What may be in Trek XII? (potential spoilers!)

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: What may be in Trek XII? (potential spoilers!)

Post by McAvoy »

GrahamKennedy wrote:They often act like destroying the "hero" world will destroy the whole society - everyone acts like the Federation will instantly collapse into chaos if Earth is lost, and the Praxis thing was said to have left the Klingon Empire with "fifty years of life left to it". Just one of those odd little conventions of the show.
I don't think it would destroy the society honestly. Destroying Earth will wipe out Starfleet HQ, the Federation Council, Starfleet Academy and would be a huge moral blow to the Federation. But the Federation would still survive as there are other worlds just as important as Earth (or at least as politically powerful). This is unlike the monocultures like the Romulans and the Klingons where they would have a limit and possibly smaller population than the UFP. I mean in order for the Klingons and the Romulans to keep up with Federation member worlds and total population they would have breed even faster than rabbits.

You could argue that the Romulans and the Klingons probably have slave worlds with huge populations but I doubt destruction of those worlds wouldn't be as effective as the destruction of Romulus or Qronos.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I wonder how the Roman Empire would have fared if Rome had been wiped from the map one day?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

It would almost certainly have fragmented, with local governors and military commanders settling up their own little fiefdoms.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I could see the Klingon or Romulan Empires going the same way if their homeworlds were wiped out. It wouldn't be the end of the species, but the Empire as a cohesive unified political and military force? Yeah, I could see that.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I wonder how the Roman Empire would have fared if Rome had been wiped from the map one day?
Depends when exactly you mean. If you mean later rather than earlier, it would have just meant that Byzantium would have had greater prominence.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I wonder how the Roman Empire would have fared if Rome had been wiped from the map one day?
Definitely would have destroyed the Roman Empire. All of those top officials, the money, the pride and so forth wiped out would have fragmented the Empire even though Rome itself contributed little to rest of the Empire in terms of raw resources.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I could see the Klingon or Romulan Empires going the same way if their homeworlds were wiped out. It wouldn't be the end of the species, but the Empire as a cohesive unified political and military force? Yeah, I could see that.
For the Romulans, a lot of it depends on the damage the Tal'shiar take.

For the Klingons, the damage would lead to a brief civil war as the leaders of the Great Houses fight for power. Give it a year and the effects outside of population will be forgotten.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I didn't mean logic is terms of ligical in their own mind... I menat logic in that the viewer can see where they are coming from. I am sorry for bringing it up again, there was that whole other Nero specific thread. I will drop it :)
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Ok, I am a bit late but to come back to the original topic, what I heard, and it really is just a rumour also, is that the story DOES involve Khan, HOWEVER that Cumberbatch is not playing Khan but JOACHIM.

(You know, the slightly less insane right hand man)

Make of that what you will, I would find it a nice twist. Maybe have Khan only as cameo somewhere or still frozen in his pod etc..

PS Just remember, if I happen to be correct I get to tell you "Told you so"! :lol:
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Oh, interesting! That does kind of make sense.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

He kinda look like the part too. Excellent. I still wonder who Khan is though.

So they are going to a Sherlock Holmes and not show Khan until XIII?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

At the end Joachim could by dying and Kirk grabs him and says "Who sent you! Who are you working for!"

And Joachim says... "KHAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!"

:happydevil:
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

:lol:
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

GrahamKennedy wrote:At the end Joachim could by dying and Kirk grabs him and says "Who sent you! Who are you working for!"

And Joachim says... "KHAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!"

:happydevil:
That'll work for me. I don't expect much from the Abramsverse except to be entertained.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Honestly that would be a GREAT tie in.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu