stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis and Poster Revealed

Post by stitch626 »

Just had a theory.

Mitchell prime didn't die.

There is my random thought of the day.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Hmm...that's a nice idea actually.

However, do the writers of the new trek even now the old series that well to remember one character? Or more to the point, how likely is it that they use a minor-villain character most of their target audience has never heard from and make it's story essential to the plot?

You can hardly expect that the people know of gary mitchell, so you have to tell his story in flashbacks (or worse, just talk about it)...all kind of headaches imho - altough it would be cool to have some flashbacks to the 60ies prime universe, lol.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Jim wrote:I didn't think that it was the E coming up out of the water. You can clearly see the nacells but it doesn't appear to be a "saucer section" more like a tube (facing away)...
That was my initial reaction as well, but if you look very closely at a screencap of that scene, you can read NCC 17..., so it might be her.
Unless it is simply an extremely odd angle... I still say that that specific shot is not the Enterprise.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

If you watch the video when the ship is rising out you can see something where the saucer should be:

I circled what looked like the shadow of the edge starting to rise out, it's easier to see the shift in the water there when you watch the sequence.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Lt. Staplic wrote:If you watch the video when the ship is rising out you can see something where the saucer should be:

I circled what looked like the shadow of the edge starting to rise out, it's easier to see the shift in the water there when you watch the sequence.
Also remember that the nacelles completely clear the top of the saucer.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Atekimogus wrote:Hmm...that's a nice idea actually.

However, do the writers of the new trek even now the old series that well to remember one character? Or more to the point, how likely is it that they use a minor-villain character most of their target audience has never heard from and make it's story essential to the plot?
I think they are. All of them (with the possible exception of JJ), well the writers at least, have mostly admitted to being fans of the original. I think if the story potential is there they will use it.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

AAAhhhhh.... so what I am looking at is just a continuation of the nacell...? Why is there no water pouring off the section that you highlighted?
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Probably because it's just breaching the surface? Maybe it isn't far enough out of the water for cascading water to be noticeable (the saucer is a bit lower than the nacelles if I recall).
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

From the point that the sequence starts to the point that it ends the saucer doesn't get very far out of the water since it sits lower than the nacelles. The only reason I think it's the saucer is the dark shadow band that appears and gets larger like a Saucer hull was there.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Reminds me of the scene from Independence Day
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

New trailer is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5gdbUC9 ... r_embedded

Nothing new but looks good imho. The bridge is the same, which is good. The rest of the ship is still a brewery....which is less good but at least consistent. (Although I find the thought of a beer-powered starship disturbingly attractive.)

Like the muscial nod to the first movie at the end, I thought it had a good score.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Broken link
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Technically not. The link's fine, but the bastard lawyers got there not long after Ate.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Interesting...I got the link from an article on imdb.com....which is also no longer there, lol, I guess it's not supposed to be out yet.

Well you haven't missed much, there isn't anything "new" really, just more half second action cuts from the movie giving nothing away storywise with ominous narration and lot's of punching.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

You can see the Teaser Trailer here