent and deadly. Species 2 isn't. Species 2 has their own enclaves on the planet but their inability to get sick has species 1 pissed and suspicious. When the crew picks up their distress signal One is ready to attack Two. The crew has to find a way to keep species 1 from assaulting species 2 while working for a cure to the plague. However there are memebers of Two who see this as a perfect opportunity to weaken One and maybe take over the planet. The crew investigates because the disease is engineered and specifically engineered to not infect species Two. As it turns out elements of Two have gotten outside assistance to get this tailored virus. They were hoping to weaken or even wipe out species One and use the Federation to shield them from one's wrath.

Both sides are closing in on war as a scientist from One announces that a cure might be possible, but figuring it out would require methods that would result in lots of deaths in species two. Species one is getting desperate, hundreds of thousands are dying daily. In weeks it will be millions a day. Within five years they'll be extinct. Eventually members of two come forward, volunteering for the experiments to save species one to avoid war and death.

The crew of the Enterprise would be rushing against the clock, keeping the species from going to war, hunting for a cure, and trying to find out who is behind the disease (it's the Tholians). As the first members of species two are coming forward volunteering for the experiments the crew finds out who's behind it, the locate Tholian spies, and get the cure.

The end result is species one is tremendously weakened and species two is now on par with them. However rather than really start a war species two extends and olive branch for both their species to rebuild together. Maybe species two wasn't as dull as thought, or maybe part of the deal was the Tholians giving them smart pills. The tholians were looking to pick up a new world to exploit with minimal effort and were willing to commit genocide to do it.

The crew of the Enterprise were initially not even supposed to be there. Prime Directive forbidding it but someone make the arguement that they have to help and that's when they find the disease is engineered by someone more advanced. Kirk plays fast and loose with the PD, and comes out on top.

The drama comes mostly from the crew being split on who to back and who's in the right. You can get action beats from the tholian hunt (maybe a spy ship is found for big E to take a few shots at).

It's not 100% cerebral because with no action it's unlikely it would get made. The idea is to give just enough for a few phaser shots and the Big E to get to shoot someone.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Problem is that it can't feel like an episode and has to be an epic summer blockbuster film. It is certainly possible to make a smart film and be action based. Maybe a Dark Knight ewuivilant equivalent for Star Trek.

Maybe a toning down of certain elements in the last two films that has made it annoying to people.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

McAvoy wrote:Maybe a toning down of certain elements in the last two films that has made it annoying to people.
Lens flare! :bangwall:
email, ergo spam