STID review/discussion for those who've seen it SPOILERS!!!

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: STID review/discussion for those who've seen it SPOILERS

Post by SomosFuga »

I just saw it and i really like it.

It wasn't hard to realise that Khan's people were in the torps but i got wrong Marcus's plan. I thought Khan and Marcus were together and they were trying to put the augments on Kronos and make a preemptive strike on the klingons.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Any reason you can't use one of those transporters to transport another transporter to the destination?
Yep. Just finish reading, before you start to quote :P
I meant a GOOD reason :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Any reason you can't use one of those transporters to transport another transporter to the destination?
You know these would be really great questions for something like a TV series to explore.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by Avatar2312 »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
You mean leaving technology behind, that represents your total travelling advantage, at the mercy of a timed or remote detonator is no good reason for you?
Sorry. Then there are no good reasons for you - and never will be, no matter the reason :P
Whoever finds errors in my English is welcome to keep them. I am Austrian.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Avatar2312 wrote:You mean leaving technology behind, that represents your total travelling advantage, at the mercy of a timed or remote detonator is no good reason for you?
Sorry. Then there are no good reasons for you - and never will be, no matter the reason :P
In a world where a weapon the size of a pack of cigarettes can disintegrate a piece of hardware so that there is literally nothing whatsoever left of it? No, that's not a good reason. It is in fact a terrible, awful reason.

Hell man, you're siding with the JANEWAY idea of what's reasonable here!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

I be honest I thought this one was mildly better than the last one, everyone seemed more comfortable in the roles this go around. Overall I liked the movie. My favorite part is at the first half of the film where the choice to promote kirk so quickly came back to bit Starfleet, it was a nice way to correct what I felt was the biggest weakness of the first film. Overall I liked it, was fast paced, had a decent plot , and some great humor throughout the show. I wish it was a bit more character driven than it was, it elements were there but for some reason it didn't quiet get there fully (At least until the end of the film, as I said there were some great individual scenes but would have liked to have seen that throughout the whole show not just here and there).
Genius insania et conseri manum
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The review my astronomer Phil Plait of Bad Astronomy.

Link

Se he thinks "meh"
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I saw it. I was told I am not allowed to go to movies with the people I went with. When Kirk went into the radiation I just whispered to myself, "wait, but the blood of Khan" and then they were like ready to kill me. I did the same thing about Iron Man 3 and the ending with Pepper which they wanted to kill me for as well.
But other than that I enjoyed it. I didn't think it was nearly as strong as the first movie was, the character driven portions were fun. The end fight scene between Khan and Spock annoyed me because Khan went from being ready to kill anyone who stood in his way to pansily tossing Spock into things that didn't kill him the first time. I know it was plot driven, but I wish there was a more reasonable reason why Khan didn't just throw Spock off of the flying car. Also the way that they just threw in the Tribble coming back to life at just the right time was so awkward and obvious, it seemed like they were trying to be dramatic but instead it looked like they were trying to retcon something that they did only like 30 seconds before.

Also, something I just now thought of, how come they refroze him. The only thing I can think of is to use him for "super-blood' which is a horrible reason to keep a being alive. Because they have seen that they can't peacefully revive them. So are they just going to keep them in indefinite stasis, or are they planning on bringing them back later or something along those lines.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Nickswitz wrote: Also, something I just now thought of, how come they refroze him. The only thing I can think of is to use him for "super-blood' which is a horrible reason to keep a being alive. Because they have seen that they can't peacefully revive them. So are they just going to keep them in indefinite stasis, or are they planning on bringing them back later or something along those lines.
For the same reason Kirk marooned them in TOS.

The tribble thing is not much of an issue (yeah the timing was hoky..), it took a whole day for the thing to revive, Kirk took 2 weeks.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

GrahamKennedy wrote: So... did Marcus know that Khan's people were in the torpedoes when he sent them? Seems to me that finding out and foiling Khan's escape plan would pretty much have to involve finding the sleepers in the torpedoes. But if so, why send them to Kirk? That seems monumentally stupid. The torpedoes still exploded, so why not pull the sleepers out continue to use his people as leverage against Khan, or if you want rid of them just shoot each one in the head? Or did they not have any fuel with the sleepers inside, in which case what was the point of sending Kirk to shoot them at Kronos anyway since it wouldn't actually do anything to Khan and would just leave Kirk staring at a bunch of torpedoes floating around outside the ship?
Marcus did know (Khan says this in his "sad" tale about trying to rescue his people). The Torpedoes had live warheads still in them. Marcus expected Kirk to fire the torps at Khan and blow him up (along with starting a war with the Klingons since the Enterprise would be unable to warp away). Presumably they would have enough momentum from launch to carry them to the surface.

And his plan was only blown because Kirk has a working moral compass and didn't fire the torpedos. He hadn't discovered a thing about them.
And Marcus had a backup plan. Blowing up the Enterprise. Which didn't work as we saw, because her hero shield was stronger.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

stitch626 wrote:
Nickswitz wrote: Also, something I just now thought of, how come they refroze him. The only thing I can think of is to use him for "super-blood' which is a horrible reason to keep a being alive. Because they have seen that they can't peacefully revive them. So are they just going to keep them in indefinite stasis, or are they planning on bringing them back later or something along those lines.

The tribble thing is not much of an issue (yeah the timing was hoky..), it took a whole day for the thing to revive, Kirk took 2 weeks.
So are they going to be used in the future as a tool to reanimate people that die. Because that seems like a jerk thing to do. I feel like that violates something in the federation charter.

Also, I actually enjoyed the thought behind the prime directive being put into place, in the use it had in the movie it actually made sense rather than a lot of the stupid applications it was given in the other Star Trek series.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Nickswitz wrote:
stitch626 wrote:

So are they going to be used in the future as a tool to reanimate people that die. Because that seems like a jerk thing to do. I feel like that violates something in the federation charter.
I doubt they would. But just killing them wouldn't be the "moral" thing to do. Whereas they could keep them on ice indefinitely.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

So they are going to keep them frozen till someday, somehow they escape?
They should kill them all
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Okay, saw it again. Random thoughts...

Yes, Marcus clearly did know. I still think it's stupid that he would knowingly give Kirk the torpedoes with Khan's people inside rather that taking them out and then giving Kirk the torps. BUT... given the scene where they are trying to look inside and nearly set the thing off, it occurs to me that maybe Marcus couldn't remove them. Maybe he didn't know how. And since they were the only weapons he could use to reach Kronos from outside Klingon space, he had no choice but to do it.

Still stupid that he would put Kirk in charge... but again, firing on Kronos was something Spock thought clearly wrong. Maybe most Starfleet officers would refuse and Marcus figured that a maverick rule breaker like Kirk would be perfect because he would be willing to do it, for revenge over Pike. Makes sense to me.

Um, they need Khan alive for his blood? But they have 72 other genetic supermen right there on the ship! They'd already unfrozen one of them to put Kirk in the tube! Use THAT guy's blood, and blow Khan's head off!

Kind of surprised anybody thinks Starfleet would just summarily execute Khan's people. The Federation doesn't even have a death penalty that we know of (Talos aside). Even if they have, and are prepared to use it on Khan... his popsicle people haven't actually done anything illegal yet. Summary mass executions of people because they might break the law? Really?

Oooo, Ian just realised - the guy who blows up the London archive? With the daughter? It's Mickey the idiot from Doctor Who!!!!!
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Did I misunderstand, or does the neo-E seem to have broadside torpedo launchers?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939