Into Darkness - the influences (SPOLIERS)

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Into Darkness - the influences (SPOLIERS)

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:Spock tried to Nerve Pinch Khan.
"Tried"? While it didn't drop him the way it should have, it at least seemed to slow him down. In any event, I don't think one of the standard characteristics of Vulcans can really be called an example of a specific influence.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

It's not exactly something outside the genre and not something we've even seen done all that often or in the last movie.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Tyyr wrote:It's not exactly something outside the genre and not something we've even seen done all that often or in the last movie.
We certainly did see it last time - Spock used a nerve pinch to drop Kirk before he threw him off the ship.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Ok, fine. However how is it not an influence but something like the NX-01 which was in an entire series does make the OP list?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Tyyr wrote:Ok, fine. However how is it not an influence but something like the NX-01 which was in an entire series does make the OP list?
Because the NX-01 has only turned up in a single series. Vulcans have been nerve pinching people in every single series.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Interestingly the nerve pinch seemed to actually hurt but not stop him. Pinches have always seemed painless before.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

IIRC the nerve pinch in 'Conspiracy' seemed to be hurting Riker as well.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

GrahamKennedy wrote:Interestingly the nerve pinch seemed to actually hurt but not stop him. Pinches have always seemed painless before.
It's probably a side effect of it not stopping him - pretty hard for something to hurt if you're unconscious.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Not on the current topic, but about Praxis...

So the Klingons are even more insular in this timeline?

Now that I think of it, did Marcus mention something about disastrous first contact with the Klingons or whatever?

And I guess it didn't give off a subspace shockwave or whatever..
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Didn't Praxis blow up well past this point in "history" in the regular/old timeline? Like... 35-40 years later?
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Jim wrote:Didn't Praxis blow up well past this point in "history" in the regular/old timeline? Like... 35-40 years later?
Yep. Guess they messed up earlier in this one.

Kind of makes sense if we assume that the Narada provoked everyone into building massive ships. Bigger ships means more energy requirement means pushing the Praxis mines even harder.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Jim wrote:Didn't Praxis blow up well past this point in "history" in the regular/old timeline? Like... 35-40 years later?
Assuming that a) that was Praxis and b) it was breaking up due to an accident. While that was probably what it was intended to (and did) conjure memories of, it's possible that what we saw was a mining operating on a colossal scale, with lumps of the moon being broken off and carted off the shipyards or what have you.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I took it to be Praxis, the image and scope / scale of the damage was so similar that I could think it was anything else. The other thing that came to mind was that it was the likely cause of the evacuation of the area where Khan was hiding. Remember that is ST-VI it was stated that the Klingon home world would be uninhabitable within 50 years.
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:
Assuming that a) that was Praxis and b) it was breaking up due to an accident.
Yes, assuming that. Pretty safe assumption, I'd have thought. Moon destroying cataclysms are not terribly common, after all. To lose some other moon to some other disaster? It begins to look like carelessness.
While that was probably what it was intended to (and did) conjure memories of, it's possible that what we saw was a mining operating on a colossal scale, with lumps of the moon being broken off and carted off the shipyards or what have you.
Perhaps.

As Ian said, it was also my impression that the planet was suffering from the effects of whatever happened to the moon. Nothing directly links the two to be sure, but the surface conditions looked pretty bad, and the whole area Khan was in had been abandoned despite obviously having been pretty populated at one time. And just as in ST VI, this would have been a potential impetus for the Klingons to become more aggressive, perhaps.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

So I wonder what caused it to crack in this timeline? Are Klingons that much MORE aggressive and careless?

Another ref: Did anyone notice the shuttle Scotty was pioloting to the Vengeance drdock was VERY similar to the Galileo type shuttlecraft from the original series? Not the updated ones for the original movies, but THE Galileo type. I thought that was a really neat shuttle and I don't really remember those being in the first film.