Final US Domestic Trailer Revealed

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Final US Domestic Trailer Revealed

Post by Tyyr »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:That's an interesting idea. I've been wondering how Harrison could have gotten such a big ship ever since, well, yesterday. He's described as a 'top operative' (whatever that means) but he'd need access to a huge amount of resources to have built that. We've speculated that development has accelerated for Starfleet in this new universe ever since the Narada/Kelvin battle so the Excelsior program could have gotten a head start/been fast tracked. As an insider Harrison would have advanced knowledge of these secret programs.

*there's also room for overlap between this and the "Section 31/covert branch" theory
That was my thinking. The Narada kicked the shit out of the fleet in its entirety. Given this threat demonstration they might have sped up plans to build a newer, larger class of starships.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Reminds me of the Ambassador class.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Given that they talk about him being one of their operatives, I was thinking that he is the Captain of that ship. He's the anti-Kirk, essentially, and he and his crew have gone rogue or something?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I was talking yesterday with Tsu and Kendall and we were wondering if this was the start of a civil war in the Federation stemming from the destruction of Vulcan.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!

It's the biggest UFP ship ever, no?

JJ clearly loves big ships, as a good Star Wars fan (I had my crush for big ships too when younger ^^) but with ships of same era going from 300 to 1600m... I think he will not stop and we will see again bigger ship in 2015.

I just don't see... How secrets agents who are supposed to be "stealth" can have the use of something so big and visible?
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Physical size would count for very little indeed as far as detection range in space is concerned. Even a ship this large would be an invisible dot once it was a hundred miles or so away.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I subscribe to the idea that the timeline not only changed but he makeup of the universe overall. Which would explain the excessive size of the ships, people not looking like what they looked like in the Prime Verse etc.

Insert quantum Abrams-effect on everything.

I was kinda hoping his guy was a second in command or a high ranking agent to Khan who reveals himself at the end.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Physical size would count for very little indeed as far as detection range in space is concerned. Even a ship this large would be an invisible dot once it was a hundred miles or so away.
It's a good point but with the Star Trek sensors able to lock a specific someone from orbit it's true that I start thinking at them as able to detect everything not cloaked. ^^
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Physical size would count for very little indeed as far as detection range in space is concerned. Even a ship this large would be an invisible dot once it was a hundred miles or so away.
It would also stand out like a sore thumb from its waste heat.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Which no one in Trek seems to think of.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Which no one in almost any Sci-Fi seems to remember.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

They quantum stuff like that away with shields ect.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
At that point you're into how well sensors work along with shields, cloaking, etc, most of which may as well be magic moonbeams and fairy dust for all the attention that's given to real science in Star Trek.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tyyr wrote:The perspective could be skewed.

That said, Excelsior?
It does show some of the design features. Bulked central hull and extended saucer section. Growth rates being double(ish) in the A-Verse, it very well could represent the Excelsior project. Remember the size difference between the Ent-A and the Excelsior and later Ent-B.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu