Into Darkness - the influences (SPOLIERS)

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Into Darkness - the influences (SPOLIERS)

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Could be fun to see how many things we can find in Into Darkness that reference other Star Trek films or episodes in some way.

1) Section 31, obviously, from Deep Space Nine "Inquisition" etc.

2) The archive that got blown up? The "Kelvin Memorial Archive". nice touch.

3) Admiral Marcus's office had models of the Ring Ship Enterprise from The Motion Picture, the Phoenix from First Contact, the NX test ship from "First Flight", the NX-01 from "Broken Bow", and the Kelvin from Star Trek XI.

4) Mudd's ship, as mentioned in "Mudd's Women".

5) The moon of Kronos in pieces - the Praxis explosion from Star Trek VI.

6) Transwarp beaming from the previous Star Trek XI.

7) Carol Marcus, from Star Trek II.

8) A Tribble, from Trouble with Tribbles.

9) Khan, from Space Seed and Star Trek II.

10) The death scene had some dialogue lifted from Star Trek II.

Any more?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Re: Into Darkness - the influences (SPOLIERS)

Post by Avatar2312 »

I would also add, that Marcus is like Cartwright from ST6.

Also by giving in to Khan demands they disabled his ship in ST2 and STID (tech-data in ST2, that contained the command codes to bring down the Reliant shields; the torpedoes in STID, that were set to blow).

Also we have Super-torpedoes in ST2 and STID.
Whoever finds errors in my English is welcome to keep them. I am Austrian.
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

GrahamKennedy wrote:3) Admiral Marcus's office had models of the Ring Ship Enterprise from The Motion Picture, the Phoenix from First Contact, the NX test ship from "First Flight", the NX-01 from "Broken Bow", and the Kelvin from Star Trek XI.
The ships seemed to be in a chronological order. I thought I saw the XCV-330 placed prior to the Phoenix and the NX-Alpha.
A model of the Vengence was placed after the NCC-1701 as well.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Well I suppose all the characters are a shout out to TOS.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Bones mentioning delivering Gorn octuplets when working on the torpedo with Carol.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Ooo, good one
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Can't remember who, but someone mentioned Kirk having a thing with a Nurse Chapel.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

stitch626 wrote:Can't remember who, but someone mentioned Kirk having a thing with a Nurse Chapel.
Carol Marcus mentioned that during her strip scene.
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

Hey did that blue swirly uniform that Adm Marcus put on look familiar to anyone? Maybe something from Voyager's time cops or Enterprise's temporal cold war?
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Well, the shot of the Enterprise rising above the clouds after Kirk did his retro Spock and restored warp power was somewhat reminiscent of the shot of her rising up out of Titan's atmosphere in the first Abrams film.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Avatar2312 wrote:I would also add, that Marcus is like Cartwright from ST6.
I was going to add that though Adm. Marcus wasn't collaborating with the Klingons the warmongering was similar to elements in the STVI plotline.

edited: during the confrontation between Marcus and Kirk on the Vengeance bridge (before Khan crushed his skull), the comments Marcus made to the effect of how Starfleet should be led were reminiscent by the plot of Admiral (whatsisname) in DS9: Paradise Lost to stage a coup.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Another one, since I'm on a roll lately: Sulu placed temporarily in command (and seeming to have enjoyed it by the tine he was relieved by Kirk at the end) could have been a slight nod to Sulu eventually gaining command of Excelsior.

(then again, about half the crew had the command at some point in the first Abrams film)
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Tho the ships are universes apart, the end ship-to-ship battle was still with a Federation ship this time, at least not in a nebulae. :lol:

And another one; the Enterprise and Vengeance drop out of warp by the moon and.....fall to Earth in like 5 minutes???????????

Again with the blatent scientific shenanigans!! :bangwall:
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

LaughingCheese wrote:And another one; the Enterprise and Vengeance drop out of warp by the moon and.....fall to Earth in like 5 minutes???????????
And were lurching around all over the place as though the ship were tumbling despite exterior visuals showing her falling steadily.

The whole issue of Kirk fixing the reactor was pure TWoK of course, to the extent a lot of it was a cut-and-paste (Kirk thumping Scotty, Scotty calling Spock down to engineering, the scenes of Spock running, Kirk's death, Quinto channelling Shatner to scream at the ceiling). Slightly more subtly I think Chekov said something about the deflector when he went to reset the circuit breakers, which made me think of Kirk on the E-B.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

OH ya, I forgot Spock vulcan pinched Scotty in TWoK..wow. ><

I guess, like I said, if they want to rehash something fine, but if the next one's not something original with the new cast............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... :madashell: