Into Darkness - the influences (SPOLIERS)

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Into Darkness - the influences (SPOLIERS)

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I think this one was to try and establish the whole thing more firmly, and hopefully they'll go for their other idea for the next one. They said they debated whether to have an exploration story for this one; the ending certainly sets that up.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:And were lurching around all over the place as though the ship were tumbling despite exterior visuals showing her falling steadily.
Actually, having seen it twice now the ship is tumbling while falling. There are several shots where the ship is shown to rotate in a certain way and then the interior rotates in a consistent manor. There's even a line from Scotty about 'stabilising' the ship.
email, ergo spam
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

That would be centrifugal pull, then. Nice touch.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Tsukiyumi wrote:That would be centrifugal pull, then. Nice touch.
Hmm... I think it was meant to be more just simple 'Gravity'. All be it a highly concentrated effect.
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:And were lurching around all over the place as though the ship were tumbling despite exterior visuals showing her falling steadily.
There was a line in there about the gravity malfunctioning. I took that interior tumbling to be the gravity field fluctuating around all over the place....
Slightly more subtly I think Chekov said something about the deflector when he went to reset the circuit breakers, which made me think of Kirk on the E-B.
Ah, I remember thinking about that when he said it. Good one.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Admiral Pike telling Kirk they gave the Enterprise back to him was slightly reminiscent of Kirk telling Scotty the same thing in TMP. I did say slightly.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Anyone else notice....I just realized...that the Enterprise's mission to Vulcan and battle with the Narada in the first film was its actual FIRST mission, and they left with ID the FIRST five year mission.

Interesting. Whatever happened between IX and ID must have been short jonts around Federation space.

And seriously, the Feds had never taken on long duration missions like that before?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

kostmayer wrote:Admiral Pike telling Kirk they gave the Enterprise back to him was slightly reminiscent of Kirk telling Scotty the same thing in TMP. I did say slightly.
More than slightly - he used the exact same phrase, almost the same inflection as Shatner.
LaughingCheese wrote:Interesting. Whatever happened between IX and ID must have been short jonts around Federation space.
It's a bit over a year later. The stardate given for XI (not Insurrection :P ) was 2258.42 (call it 2 June), ID was 2259.55 (20 July). However, given the speed of warp in the Abramsverse they could easily have been halfway across the galaxy on some of those trips.
And seriously, the Feds had never taken on long duration missions like that before?
The Abramsverse starfleet was described as "a peacekeeping armada" in XI, and while they described themselves as explorers in ID, all the missions we've seen have had specific objectives - launch from Earth, do the job, return to Earth. It's certainly doable, given the speeds involved.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
There was a line in there about the gravity malfunctioning. I took that interior tumbling to be the gravity field fluctuating around all over the place....
No the line was that the artificial gravity had failed
email, ergo spam
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

McCoy performing surgery on a torpedo?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

kostmayer wrote:McCoy performing surgery on a torpedo?
Despite a few hints at STVI, they missed the opportunity to have the Klingons quote Shakespeare!

What's in a name? That which we call Khan by any other name would smell as foul.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Heh, was watching The Undiscovered Country earlier. Best use of Shakespeare in Trek ever

"I am constant as the northern star"
"I'd give real money if he'd shut up."

The more original Trek I watch, the more I think Urban has the character McCoy nailed.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

IanKennedy wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:
No the line was that the artificial gravity had failed
He says "Gravity systems are failing". That doesn't necessarily mean that they have stopped functioning completely.

We also don't get an external view during the scenes where the insides are 90 degrees off kilter. Perhaps it was tumbling that much.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

GrahamKennedy wrote: He says "Gravity systems are failing". That doesn't necessarily mean that they have stopped functioning completely.

We also don't get an external view during the scenes where the insides are 90 degrees off kilter. Perhaps it was tumbling that much.
I watched it pretty closely the second time around. The times when the gravity moved matched times when the ship rotated. We look for it again next time.
email, ergo spam
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Spock tried to Nerve Pinch Khan.