If you thought the warp core looked familiar in ID....

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

If you thought the warp core looked familiar in ID....

Post by LaughingCheese »

The absolute SECOND I saw the inside of the warp core, I noticed the panels and circular cutouts on the walls and I thought "hey, that looks a lot like NIF."

Well, that's because it IS NIF!!

How cheap are JJ and company on sets?? Is the budget going to the actors and the CG? That's what it looks like.

Into Darkness continues the location shooting tradition. :bangwall:

http://www.livescience.com/34480-star-t ... ility.html

What sets beside the bridge have they actually built?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: If you thought the warp core looked familiar in ID....

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The location shooting is one of the things I like about these films. Not so much :bangwall: as :partyparty:
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

I think for meat least, for lack of a better term, its like the Uncanny Valley.

I do like the industrialness, but its just too familiar.

And when its too familiar, you get (or at least I do) pulled out of the story. One thing about past Trek is it had a consistent look, even if things became more streamlined from mid-24th century to late 24th century.

This nTrek is all over the place.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I hate engineering. You got the Apple Store Bridge with corridors but the when it comes to engineering it looks like Star Wars. Beat up and dirty and industrial. Maybe to give the old idea that engineering areas of any ship in any era will look like that?

Or maybe give it a good contrast between the clean lines of command and the industrial, jagged lines of 'down below'.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I... actually really like the look.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

McAvoy wrote:I hate engineering. You got the Apple Store Bridge with corridors but the when it comes to engineering it looks like Star Wars. Beat up and dirty and industrial. Maybe to give the old idea that engineering areas of any ship in any era will look like that?

Or maybe give it a good contrast between the clean lines of command and the industrial, jagged lines of 'down below'.
That's how I take it. The accomodation and command and labs and such are all shiny and nice, whilst the engineering areas are more industrial and gritty. Just what one would expect.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I... actually really like the look.
I LOVE IT.

I work in an industrial setting on a daily basis. "Engineering" never looked particularly real to me. The new Trek series engineering areas are perfect to me. They look like an industrial facility. Heck, look at the engine room on any ship that exists today, they look a hell of a lot more like new Trek's than the office building with a weird sculpture in it look of most of Trek's industrial spaces.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The thing I like most about it is the scale. A warp core that's about six feet across never made sense to me. It just raises questions about why you don't just put two of the things in there. Or twenty for that matter. I'd be all in favour of the kind of warp cores styling we saw in the series if they were built on a scale that matched the ships, but they never are. The Abrams machinery looks like it has the kind of power a Starship would need.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Exactly. I had a pretty good idea of what the core was (in reality) but didn't care. It was the right size, it was industrial, and it looked like something you might call a warp core. Mostly, it was just fucking big. I agree with you about the regular warp core, why didn't starships have three? Even if you run on one with an active back up and a spare?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I am all for scale. I just do not like the idea of a bunch of pipes and containers. If they built the older engineering space in a similar scale but in the style of the shows then I am all for it.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I hate to tell you this but... pretty much every industrial setting you're going to find is mostly pipes and various containers. Even a nuclear reactor, it's a container, made of pipes. Fusion reactor? Container, surrounded by pipes. Pipes move things to the containers, containers hold things for pipes.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well look at the TNG warp core. Big pipes coming from above and below, going into a container, and small pipes coming from the container into the walls.

The only difference is they're made of plastic and they glow.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

While I do like the new(er) engineering -- especially over the Brewery look of the first film (which was still there but we saw less of it I think) -- I also liked the original style of Engineering. I feel like the new style misses what made Jefferies and the other original designs unique: The whole point was that In The Future(R) we can hide all of that machinery, tubing, and piping away and things will still work fine.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Hiding the pipes away is fine up until you take combat damage and have to get in there and fix the things.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tyyr wrote:I hate to tell you this but... pretty much every industrial setting you're going to find is mostly pipes and various containers. Even a nuclear reactor, it's a container, made of pipes. Fusion reactor? Container, surrounded by pipes. Pipes move things to the containers, containers hold things for pipes.
Problem is that it looks exactly like it is, a brewery. It looks cobbled together. It doesn't have the polished Trek look. I mean I hate to tell you this, but no military ship interior looks like it did in the movies or series. Corridors have exposed pipping and electrical wiring and boxes and machinery.

So its ok to have the rest of the shop be shiny white but not ok to have engineering look remotely close to the rest of the interior?