STID review/discussion for those who've seen it SPOILERS!!!

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: STID review/discussion for those who've seen it SPOILERS

Post by LaughingCheese »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:
LaughingCheese wrote:This might be off topic to the current discussion but I just realized, did the Enterprise even fire a shot this movie?
I had the same thought. Spock beamed over the 72 torpedoes set to detonate to disable Vengeance but I don't recall seeing Enterprise fire a phaser or torpedo conventionally.

LOL true.

Also yeah, I found it very confusing as to weather the torpedoes were actually live or not, but I guess that does settle the question. :lol:

Kind of risky gamble to hide your people in live warheads..

And why was the torp so big that it could fit a cryo stasis chamber??

I guess like a multi-stage rocket, that must have been more fuel, with the main warhead up front.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

LaughingCheese wrote:
Captain Picard's Hair wrote:
LaughingCheese wrote:This might be off topic to the current discussion but I just realized, did the Enterprise even fire a shot this movie?
I had the same thought. Spock beamed over the 72 torpedoes set to detonate to disable Vengeance but I don't recall seeing Enterprise fire a phaser or torpedo conventionally.

LOL true.

Also yeah, I found it very confusing as to weather the torpedoes were actually live or not, but I guess that does settle the question. :lol:

Kind of risky gamble to hide your people in live warheads..

And why was the torp so big that it could fit a cryo stasis chamber??

I guess like a multi-stage rocket, that must have been more fuel, with the main warhead up front.
Previous shots of Torpedoes in Trek have been pretty big too; in STII a torpedo case was able to contain Spock's body for his space burial, not to mention TNG-era shots of similar size.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:As an aside, it just struck me that if Scotty invented it in the future in the original universe, where were the signs of it in TNG-era Trek?
I got the impression that post-Relics Scotty perfected the mathematics sometime after Nemesis, but pre-2387.
I noticed that as well. They were pretty handily outmatched, but they never even fired once, that I recall. I hope the ship sees some action in the next movie against a more conventional opponent.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Previous shots of Torpedoes in Trek have been pretty big too; in STII a torpedo case was able to contain Spock's body for his space burial, not to mention TNG-era shots of similar size.

True but it wasn't functional; it may have had a small thruster pack in the back to get it into orbit (I should try that in KSP, how much fuel do you need to orbit?) but IIRC they took everything else out.

Would be kind of lame if your space memorial was blown up by a defective warhead... :lol:
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I did a quick and dirty size estimate and got 13 feet for the length. That's almost twice the length of a standard photon torpedo casing.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Must be super high octane anti-matter then.. :lol:

EDIT: Another thing; you still have to sign for things in the 23rd century!!! :laughroll:
Last edited by LaughingCheese on Thu May 23, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don-Okay
Petty officer second class
Petty officer second class

Post by Don-Okay »

Putting a body in that.... Does no one even ask questions about its size and properties?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Scotty does. In fact he's quite insistent about it, and then resigns in protest over it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

I was just thinking, why didn't Spock ever bother to TELL Khan that his people were FINE??

His inaction caused the deaths of probably 2-3 times more people than 9/11.

Sure Khan may have crashed the Vengeance into Starfleet HQ anyway, but maybe Khan would have been slightly more reasonable if he'd known his people were safe?

Maybe he would have just plotted something instead of actually doing something.

EDIT:

http://bbot.org/badtranscript-startrek2.html

:laughroll:
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

:laughroll:
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

So when Khan has his wrath, it's going to be directed against Spock and not Kirk?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Probably both.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Spock. Kirk wasn't really that influential in how things turned out and spent more time aiding Khan than opposing him. Spock was the one who beamed over the torpedoes and Spock was the one who beat him on the hover garbage truck. The last Khan saw of Kirk was him on the floor holding his stomach after Khan tried to kick his ribs out through his back.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

So.... the old Spock didn't warn Starfleet about the Borg or Dominion?
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

He says something about taking an oath to not blab about things that would affect people's destiny's or some such bullshit.